• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Country - official NRC thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I think you would find that most players from regional areas with rugby talent have moved to Brisbane before they could represent the Heelers. Younger rugby players who are identified with with real talent are getting recruited to the private schools.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
A guy like Ben Adams would fit in the country team. From Mackay and was schooled at IGS. The players below would also fit into a country team.

Jake McIntyre is from Alstonville in Northern NSW

Brendan Mitchell if from the Sunny Coast

Lolo Fakaosilea is from Clermont

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
NRC-mockup-FixturesONLY-COUNTRY.jpg

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
No idea why Toowoomba hasn't been included as a location for Country games. It'd be almost as close to Brisbane is as the Gold Coast.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'm guessing if Bond are putting in $$$$ they wanted a game at their ground. Then you have the pre test game that will give the comp more exposure. They also want a TV game so are playing at Ballymore and the other game up North. It would be good to get them to Toowoomba in future years but best to keep costs down in year one.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I hadn't thought of the obvious TV requirements. Was thinking lighting at first but then noticed that there are plenty of arvo games. Fair enough,

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No idea why Toowoomba hasn't been included as a location for Country games. It'd be almost as close to Brisbane is as the Gold Coast.

I think Jets has nailed it.

Toowoomba has also had 2 Reds trials recently so I am sure the chance to spread the love would be a factor.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I came up with this proposed squad a while ago. Obviously quite a while ago as departures and injuries will change it big time:

Ben Daley
Albert Anae
Greg Holmes
Campbell Wakely
Jack Kimmince
Hayden Hirsimaki

Saia Fainga'a
Andrew Ready
Alifeleti Kaitu'u

Ed O'Donoghue
Blake Enever
Cameron Bracewell
Marco Kotze

Jake Shatz
Jack Cornelson
Beau Robinson
Vili Fiangaa
Lolo Fakaosilea
Tim Buchanan

Nigel Genia
Scott Gale
Adam Deck

Mike Harris
Jake McIntyre
Anthony Fainga'a
Chris Kudriani
Giles Beveridge
Toby White
UJ Seuteni

Rod Davies
Dom Shipperley
Kimami Sitauti
Harry Parker

Aiden Toua

Jonah Placid

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Just on the departures, when do the players like Harris and Placid etc actually leave the Reds? End of the S15 season?

I mean are they contracted to the Reds (most likely) or the QRU (less likely) and then can play NRC for the two QLD teams.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Oh cbus Super..... Stadium. Not cbus.... Super stadium. I suppose it has lights.

A bit hard for qld country to create a following with no constant home ground.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

Reg,

Do you consider Cameron Bracewell and Vili Fainga'a to really be at that level?

Having actually played against Cameron in Gold Coast rugby a few years back (I believe we both played 8 - and he towelled me up mind you) I'd have to question whether he is really just a step off professionalism. I know he was in the Academy system years back and wonder if he really peaked as a player around 2006-2010. Probably spend the best part of the last 4 years cage fighting instead wouldn't have helped him in that regard.

My recollection also was that Vili Fainga'a was playing 3rds quite regularly at Uni 2 or 3 years ago. Whilst surely players improve, I'd have to say a guy around 20 who isn't a regular prems players may not have what's required to step up another level.

Hopefully I'm wrong and if so do you think they'd be looking for a 29 year old openside who thinks his best is still ahead of him?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Ben Adams would have to come into contention. Former Aust 7's player and going very well for Sunnybank at the moment. Still in his early 20's so a good prospect for the future.

Thebank2014

Allen Oxlade (6)
Vili is playing prems for GPS and has been on a few trip with the tonga team the past few years. I thought he was only 25/26

Reg,

Do you consider Cameron Bracewell and Vili Fainga'a to really be at that level?

Having actually played against Cameron in Gold Coast rugby a few years back (I believe we both played 8 - and he towelled me up mind you) I'd have to question whether he is really just a step off professionalism. I know he was in the Academy system years back and wonder if he really peaked as a player around 2006-2010. Probably spend the best part of the last 4 years cage fighting instead wouldn't have helped him in that regard.

My recollection also was that Vili Fainga'a was playing 3rds quite regularly at Uni 2 or 3 years ago. Whilst surely players improve, I'd have to say a guy around 20 who isn't a regular prems players may not have what's required to step up another level.

Hopefully I'm wrong and if so do you think they'd be looking for a 29 year old openside who thinks his best is still ahead of him?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The old skilled stadium at Robina. I see it must have had an upgrade as it is now a Super Stadium.

http://www.cbussuperstadium.com.au/

Or not? SANZARrugby.com has the Wallabies playing Argentina at Skilled Park on 13 September, kickoff at 8:05 local time. Hopefully someone can let them know about the name change or there's gonna be a lot more confused GC taxi & bus drivers than usual!

Hard to see more than the proverbial 2 men & a dog turn up for the NPC curtain raiser given the big gap between the games, unless there's the option of nicking off down the pub for an hour while the main game players warm up.

OK, now we've got the draw sorted, next question: where, when & for how much can I buy a jersey or polo?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Where and when I couldn't say but how much? Going by the prices of any other Rugby merch in Australia, you will need a down payment if your first born child when you order and just the keys to your house* as the balance when you collect.

* It can't be a shit house either. It's got to be a pretty good one. At least a little bit flash anyway.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
Might as well have just called them Gold Coast and waited for an actual Country team to come in. Toowoomba, Sunshine Coast, Rockhampton types all have the right to be annoyed. One game in Townsville does not make it "Country".

Status
Not open for further replies.