• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
Having watched Ngamanu train in the Nationals preseason I'm very impressed. "The next Kalyn Ponga" tag that somebody assigned him last year is looking very fair at this point. Hopefully he holds up for the season

And what a great kid .Very popular boy at BBC-a leader.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes they have to make a choice - see the date clashes:

10-12 Apr: 7s Camp 1 Syd / Qld GPS Schools Tours/camps.
6-8 Jun: 7s Camp 2 Syd / Qld GPS Rep Teams Trial 2 Bne.
4-8 Jul: 7s Camp 3 Syd / National Schools Rugby Championship Final Syd.
3-5 Sept: Aus Camp Assembly Bne / Qld GPS Round 8.(ACGS Bye)
5-13 Sep: Commonwealth Youth Games Samoa / Qld GPS Round 9.(BBC Bye)
I think it is a matter of discussion between the boys, their schools and the sevens management on where the emphasis lies over each clash period.
6-8 Jun: There are more than 1 GPS trial date where the selected boys could showcase their talent by exception.
4-8 Jul: Given all the boys would be in the Sydney area it would be prudent to follow on from the Nationals with a sevens skill session and this is the reasoning behind it, not to flog the boys after Nationals.
The 2 x GPS games would be the only forfeit made by both Boys and Schools.
IMO it would be a loss for Aus Rugby (is a loss as Hewat has reportedly pulled out of the sevens) not to send the best team to Samoa or not give the boys every chance of making the Aus school boys team. How many of the 24 man Train on squad are aspirant 2015 Aus Schoolboy material? I do not think the boys should be made to make a choice based on one or the other, rather monitor and manage them from both sides.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Was recently chatting to a BBC supporter acquaintance - is this what we are expecting the BBC side to look like this season

1 Christensen
2 Farrell/ Yanopa
3 Njau/Yanopa
4 Hope
5 ????
6 Porter
7 Farrell
8 Gunter
9 .??
10 Cotton
11 Ikitau
12 Raoren
13 Verevis
14 Stead

15 Ngamanu

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Was recently chatting to a BBC supporter acquaintance - is this what we are expecting the BBC side to look like this season

1 Christensen
2 Farrell/ Yanopa
3 Njau/Yanopa
4 Hope
5 ????
6 Porter
7 Farrell
8 Gunter
9 .??
10 Cotton
11 Ikitau
12 Raoren
13 Verevis
14 Stead

15 Ngamanu

BBC supporters take note.
No one from BBC is talking anything up this year.There will be no reports from Sanix in Japan and no discussion about how many are in their 2nd year of 1st xv (or -3rd year -Gunter)
So the answer to your question is "we have no idea".
But you have left out:
5 Darcy Taumoua/Swain -Qld Schoolboys 1in 2014;and
11-Chris Simpson Qld 7s team 2015.

Reactions: GSP

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
BBC supporters take note.
No one from BBC is talking anything up this year.There will be no reports from Sanix in Japan and no discussion about how many are in their 2nd year of 1st xv (or -3rd year -Gunter)
So the answer to your question is "we have no idea".
But you have left out:
5 Darcy Taumoua/Swain -Qld Schoolboys 1in 2014;and
11-Chris Simpson Qld 7s team 2015.

Thanks is that BEN Simpson or is this another kid altogether?? Which winger misses out??

You green black and white guys really are punch drunk after last season - c'mon surely a little bit of positive banter and over expectation wont hurt the team too much - the lack of it will certainly hurt this board during the season!!!!.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
What a day in terms of announcements. I have both good news and bad.

The good news is that the Reds U20s National Championship squad has been selected, of which former GPS players make up 21.5/25 (86%) of the squad.

Aaron Pleash (c) - IGS
Adam Korczyk - BSHS
Angus Scott-Young - ACGS
Digger McMillan - ACGS
Dylan Sikimeti - NC
Harley Fox - ACGS
Izack Rodda - IGS
Jake Lyon - TSS
Josh Webb - ACGS
Lolo Fakaosilea - BBC*
Michael Gunn - ACGS
Sham Vui - IGS
Tuaina Tualima - BSHS
Angus Fowler - GT
Conrad Quick - BBC
Issak Fines-Leleiwasa - TSS
Izaia Perese - ACGS
James Dalgleish - GT
Joey Fittock - TSS
Mitch Third - TSS
Nigel Tanuvasa - ACGS
Paddy James - NC

Coached by Jason Gilmore (TGS/ACGS) and Anthony Connellan (NC)

Unavailable for selection: Alex Mafi (NC), Phil Potgieter (TGS), Maclean Jones (NC), and James Tuttle (NC).

Now for the bad news. The Queensland U-17s were also named - shockingly, just 7/23 are GPS students.

0 Nudgee students, 0 BBC students, 1 from TSS and 1 from Churchie.

Angus Blythe - TSS

Efitusi Ma’afu - IGS
Harry Hoopert - TGS
Joel Kuchel - ACGS
Quinton Mahina - BSHS
Unga Wolske - IGS
Zac Shepherd - BSHS

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Thanks is that BEN Simpson or is this another kid altogether?? Which winger misses out??

You green black and white guys really are punch drunk after last season - c'mon surely a little bit of positive banter and over expectation wont hurt the team too much - the lack of it will certainly hurt this board during the season!!!!.

That would be Ben simpson. Gunter might be 3rd year 1st xv but unlike Hewatt he has only played about 5 matches in 2 years.
i agree with GSP . unless NC 3,12 and especially 8 get injured its a long way to 2nd .
also with 8 players back TSS would be favouries for 2nd .
i do agree that the back 3 for BBC who all made Qld 7s look red hot.
3 massive number 8s in Hewat , Gunter and the TSS boy who is also back. huge boys .

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
What a day in terms of announcements. I have both good news and bad.

The good news is that the Reds U20s National Championship squad has been selected, of which former GPS players make up 21.5/25 (86%) of the squad.

Aaron Pleash (c) - IGS
Adam Korczyk - BSHS
Angus Scott-Young - ACGS
Digger McMillan - ACGS
Dylan Sikimeti - NC
Harley Fox - ACGS
Izack Rodda - IGS
Jake Lyon - TSS
Josh Webb - ACGS
Lolo Fakaosilea - BBC*
Michael Gunn - ACGS
Sham Vui - IGS
Tuaina Tualima - BSHS
Angus Fowler - GT
Conrad Quick - BBC
Issak Fines-Leleiwasa - TSS
Izaia Perese - ACGS
James Dalgleish - GT
Joey Fittock - TSS
Mitch Third - TSS
Nigel Tanuvasa - ACGS
Paddy James - NC

Coached by Jason Gilmore (TGS/ACGS) and Anthony Connellan (NC)

Unavailable for selection: Alex Mafi (NC), Phil Potgieter (TGS), Maclean Jones (NC), and James Tuttle (NC).

Now for the bad news. The Queensland U-17s were also named - shockingly, just 7/23 are GPS students.

Angus Blythe - TSS

Efitusi Ma’afu - IGS
Harry Hoopert - TGS
Joel Kuchel - ACGS
Quinton Mahina - BSHS
Unga Wolske - IGS
Zac Shepherd - BSHS

where is Ben Roy Sala of BBC ?playing premier for Sunnybank . will Lolo and Conrad get released by Reds given they train with the top reds squad not the academy and both played aussie under 20 last year ?

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Well said HTC(happy to chat), these boys deserve every chance to compete for both, not having the best side due to decision making could jeopardise medal contentions at the youth commonwealth games in Samoa. Surely the GPS could identify and manage these programmes to suit. These young men have trained to get this far, then told to make a decision! Not fair I say!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
where is Ben Roy Sala of BBC ?playing premier for Sunnybank . will Lolo and Conrad get released by Reds given they train with the top reds squad not the academy and both played aussie under 20 last year ?

Benroy has played 80 minutes in both his games this year, so I'm not sure if his poor fitness is still the big obstacle.

He's behind Pleash, Sikimeti, Sham Vui and Garrath Ryan (Padua/Norths). If Fox is being converted to a mobile prop then he's probably behind Fox as well.

The other notable absentees in my mind are Freddy Dorrough (TSS) and Liam Jurd (TGS).

From what I saw Jurd was the second fastest player in the squad in the 2 k time trial, had the best skinfold score and was generally impressing the pants off everybody. Just a shame that Tanuvasa, Perese, Fittock and Quick are all brilliant centres - easily the position with the best depth in Queensland Rugby.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
What a day in terms of announcements. I have both good news and bad...........

Angus Blythe - TSS

Efitusi Ma’afu - IGS
Harry Hoopert - TGS
Joel Kuchel - ACGS
Quinton Mahina - BSHS
Unga Wolske - IGS
Zac Shepherd - BSHS

I believe the U17 team has been selected from the JGC participants, so the GPS ratio is probably very good.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I believe the U17 team has been selected from the JGC participants, so the GPS ratio is probably very good.

By my maths, 86 GPS players were involved in JGC U17 this year.

From which SEVEN made the QLD U17 team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
By my maths, 86 GPS players were involved in JGC U17 this year.

From which SEVEN made the QLD U17 team.

I get what you are saying, however if it were selection for National School Boys u16 Championship (ended 2013) the numbers would be different. I think a lot of the GPS schools u16 players have not participated in the JGC.
May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears - Nelson Mandela.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I get what you are saying, however if it were selection for National School Boys u16 Championship (ended 2013) the numbers would be different. I think a lot of the GPS schools u16 players have not participated in the JGC.

Ah, on the wrong page then.

If that's so, have you got any idea why that might be?

I'm genuinely confused though why players like Unga Wolske, Harry Hoopert, Reuben Wall, Sean Farrell, Martin Koorts or Hamish Stewart played JGC but didn't get selected to the Queensland team - I thought Harry Hoopert especially wasn't too far off an Australian Schoolboys spot this year.
I'd put my house on this being the lowest GPS representation in a QLD schoolboy rep team ever.

To the mods: this particular selection whinge is here and not the JGC thread because we're discussing how QLD GPS players aren't getting the rep love we're all accustomed to. I don't want to hijack the JGC by talking about the GPS.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Lots of boys chose to neglect junior gold this year to focus on school rugby with added workloads. Epecially the u16 age group who are all looking to beef up for a possible jump to opens rugby.

Junior Gold program is extremely good for u15's and you should look for some GPS players in that competition.

Also, any possible TGS,NC or BGS team predictions?

William Wallace

Herbert Moran (7)
Ah, on the wrong page then.

If that's so, have you got any idea why that might be?

I'm genuinely confused though why players like Unga Wolske, Harry Hoopert, Reuben Wall, Sean Farrell, Martin Koorts or Hamish Stewart played JGC but didn't get selected to the Queensland team - I thought Harry Hoopert especially wasn't too far off an Australian Schoolboys spot this year.
I'd put my house on this being the lowest GPS representation in a QLD schoolboy rep team ever.

To the mods: this particular selection whinge is here and not the JGC thread because we're discussing how QLD GPS players aren't getting the rep love we're all accustomed to. I don't want to hijack the JGC by talking about the GPS.

The breakdown of the team is the interesting thing; 17 from Group C and 7 from Group D. Group C winners convincingly beaten last night by WA. Food for thought!

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
wasnt Staghorn at Iona last year?
if its the same person then it seems ACGS have moved on from St Edmonds / Downlands for quality players.

They have also recruited Mack Mason's little brother from Downlands. A similar running type of 10. Going into yr11 this year.

However they did lose their fly half from previous years in John Nucifora who left for the Coastal pastures

Status
Not open for further replies.