• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sdg

BSHS 29- BGS 22

Sautia off halfway through the second half with an injury

Terradome

Peter Burge (5)
Today, all hadn't gone as i planned and eventually i found myself today at Fursden Road to see BSHS clash with BGS. I knew i was in for a good game, but i went away grateful for what i got to see, good rugby. The first thing i noticed is that BSHS were playing Meehan, their #9 talent, at Flyhalf, and that BGS were lacking superstar Flyhalf Grant Davies - and so fellow QLD representative Greene filled in the void at 10. I had also been told BGS were missing a Shadow representative player in Cail(?) and so one would assume from the getgo BSHS' well rounded superstar outfit would have the upper hand before the kickoff whistle was even blown. When the game kicked off Sautia at 15 from state high lived up to his well deserved reputation, with pristine passes, finding space for many of his team mates, and when he decided to go himself, he found his way over the line for a 5pointer- a brilliant display of individual talent and skill. Curtis Browning played a solid game for his outfit, but even more impressive was BGS number 8 Aumua, who was a favourite for the QLD squad among this forum before inury. Aumua made some excellent runs, his defense was impenetrable and his workrate at the breakdown would have to be some of the best i have seen in a long time, not to mention his on-the-ball skillset. Other stand out efforts were the two wingers marking up on each other Khuu from BSHS and Radford of BGS, they both showed unmatched speed on the ground, with Radford just about matching Sautia's line break stat, going over for a penalty try under the sticks after a brilliant show of pace. Greene outplayed Meehan but both proved to be valuable assets to their respective outfits. It was unfortunate that after such a dominating presence, Sautia was taken from the field with injury, but he was the standout performer in the game from State High. Both teams should be commended for the way they played the game, hard and fair, and it was truly a privilege to see such a spectacle of a game. The final score being 29-22 to State High.

Terradome

Peter Burge (5)
Actually i would have to give Man of the match to Radford, 11 BGS, Sautia, 15 BSHS or Aumua, 8 BGS. It is too close to call.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Good review Terradome, well done on ending up at Fursden road haha.

You may be interested to know that Meehan is actually a proven and very good fly-half, he played there in younger years but just lacked the size (same goes for Greene who has played alot of 10 previously, including at Churchie). Meehan has great acceleration off the mark and decent cardio to match, this combined with his passing game allows for very effective running rugby behind a solid forward pack that allows for quick distribution. With the likes of Sautia and Khuu on his outside this was something you probably would have expected State High to try a little earlier in the season. The closeness a little surprising but I think this would have to be perhaps the round of the season as I'm sure the Ippy vs. TSS would have been a cracking match too.

TSS v IGS
1st XV: 37 - 18

ACGS v TGS
1st XV: 42 - 14

gtjack

Herbert Moran (7)
congratulations to the Terrace boys who finished off a tough season with a hard earned victory against Downlands, 24-14.

shame the game had to end 3 minutes early because of a brawl stemming from an outrageous high shot on terrace captain ben birgan, other than that Terrace played an exceptional game all across the park, showing glimpses of what might have been this year had the team been healthy, had home grounds etc

H

hurge

i would have to say, i would of loved to see the the season reversed (schedule wise). It seemed like all the exciting games happened at the start of the season, and if it were reversed the premiership of NC v ACGS would of been decided on the final game! As well as this, TSS seemed to be hitting their straps late in the season, and would love to see TSS square up against ACGS or NC later in the season, where they seem to be in their prime!

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yes. No notable names but Brandon Va'aulu is the only one I can find.

Seems most BSHS boys of late have been contracted to other S15 clubs such as Matt To'omua and Paul Alo-Emile.

Chris F'Sautia and Curtis Browning would be good bets for the future.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Ed Qurk definitely there. A great player at school.
Also Peter Hynes went to State High - although don't know whether you can count him as he is always injured and never seems to play.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Another big season wrapped up & it was the usual suspects dominating:

1st XV 1st NC, 2nd ACGS
2nd XV 1st NC, 2nd TSS
3rd XV 1st NC, 2nd ACGS/TSS/TGS
16A 1st ACGS, 2nd TSS
16B 1st ACGS/TSS/NC
15A 1st NC, 2nd TSS
15B 1st NC, 2nd TSS
14A 1st NC/BSHS
14B 1st NC/BGS
13A 1st NC, 2nd BSHS
13B 1st BSHS, 2nd NC

So its the big 4 with daylight after that. Special mention to Grammar 14B's for a tied premiership.
Always enjoyable to referee any of these games with the passion involved.

O

OLDDOG

Final 2011 1st 15 standings. Well done to all the lads, some terrific matches played, and good to see everyone beating everyone. Makes for a good healthy comp.
1st XV POINTS LADDER

Position School Total

1 NC 14
2 ACGS 13
3 TSS 11
4 BSHS 10
= IGS 10
6 BGS 8
7 TGS 4
8 BBC 2
9 GT 0

GPS Premiers 2011: Nudgee College