• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Country - official NRC thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I heard they were going to take home games to a number of country venues. Think they would be based in Brisbane for training though as it would cut costs.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
No idea. They will have to have something done by the end of the Premier home and away season. It would be great if they had it sorted in the next couple of weeks. Reds are on 12 July so it would be good if they knew what they were doing after that.

A jersey and a draw would be good too. I wouldn't mind a trip away to watch them play. People need time to plan this stuff.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Bingo Jets. I'm planning on taking the family to a couple of regional centres sometime in the next 6 months to visit friends and would definitely time the trips to catch some of the country games if I had enough notice. It's looking less likely but.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
No idea. They will have to have something done by the end of the Premier home and away season. It would be great if they had it sorted in the next couple of weeks. Reds are on 12 July so it would be good if they knew what they were doing after that.

A jersey and a draw would be good too. I wouldn't mind a trip away to watch them play. People need time to plan this stuff.

No problem Jets - look forward to seeing you at Bond Uni ha ha

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
There is talk of Bond paying their Premier coach a $200K package. Any chance this guy will get a gig in the NRC or are they completely separate? My understanding was that Bond's backing was a major reason for the country team and not a Southern Brisbane team.

Would be a pretty good marketing tool for the Uni to get out in the country areas and try and get more exposure.

T

Train Without a Station

That seems slightly exaggerated talk.

I say this having been involved with UoM Rugby down here in Vic and seeing what they have been putting into sport in general. Considering I know for a fact UoM have contributed $30k annually on the basis it's at least 50% salary for a full time GM I can understand the contribution.

That would be in excess of VFL coaches and anything that UoM is contributing to coaching for AFL down here though. Being Bond Alumni, I don't really think they are in the same financial position has UoM.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
UoM's $30k has been paid by Breakers / Bond for ages.

have heard the number is closer to $150k but may go a bit higher with some study benefits (like MBA program, etc) being provided (and added to the package)

My understanding is that Bond wish to be a force in the Brisbane comp a bit like Sydney Uni. To do so they need a good coach, one recognised by players, one who has tasted real success, one who will attract new and talented blood together with players on the fringe of Super 15 selection.

TWAS - Bond is very financial I understand. Something about truckloads.

They supposed believe that the Uni needs a rugby program at a high level for many reasons, one of which would be a marketing exercise, the other because the VC is a rugby buff (who, I think was once on the Board of the Reds)

T

Train Without a Station

Bond by pure number of admissions and cash flow cannot compete with UQ, USyd or UoM. We're talking about probably a quarter of the enrolments. Half the faculties.

That said word going around back in 2010/2011 was that Garrick Morgan was getting paid around $80k a year to coach breakers which seemed pretty reasonable for what it was and what it brought in at the time.

The study benefits sounds about right though. A good friend's dad was a lecturer there and as a family member he received something close to 75% off study at bond. Wouldn't surprise me if they included a degree/masters as part of a package though.

At current rates that's close to $48k in value annually.

I'd disagree about it being considered a marketing tool. In my time a new set of jerseys to play annual grudge matches against Griffith uni could not be swung, yet they managed the largest growth in their short history.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Timjes have changed TWAS since your day. Active marketing in Canada. Bond only has to have a few paying students attend the Uni to further teir education but also with a view of playing in an elite rugby competition where they will be exposed to the potentail of higher honours whether back home in their country or within Australia.

From all reports Bond is very cashed up. Most mature Universities in Australia and UK have rugby teams. Bond wants to have a successful one and it appears they are (or at least the VC) prepared to expend the necessaries to get one.

Great stuff and good luck to them.

T

Train Without a Station

Bond has a rugby sympathetic VC. But they are by no means cashed up compared to other universities.

Having come from Bond, and therefore swinging by the place at least one of my four annual trips home I can say the expansion is nothing compared to Victorian Universities.

Since 2007 they have popped up 3 new faculty buildings (one 4 level, one 3 level and one two level) and a library extension, whilst also acquiring the Titans Centre of Excellence.

Compare this with OoM which continually (i.e. as soon as one finishes the next kicks off) developed new faculty buildings twice the size. One project I worked on was a $150M 10 Level infectious disease research and faculty building. That was directly after completion of their neuroscience faculty building of the same size. After the completion of these two another architecture faculty building of the same size has commenced.

During this time a number of small refurbishments and upgrades have been ongoing.

Swinburne University has just finished a similar size and value manufacturing faculty building.

In the past fortnight Victoria University and Monash University have just had tenders close for new student residential projects. These would be approximately the size of Bond's entire capacity for student accommodation.

In addition Monash University has their Green Chemical Futures Building under construction as well as other small refurbishment projects.

Bond is not in their league. I say this as a man with a fairly intimate knowledge of Bond, and a fairly good knowledge of the Victorian Universities. It's all fairly reliable information as barring the UoM Neuro and Architecture buildings, I have been involved in these projects in some capacity. In the past two years these Universities have expanded at the same capacity that Bond has since 2007.

From my knowledge of the place through other alumni and staff, there has a great benefit in leveraging against the equity of some land around the area through the rise in it's residential value, though a sale of it is not feasible for a reason I cannot remember.

Bond is a boutique university. I imagine once this VC departs, much like when the previous rugby sympathetic VC from the late 80's/early 90's left, Bond's appetite for rugby union will once again diminish to either the dissolving of a team, or back to playing in Gold Coast 3rd grade.

T

Train Without a Station

Lilydale and Prahran would be two of these. Weren't they only recently acquired though as part of absorbing previous tafe courses?

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
I am a casual lecturer at Bond Uni in sport management while I finish my PhD thesis in 7s, and have seen the job posting for the Head Coach/Director of Rugby with $150-200K remuneration (pay, car, super, scholarship all considered).

Bond is looking to leverage rugby in a serious way. I am currently developing a research and higher education "rugby studies" program for them. Developing coaches, high performance managers, and administrators (both domestic and international- targeting Asia and the Americas).

There is also discussion of further utilising the Bond Institute of Health Science for a high performance rugby training centre if they can get the Titans out of the lease. The Titans continued use of the facility curbed the discussion of having the 7s national teams based there full time (now at Narabeen).

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Lilydale and Prahran would be two of these. Weren't they only recently acquired though as part of absorbing previous tafe courses?

I don't know, both campuses have been running for at least 10 years (don't know much more than that) and ran University degrees (not just Tafe).

I believe Lilydale recently underwent a substantial redevelopment before closing too.

Swinburne is a mess, at least in that respect.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I am a casual lecturer at Bond Uni in sport management while I finish my PhD thesis in 7s, and have seen the job posting for the Head Coach/Director of Rugby with $150-200K remuneration (pay, car, super, scholarship all considered).

Bond is looking to leverage rugby in a serious way. I am currently developing a research and higher education "rugby studies" program for them. Developing coaches, high performance managers, and administrators (both domestic and international- targeting Asia and the Americas).

There is also discussion of further utilising the Bond Institute of Health Science for a high performance rugby training centre if they can get the Titans out of the lease. The Titans continued use of the facility curbed the discussion of having the 7s national teams based there full time (now at Narabeen).

Absolutely - Soon To Be Professor
My understanding is that the VC wishes to engage and have a successful rugby program to a level that the University would find difficult to extract itself from once he leaves. The bloke is a goer, a highly motivated chap that loves rugby.

Just wish other Universities would follow his lead - classic example if Griffith - must have been around for 25 years and they contribute about $1.30 to Colleges Club on the Gold Coast.

Good luck in the thesis - you must get some real insights on Green & Gold

T

TOCC

NRC-header2.jpg

Interesting that QLD Country will train at Ballymore, as will Brisbane City...
Logistically it makes sense, I'm not sure if it will help in terms of developing a team culture though, its more or less just going to be a representative tier below the Reds rather then a club team.

Status
Not open for further replies.