• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Punter retires

Who should take Punter's spot?

• Rob Quiney

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alex Doolan

• Peter Forrest

• David Hussey

• Brad Haddin

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
According to twitter, he's pulling stumps after the WACA test.

All I can say is he is an out and out legend of the game. 41 test centuries, average of 52ish. In his prime he was so good to watch, one of the three best bats of the past 25 years.

I'll be cheering for one last ton this weekend.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm glad they've given him the tap on the shoulder and told him to announce his retirement.

It's much better than letting him play this test and then telling him he is dropped.

Hopefully he goes out on a high and produces a match winning innings in a crucial test.

In my opinion Hughes and Khawaja are still the next two batsmen in line. Both are performing very well this year.

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
Absolutely he's been a legend of the game, a true champ. Though I mostly mean that for ability with the bat and as a fielder, as a personality and a team leader he was always only so-so, I don't think he was ever terribly inspirational and wasn't the world's greatest captain.

But he should have retired a few years ago, it's been pretty undignified this crap the last few seasons.

Sad to see him go, but it's about time he went.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Always good for the legends to go with their dignity intact and retiring on their terms rather than hang around like rotting fish and end up being sacked.

Many pleasant memories of his ruthless batsmanship and Captaincy, when at his prime.

Let us hope that his last Test innings doesn't replicate the Don's.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
But he should have retired a few years ago, it's been pretty undignified this crap the last few seasons.

His last home series against India was great- a hundred and a double, as well as a couple of fifties. IMO it just confirmed his champion status, as people were calling for his head back then and he responded in fine style.

He's still averaging in the 40s for 2012, not to mention racking up big scores in the Shield.

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
I think he would have retired a couple of years ago if Kallis and Tendulkar hadn't kept trucking. He's realised now that he isn't going to outlive them on the wicket and probably made peace with his record and legacy.

Well done punter. Thanks for all the memories. See ya at the TAB.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Ponting is a great Australian figure - given cricket's status in India, and the number of people who live there, he is probably the most famous, or recognisable, Australian of all time.

Honestly hope he smashes a century and we take these Saffers to the cleaners.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Great player. One of our best and in the top couple or so world wide in the last 15 years. I'm glad he's pulling the pin though, but only because I don't want to see the ageing prize fighter staggering around the ring.

Well played Ricky, enjoy your retirement.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sadness for me, Ricky has been my favourite aus cricket since border. It's time though, you could see it on his face in Adelaide after two shocking dismissals (by his standards anyway). THanks Ricky, I hope they do something for you during each of the lankan tests or at least in Sydney as plenty will join me in wanting to say farewell.

And so that bring us to who will come into the team and who will bat at four. I would bring kawahja back in, but haven't decided on the order yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.