• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Country - official NRC thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Apparently at the AGM on Saturday it was mentioned that they had the teams for 2 years. Not sure exactly what that means in terms of managing them though.

Gramps

Frank Row (1)
Queensland Country Thoroughbreds.

Queensland Country Stockhorse. Bred for Australian conditions.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Not sure a country name will get to far on the GC. I'm thinking it needs to appeal to both audiences although it may get confusing.

Queensland Country - Surfers, Rips, Meter Maidso_O, Bikies

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
And therein lies the problem.

I wonder if you just leave it as QLD Country. You could market it as the "QC (Quade Cooper)'s" (no Quade Cooper gags please) and get some big law firm to sponsor the naming rights. The Smith & Jones QC (Quade Cooper)'s. :D

God that's terrible. But the lads would have a much better chance should they find themselves in front of the judiciary with a QC (Quade Cooper) defending them!

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Anyone else going to support QLD Country?

For sure. Can't wait to see the 'East Coast Aces' running around again.
Seems like I'm one of the only ones to admit to following them at Carrara the first time around.

Who wouldn't want to see this again ?

13884545976_9526e627ea_o_d.jpg

P.S. Not my photo. Original source

RugbyDan78

Frank Row (1)
Didn't see a thread yet for this team, and since I probably would align my support with this team I figured a thread would be good.

One of the points of discussion on this team has been the lack of clarity whether the team is under the control of GDCRU because of the choice of playing ground. My last post on this was here:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/co...y-championship-2014.13799/page-46#post-585125

Points to discuss:
Name? If not the Qld Country Heelers then what?
If Nambour didn't already own the moniker, the 'Cane Toads' would have been perfect!

What players originated in the country? Is the QRU defining "origin-based" as 'born in', 'trained by', or 'rep'd for' country unions.

I would think that players who have rep'd for the Heelers would be the strict minimal eligibility for this team, but what about players that started playing at country HS's and moved to Brissy for uni. Or what about those that were born in the country regions, but boarded at Brisbane HS's?

Super 15 Candidates:
Kiap in the "Distribution of Players" article, proposed that these S15 players belong to QLD country:

Daley, Holmes, Slipper (WB squad)
S. Fainga'a (WB squad)
O'Donoghue, Enever, Simmons (WB squad)
Quirk, Robinson, Schatz
B. Lucas
Tapuai, A. Fainga'a
Davies, Feauai-Sautia
Toua

Anyone on that list who doesn't belong or anyone that should?

Brisbane Comp Candidates:
Tigerland12 posted on a different thread that these players from the Brisbane comp would feed the Brisbane & Country teams -

Easts: Parraka, Ready, Sanday, Enever, Gunn, Mullins, Brandon, White, Placid, Seuteni, Toua, Quirk, Turner

University: Owen, Hanson, McDuling, Browning, Buchanan, Gale, Taulagi, Davies, Harris, Faagese, Johnson

GPS: Kite, Frisby. Kerevi, Kuridrani,

Brothers: Beauchamp, Shipperely, Greene

Wests: O'Donoghue,Genia

Norths: Vuki

Souths: Robinson

Sunnybank: WTS Hooker, Ah Wong, Taefu, Tapuai, Shatz, Lucas

Who from this list is 'country origin'? And secondly is there inclusion in the playing squad for QLD country warranted.

QCRU Heeler Player Candidates from 2013:

Queensland Country Heelers Squad- For Cockatoos game in Townsville
Dale Ah Wang
Matty George
Sam Munsie
Rikki Abraham
Dan Collins
Rory Arnold
George Duddy
Ross Morrissey
Harry Elliott
Rubin Fuimaono
Haydn Hirsimaki
Shaun McCarthy
James Turvey
Sitiveni Navuetaki
Jason Welburn
Steven Finigan
Jay Forrester
Taputoa Rea
Josh Cooper
Tereina McLean
Lee Anderson
Tereta-Junior Siakisini
Louis Fesolai
Tom Beattie
Luke Evans
Tom Kearney
Martin Collins
Tom Vinson
Matt Gandy
Will Slipper

Notables from this list are those that were selected to rep for combined country against the Lions last year:
Kearney, Hirsimaki, Abraham, Arnold, Ah-Wang, Siakisini
Can someone please explain what "Queensland Country" has got to do with Robina and bond Uni??..FFS......we gotta remember that there is nth QLD, Cq, and Downs comps with plenty of good players playing in the bush, in the "country" who should be involved with a "Country" side.....

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Qld country Longhorns

City bloke but very country at heart.

Be a little torn for the first year of the NRC, let's hope both teams a very dominate.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Someone should give young Bredenhann in Mackay a phone call. Be a marvellous opportunity for Eddie to push his Super ambitions.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Ben Adams has to be a good chance of making the QLD Country team. From Mackay and schooled at Ipswich Grammar he is a major reason why the Dragons form has been on the rise over recent weeks. Played for Australia in 7's and can play all 3 backrow spots.

T

Tigers Tale

The QRU has released the player allocation/selection criteria, it is as follows:

In relation to the allocation of Players to the two QLD NRC Teams the following considerations will be taken into account:

Requirements as per current CBA and NRC player contracting guidelines.

Allocation of players will be based on the following:

§ Place of birth
§ Junior Club Representation
§ Senior School Representation
§ Club where majority of Senior Rugby has been played

Further to the above, the following High Performance considerations will be taken into account:

1. Ensure there is no positional conflict for contracted players in any of the teams
2. Player retention
3. Development of key succession plan players
4. Developing key combination
5. Player availability
a. Level of experience
b. Injury status

Further it has been confirmed that Stiles will be the head coach of the Brisbane team and Meehan the Country side.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The QRU has released the player allocation/selection criteria, it is as follows:

Further it has been confirmed that Stiles will be the head coach of the Brisbane team and Meehan the Country side.
Thanks for the info, @Tigers Tale.

Do you have a link perchance?

Good to finally see some movement for the two QLD teams.

T

Train Without a Station

I like the High Performance considerations. Shows there will be some common sense in the approach to ensure all parties get the benefit out of it.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Any word on when things like official name, playing strip, home venue(s) & the like will be announced? Also are there likely to be trials so that players from the real Country can show their wares?

Status
Not open for further replies.