• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qantas

Status
Not open for further replies.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Just saw the union guy interviewed on TV where he challenged the Qantas claim that they didn't have enough work for the Melbourne crew. He said the Qantas Brisbane facility is swamped with too much work and regularly incurs 2000 hrs per week of overtime.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just saw the union guy interviewed on TV where he challenged the Qantas claim that they didn't have enough work for the Melbourne crew. He said the Qantas Brisbane facility is swamped with too much work and regularly incurs 2000 hrs per week of overtime.

Avalon is fitted to do 747 work. Qantas 747 fleet has been diminishing since the A380s came on board. So either Qantas stump up the cash to refit Avalon, which wouldn't make much sense given they shut Sydney years ago and Tullamarine not that long ago. Brisbane does the major 737 and 767 heavy maintenance work so it got the massive cash injection and investment in new technology etc.

Given there was only a small amount of Qantas direct employees and the majority of LAMEs were employed by a contractor (Forstaff), Avalon has been vulnerable for a while now.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Avalon is fitted to do 747 work. Qantas 747 fleet has been diminishing since the A380s came on board. So either Qantas stump up the cash to refit Avalon, which wouldn't make much sense given they shut Sydney years ago and Tullamarine not that long ago. Brisbane does the major 737 and 767 heavy maintenance work so it got the massive cash injection and investment in new technology etc.

Given there was only a small amount of Qantas direct employees and the majority of LAMEs were employed by a contractor (Forstaff), Avalon has been vulnerable for a while now.
Thanks for that.
Do you know what the % mix is for cabin crew staff v contractors?

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
How much longer does Alan Joyce need?
http://www.smh.com.au/business/comm...nger-does-alan-joyce-need-20140228-33pmd.html

"Alan Joyce praised the courage and dedication of his management team at his press conference on Thursday. I would like to ask him how much courage and dedication it takes to sit in a cosy office, on a large salary, firing people?
This courageous and dedicated team, under his leadership, has failed to deliver any profits at Qantas International and the workforce is paying the price for that failure. Courage is facing the Taliban in Afghanistan or landing an aircraft is appalling conditions, not sitting about firing loyal employees and going home in a company-financed car."
Michael Stanbridge Bonnet Bay

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/smh-letters/re-joyce-if-only-qantas-boss-was-top-of-list-to-lose-job-20140227-33mky.html#ixzz2uanR4aKt

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
IMO Alan Joyce has a hidden agenda for Qantas. This may or may not involve the board and senior management.

There is much more to this story than meets the eye.

No, I'm not wearing a tin-foil hat (before you ask).

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
IMO Alan Joyce has a hidden agenda for Qantas. This may or may not involve the board and senior management.

There is much more to this story than meets the eye.

No, I'm not wearing a tin-foil hat (before you ask).

Do you have directions to Area 51 then?

T

Train Without a Station

Can't say I'm surprised to see Qantas performing so poorly after flying with them for business last week. An hour delay due to an unavoidable technical issue requiring a plane change on the way there, then 2 hour delay to my return flight in the evening.

The further delay likely related to the original delay so I guess that may have been unavoidable.

The poor service is what left me disappointed though. Firstly when checking in to return the attendant did not even offer to look for available seats on the earlier flights which had also been delayed. I potentially could have boarded a flight to leave the same time If I had known but didn't see it had been delayed until it closed. I managed to get on an (90 minute delay instead) earlier flight by going to another Qantas customer service desk and asking after I had already been waiting 45 minutes.

Since I knew I was being delayed I went and got dinner, rather than eating at 9pm when I got home. After eating Qantas broadcast on the loudspeaker that presenting your boarding pass at any food outlet, your meal would be complimentary. This would have been nice to know when I realised my flight was delayed 2 hours at check in, much like when the service desk attendant informed me I would be afforded Qantas Club privileges also with around 15 minutes to boarding my revised flight home.

Why would you pay any premium above a discount airline to fly Qantas if that's the way they look after you unless you continually follow up? Delays are certainly unavoidable, but considering the delay was from early in the day and all flights appeared to be delayed, they should have resolved how they would compensate passengers and advised them on check in. Taking customers for granted is why they are leaving.

Funnily enough my housemate worked for Jetstar until a month ago and whenever a delay was apparent when a customer checked in, they would transfer them to an earlier flight if one was available and had seats available and would offer food vouchers to try and compensate for the delay. Interesting that the discount arm can manage this but not the full service arm.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I never understood how QANTAS could still charge so much for flights. Then I saw their lounge in Melbourne, with all that free shit lying around, and figured the dicks had no idea.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think the Ethiad revelations indicate the real problems in the international airline industry.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
When are the QANTAS board going to call time on Alan Joyce? Al was insistent on getting his own way while shafting some very competent senior staff on his appointment, merely because they were rivals in his quest for the top job. A lot of excellent people left QANTAS at the time for no good reason. The industrial strife he precipitated during the CHOGM meeting in Perth was a monument to appalling timing. If not the board I'm sure a lot of QANTAS passengers'd like to see a change of direction at the top.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Status
Not open for further replies.