• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
how is Nudgee looking next year?

Not sure yet, weren't heavily overrepresented in the U16 QLD team and will lose numerous QLD and a few Australian Schoolboys at the end of this year, the likes of McMahon, Satui, Hunt and Brittain. I think they will be up there again next year with the likes of Jack Tuttle in the back line.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Barker is really trying very hard to change the culture at BBC, I played 16C's this year and he's got me training like professionally for next year quite hard in the off season. He's aiming to create as much competition for players as possible so that everyone lifts each others game. It's working okay so far, Rugby moving to third term will help us. The U16A's this year performed quite well, they gelled very nicely as a team a few times however have some weaknesses:

Great players:

Tarr
Lawless
Hood
Diaring?

The big thing about these four is not only are they naturally talented, they train intensely and professionally too. Lawless, apart from being a great guy for example is on a GPA of very close to an A+, so you can see it's work ethic that got these guys where they are.

Look out for James Apel in the lineouts, the 16A's where at their best this year when he was on song. When he was injured for the Nudgee game they got slaughtered at Set Piece.

Looking like a competitive year, get excited lads

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Barker is a very good coach but I think BBC Rugby will take longer than a year to re-build. The skills weren't up with the top teams this year and it's not something that can be developed quickly in the off-season. Add to that the time it takes for the coach to settle in and the players to understand the game plan and I don't think we will see a BBC premiership for a while.

However I do rate Tarr, potential QLD player next year if he can get a good pack behind him. Remainder of those boys I haven't seen play but it will take individual brilliance for them to not find the bottom of the ladder.

Hopefully they prove me wrong.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
spikhaza

I was impressed by your post, not so much for the content, which I know little about, but by the way you expressed yourself. It is good in this age of texting to see a young person stringing coherent sentences together.

light - I think [Nudgee] will be up there again next year with the likes of Jack Tuttle in the back line.

I thought that Tuttle was the outstanding player in the Oz U/16 tournament this year and was not surprised when he was named on the Oz A Schools bench the following week to play NZ Schools. He did OK too.

Watch this boy. He plays like Horne did at the same age; even looks a bit like him too. Let's hope that he is not so injury prone as Robbie when he gets older.

T

The Boys

i hear grammar are going to have quite the backline next year, i would rate it up there with nudgee's if not better

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
i hear grammar are going to have quite the backline next year, i would rate it up there with nudgee's if not better

How do you figure that out? even without star players of 2011 history shows that Nudgee has produced more premiership winning back-lines in the past 20 years than most other schools, including Grammar. I have a feeling you will be forced to eat your words next year, so unless you can justify your argument please stop trolling..

T

The Boys

how can you say that with a junior broncos centre pairing, next year, unforunate that they were injured this year + they have retained 8 players i can hardly think you have anything to support your statement.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I stand by my prediction, not to say I wouldn't be happy if BGS won the premiership. They are on the improve and it's great to see after some of the lows they experienced in the early 2000's.

Havealook

Allen Oxlade (6)
Here it is folks hot off the presses - the GPS Rugby Draw for 2012

Round 1 21/7 IGS v TSS, BBC v NC, TGS v ACGS, BGS v BSHS, GT Bye
Round 2 28/7 ACGS v NC, BSHS v BBC, GT v IGS, BGS v TGS, TSS v Bye
Round 3 4/8 NC v TSS, BBC v ACGS, IGS v BSHS, TGS v GT, BGS Bye
Round 4 11/8 TSS v ACGS, NC v BSHS, BBC v GT, IGS v BGS, TGS Bye
Round 5 18/8 BSHS v TSS, GT v NC, BGS v BBC, TGS v IGS, ACGS Bye
Round 6 25/8 TSS v TGS, NC v IGS, ACGS v BGS, BSHS v GT, BBC Bye
Round 7 1/9 BGS v TSS, TGS v NC, IGS v BBC, GT v ACGS, BSHS Bye
Round 8 8/9 TSS v BBC, ACGS v IGS, BSHS v TGS, GT v BGS, NC Bye
Round 9 15/9 TSS v GT, NC v BGS, BBC v TGS, ACGS v BSHS, IGS Bye

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
spikhaza:I was impressed by your post, not so much for the content, which I know little about, but by the way you expressed yourself. It is good in this age of texting to see a young person stringing coherent sentences together.

Haha Lee you sound like his grandad.

Been reading a bit about Tuttle, apparently he's a bit of a sporting gun. Track star and dominant rugby player.

Then saw some article about his younger brother a while back who plays all the footy codes to at least rep level. Was quite an impressive resume for a 12 year old if i'm honest.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/boy-stars-in-three-codes/story-e6frep66-1111116813692

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Haha Lee you sound like his grandad.

Been reading a bit about Tuttle, apparently he's a bit of a sporting gun. Track star and dominant rugby player.

Then saw some article about his younger brother a while back who plays all the footy codes to at least rep level. Was quite an impressive resume for a 12 year old if i'm honest.

I'm certainly old enough to be his granddad.

Recently I sat next to his dad, Mal, at the Oz U/16 competition and found out who he was as you do yarning to complete strangers at schools tournaments. I told him that some other Queensland parents were saying that the older brother, Jack, would be a Wallaby one day and he rolled his eyes but must have been secretly pleased about the comments.

We have all seen many a star U/16 player not kick on but I think he will do well later because he has everything Horne had at the same age.

Younger brother James had a good tournament playing scrummie in the Qld IIs side with and against older players. It looks like both brothers have an outrageous talent for sport. I hope it serves them well in life.

Both rugby codes are interested in these lads and you could scarcely accuse me of betraying a confidence once you saw them play. I hope they both stay in the union code, but if they don't good luck to them anyway.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
Who are looking like the standout players of the competition next year? Have any schools been recruiting 'new talent'?

T

The Boys

grammar it appears will only bring in 1 "new player" next year as sam greene is repeating. i hear bbc though scouted 2 qld under 16 players.

B

bottleneck

grammar it appears will only bring in 1 "new player" next year as sam greene is repeating. i hear bbc though scouted 2 qld under 16 players.

Grammar will have a very good team and with some lluck will be up there>Good to see them back>

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
Predictions for 2012

1. Churchie- Very strong backline. Retain a lot of talent from 2011 season. Eason, Watson, Ioane, Gunn, West, Oppenheimer
2. Nudgee- Lost many good players from 2011. Key players will be Tuttle, Fitzgerald, Anae, Sikimeti and many of the u15 players from this year.
3. Southport- A fair amount of players being chosen in the QLD u16 sides. Solid forward pack, strong backline. Thirrd, Fielea, Gauder, Clifton
4. Brisbane Grammar- A lot of year 11s representing the 1st XV in 2011. Key players; Birch, Aiono, Blackhurst, Cornelson, Radford
5. State High- Training very hard and an incredibly strong side but cannot see them upsetting the big 3 (NC, ACGS, TSS) Sala, Tibbetts, Loukaras, Korczyk
6. Ipswich- Losing two Australian Schoolboys representatives but will still be solid. Hayes, Preen, Mulheron, Takau, Pleashe
7. Toowoomba- Making a big comeback from previous years. Definitely will be a tough opponent for many especially when playing at Toowoomba. Drewe, Hartley, Placid, Potgieter, Bougoure
8. BBC- Like TGS, making an improvement but cannot see them making top 5. Tarr, Lawless, Dyring, Hood
9. Gregory Terrace- Upsets against TGS and BBC are definitely possible. Given, Dalgleish, Harlow, Heenan

Very hard to tell who will have the best team next year. Placings from 3-7 could go to anyone. I think first and second are basically set in stone.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Good summary Knockers, you are probably on the money with most of those predictions although I don't think we will see GT rugby on the bottom for two consecutive years. Fight for top placings will be interesting, as you say the first two look the strongest of the 9 teams competing, they also have the most depth of the schools on paper.

One thing I have to question is Southport's placing as I can't see them making the top 3 after losing Paraka, Wakely and Vasiliades from their forward pack. Seem to be on struggle street after the heights of their 2010 campaign and 100th anniversary premiership success.

The Big Losses from 2011.
Nudgee - 1 Kaituu, 3 Maloney, 7 Satui, 8 McMahon, 9 Gale, 10 Brittain, 14 Stewart, 15 Hunt
Churchie - 2 Young, 5 Olsen, 7 Mitchell, 13 Palau
Southport - 1 Paraka, 2 Wakely, 5 Fattal, 7 Vasilliades, 8 Barrett, 9 Fairnington, 11 Elliot, 15 Duncan
State High - 1 Alo Emile, 4 Browning, 7 Swann, 8 Maile, 9 Meehan, 13 Sautia
Brisbane Grammar - 8 Aamua, 10 Davies, 12 Laud, 15 Greene
Ipswich - 2 Ngauamo, 6 Brown, 8 Tasi, 9 King, 12 Gordon, 13 Vakuata, 15 Bowen
Toowoomba - 2 Pavvy, 9 Deck, 11 Goodrich, 13 Jordan
BBC - 7 Levander, 12 Bird
Terrace - 7 Birgin

gtjack

Herbert Moran (7)
Predictions for 2012

9. Gregory Terrace- Upsets against TGS and BBC are definitely possible. Given, Dalgleish, Harlow, Heenan

Terrace in last place again won't happen, especially not behind TGS and BBC who this age group has beaten in every year (except 2011, where both games were lost in the last stages of the game). They return an experienced core of around 6 players who played in the Firsts this year, two players from the QLD White team and two players from the QLD Club team. I'd say 6th could easily be attainable for this team, if well coached, but as you say they could finish last easily, but I'd describe wins over BBC and TGS as 'expected' rather than 'upsets'. Positions 3 - 9 could go to anyone, but a rough guess as to next year's rankings would be:
1. Churchie - Centenary year they've been gearing up for since 08, nothing else really needs to be said and not much stands in their way - they have enough depth to cover for injuries with players that any other school would quite happily in their XV.
2. Nudgee - Have always been the strong team in the age group, apart from this year where they suffered with a few players in the firsts. Having Jack Tuttle in their team could easily help them to overthrow Churchie for the premiership.
3. Ipswich - Some really good players down in Ipswich.
4. State High
5. Gregory Terrace
6. Brisbane Grammar - could easily finish higher, but I think on an emotional day at Tennyson Terrace will beat them narrowly.
7. TSS - For once I can't see them being that good. But I could easily be wrong, TSS are always strong in the firsts.
8. TGS - Have the potential to go higher, rugby at TGS is definitely on the improve (as is basketball, but that's a matter for another forum).
9. BBC

As I said, I could be, and probably will be, totally wrong. But the smart money is easily on Churchie to cap off a centenary year with a premiership.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
I agree that it is definitely in reach of Terrace to finish as high as 6th. However, I do not see them being able to beat a strong BGS side. Like you said, BGS could more than likely finish higher, but I do not think 6th gives Grammar enough due credit. In the 15A's (correct me if I am wrong, not 100% sure), I am fairly sure Grammar defeated GT comfortably. BGS also defeated TGS, BBC, ACGS and TSS, with narrow losses to BSHS and IGS (26-25). Wins for GT against BBC and TGS are probable. Not saying that BGS is a premiership contender, nor that they will finish top 3 (although possible), I am just saying that placing them any lower then 5th is a little far fetched. If no injuries hit BGS, I can see them as a real threat within the competition with numerous representative players at both state and national level. GT more than likely to give some of the more prominent rugby schools a run for their money.

TSS will finish higher then 7th undoubtedly. Like you said, they always are strong at 1st XV level. TGS will more than likely continue their development in rugby- their team this year was solid. At this stage, it is impossible to predict the placings between 3rd-9th with the competition being stronger then ever.

gtjack

Herbert Moran (7)
15A's 2010 BGS vs GT wasn't comfortable, but BGS were undeniably the better team on the day. That being said, they're 15A's results and I can see Grammar having a good year next year. There will be very little to seperate 3-9, I'd expect some real arm wrestle games next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.