• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

OLDDOG

Hi guys, can anyone post an update on the latest round of QLD school GPS results?
thks in anticipation

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
TSS gave BBC a 55-10 pasting down on the Coast. An Aussie schoolboy on each wing was too much for BBC to handle, with Laussi bagging 3 tries before oranges and 4 in total. TSS were down their regular halfback and fullback courtesy of representative week injuries but it didn't seem to disrupt the backline. Forward mobility and quick recucling were constant threats to the BBC defensive line who had difficulty obtaining the football - other than to kick-off.

gtjack

Herbert Moran (7)
59-17 to nudgee vs terrace at tennyson.
terrace was only down by 2 at the half, but nc eventually ran away with it

D

Davey

Has anyone seen any BGS games this year? How are they travelling?

O

Overseer

The fact that they nearly took down State High might indicate a reasonable performance.

G

Goldenone

Good morning all.Are there any reports from last weekends GPS matches ?
I had a look at the TSS v BGS match.Quite an entertaining game and it wasn't until ( without about 5 minutes to go) TSS realised that if they shifted the ball wide through the hands rather than kicking the b... thing all the time that you can make winning a game a whole lot easier.Lyndsay Crook is indeed a class finisher but was pretty well contained throughout the afternoon,the tSS flankers worked hard,perhaps a little over zealous at times.A little bit of a scrap towards the end that excited some of the crowd,my observation of that was that a lot of these boys were employing the Paul Briggs form of defence,2 yellow cards,nobody hurt though, ,although one of the recipient was lucky not to have received one of a more fiery colour later in the match for reported foul play.Strange methinks !!!There appeared to be a bit of chest-pumping and strutting at the start but it is funny how time catches up with some young blokes and things start to even out as you get older.
All-in-all it was quite a pleasant afternoon sitting down there in the sun.BGS tried hard and were perhaps a little unlucky that the game got away from them at the end.
One observation though,and I noticed this at the National Championships at Ballymore,are these boys too structured in the way they play the game?By that I mean, and for example,BGS kicks to TSS,(the TSS 15 who played a fantastic game by-the-way, took some fantastic running catches,attacking the ball in flight),the lad catches the ball and easily beats the first defender exposing a short-side about 15 metres wide and an un-marked Lindsay Crook on his outside,but he is still inside his 22 so he kicks !!! My question is ,are the boys told that the kick is the only option in this area of the field?I would have thought that the pass and support option would have taken them at least 70 metres down the track,the reaction from the BGS boys after the kick probably supports this option.
To my mind,that is why BSHS are so effective,they play what is in front of them as opposed to where they are on the field.
Good game though,look forward to Old Boys Day ( not that I am one ) next Saturday against Toowoomba.Should be noisy at least.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
They should be hanging from the rafters out at Nudgee this Saturday for the final showdown with undefeated State High. An absolute cracker in store worthy of a tv game. Only Ipswich (of all teams) has run BSHS close (44-39), but if they slip up its a 3 way tie BSHS/Nudgee/Southport. (Obviously assuming Southport knock over the winless Toowoomba lads at home). Surely a reason in itself for the Super 14 scoring system with bonus points et al. Can't make it there myself, but anyone going, get out early as the 2's & 15A's will be equally as enthralling, both featuring teams yet to taste defeat. Little wonder they've appointed a top-shelf referee to run the 2's. (In fact he's better than the bloke assigned to the main game - but don't tell Marksy that).
Tip: State High by 10.

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
Agree with you that Nudgee will be the place to be this weekend and BSHS will be keen to get an undefeated premiership and nothing beats Ross Oval for atmosphere. The other game that could create some interest is BBC v GT after last year's game was abandoned following 6 red cards - hope that ref is nowhere to be seen.

G

Goldenone

Good morning all.Good to see the sunshining down here on the coast,that should make for a good day tomorrow at TSS,being Old Boys Week,and all.So,who's in and who's out for the matches over the weekend.
I am sure that all boys would dearly love to play in their final game for their respective schools.
Good luck to them all and hopefully they get through the matches without injury.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the boys that represented their schools throughout the season and brought delight and anguish to the tragics on the various "hills" at the schools scattered throuhout the GPS region.Congratulations to all of you.
It is not easy being saddled with the responsibility of being a 1st XV player and having to realise the vicarious ambitions of those that never had the skill or desire to achieve such a level.
Well done.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Terrace 19 - 15 BBC

Pretty decent game. The ref was pretty fucking ordinary.

BBC lead for most of the game, terrace scored a try after about 20 phases on the bbc line, with 10 mins to go. Terrace winger converted it from 5 metres out.

Man of the match, from terrace either the winger or halfback, and from bbc the fullback had a good game.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Nudgee won. 3 way tie for first. BGS and GT tied for forth.
Lousy day for BSHS all around. Apart from losing the 1sts and thereby sharing the title 3 ways, they lost every game to Nudgee bar the U13A's. And for a good majority of the games they were playing for the premiership.
TSS probably weren't complaining though as the result dealt them their 5th premiership in the last 10 years.
Its really the big 3 these days with daylight 4th.

O

OLDDOG

Lousy day for BSHS all around. Apart from losing the 1sts and thereby sharing the title 3 ways, they lost every game to Nudgee bar the U13A's. And for a good majority of the games they were playing for the premiership.
TSS probably weren't complaining though as the result dealt them their 5th premiership in the last 10 years.
Its really the big 3 these days with daylight 4th.

Yes Nudgee really are a powerhouse. I've heard from friends that there were some cracking games this season, and it's great to see the season go down to the wire. Pity the GPS schools can't do a 16 game season with home and away matches though, that would see lesser shared premierships, and more rugby for us dad's!

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
Understand that there will be a compacted season next year with all games to be played in the 2nd term before the national champs

G

Goldenone

I am led to believe that is so that soccer ( eeeeeek !! ) can be played in the third term.Does that mean that they either play less trial matches or,start the season "proper" earlier.The NSW kiddies won't like that too much as they get belted every year when the Qld boys have only played a hand-ful of matches.Imagine when they are totally battle-hardened.
So,what happens with th e"shared " premiership? Does each school have it a for w eek or 2 then hand it over so that the others can have a photo opportunity?
It wouldn't surprise me if those Nudgee boys "lost" it in transit to Southport as payback for the abduction of the "Bears" clothes many years ago.How is the Bear by-the-way? I didn't get up to Nudgee this year,he is one of th egreat characters of GPS Rugby
along with the Toowoomba Tiger
What other schools ( including interstate ) have good mascots?

Status
Not open for further replies.