• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlashFlanker

Herbert Moran (7)
hey all first time post.
I have a child that is finishing his schooling at IGS this year (no he does not play rugby) and have a mate who is a teacher at state high as well as one of my own siblings that teach at churchie.
As i see it the IGS rugby program is under achieving. The playing group is not all to fond of the coaches and the way in which they coach. A lot of the boys are fed up with losing their spots in the A team or first to imports.
BSHS boys are sick of the almost unfair playing field. Not only does the school not have the ability to import boys from around the country but also the boys that do find their way to school for rugby can not repeat and do a sport. There is a big difference between a 18 yer old man and a sixteen year old boy and this was demonstrated in the game against TSS. I find it to be unfair for the coach who has speculation circling that he may lose his coaching spot because he doesnt have the access to the ability that other coachers have at their finger tips.

I think it has little to do with age. Yes BSHS have a young team but as we are constantly reminded BBC has now 14 of the players who have played this year in Grade 11 or 10. With David Eagle and Graham Noon's departure they lost coaches who had immense rugby knowledge and people skills. They were draw cards to potential rugby players.

BSHS have always had an U12 selection process where candidates for merit entry were identified. In the 2011 Grade 8 entry I believe 32 rugby players were identified and a significant number have since left. Why?

Through the Sunnybank connection BSHS seem to have seen a stream of young players flow their way. Looking at the successful schools there is a significant talent pool outside Brisbane who come to board at historically the more successful schools where they can be immersed in the special feeling of a member of their school culture and the important place rugby has in the school.

There is no doubt that if your school has an Emtage or Gardner, a Connellan or David Miles, a Tom Barker or Philpotts, these name coaches are a magnet to talented players but many parents are also looking to a type of education as well.

It seems GPS schools have lots of challenges to get everything right and maybe luck has a bit to do with it too, but Nudgee should patent the system that has delivered their 40th Premiership.

SeaEagles

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think it has little to do with age. Yes BSHS have a young team but as we are constantly reminded BBC has now 14 of the players who have played this year in Grade 11 or 10. With David Eagle and Graham Noon's departure they lost coaches who had immense rugby knowledge and people skills. They were draw cards to potential rugby players.

BSHS have always had an U12 selection process where candidates for merit entry were identified. In the 2011 Grade 8 entry I believe 32 rugby players were identified and a significant number have since left. Why?

Through the Sunnybank connection BSHS seem to have seen a stream of young players flow their way. Looking at the successful schools there is a significant talent pool outside Brisbane who come to board at historically the more successful schools where they can be immersed in the special feeling of a member of their school culture and the important place rugby has in the school.

There is no doubt that if your school has an Emtage or Gardner, a Connellan or David Miles, a Tom Barker or Philpotts, these name coaches are a magnet to talented players but many parents are also looking to a type of education as well.

It seems GPS schools have lots of challenges to get everything right and maybe luck has a bit to do with it too, but Nudgee should patent the system that has delivered their 40th Premiership.

One of the best, and for that matter mature, rugby players I have seen this year is Gavin Luka and he is also back next year (according to this thread). Don't know his age but he is obviously still 17 or under.

So I agree it's not just about having the older players to be successful.

The key to Nudgee's success has been instilling a pattern of play and belief from the first day you pull on the jersey. Whether that is in the 13F's or in the 13A's as a "man-child" on a rugby scholarship. And it has been that way for a very, very long time.

Start early and be consistent with how you coach the boys, bring them in on scholarships early too. Then you will always have a good rugby program. God forbid you might even find some stars out of that 13F team by the time they are in Grade 12!!

mbw

Allen Oxlade (6)
My team of the year
1. S. Wilson (Gt)
2. A. Mafi (NC)
3. S.Clifton (TSS)
4. Scott-Young (churchie)
5. J. Upfeild (TSS)
6. R. Hewat (NC)
7. T. Mcnamee (GT)
8. M. Jones (NC)
9. A. Fowler (GT)
10. Tuttle (NC)
11. Aisti (NC)
12. Larosa (GT)
13. Perese (ch)
14. Partridge (GT)
15. Bowen (BBC)

Tuttle good but Mitch Third has been the outstanding 10 this year. And Isaac Fines Leleiwasa also had a great season at 9.

50 cent

Frank Row (1)
My team of the year
1. S. Wilson (Gt)
2. A. Mafi (NC)
3. S.Clifton (TSS)
5. J. Upfeild (TSS)
6. R. Hewat (NC)
7. T. Mcnamee (GT)
8. M. Jones (NC)
9. A. Fowler (GT)
10. Tuttle (NC)
11. Aisti (NC)
12. Larosa (GT)
13. Perese (ch)
14. Partridge (GT)
15. Bowen (BBC)
Eli Pilz at 9 had a strong year
and like someone previously said gavin luka has been great at prop this year.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
My team of the year
1. S. Wilson (Gt)
2. A. Mafi (NC)
3. S.Clifton (TSS)
5. J. Upfeild (TSS)
6. R. Hewat (NC)
7. T. Mcnamee (GT)
8. M. Jones (NC)
9. A. Fowler (GT)
10. Tuttle (NC)
11. Aisti (NC)
12. Larosa (GT)
13. Perese (ch)
14. Partridge (GT)
15. Bowen (BBC)

#12 Tunavasa from ACGS & #5 Fa'anana-Schultz from IGS have been nothing short of OUTSTANDING!

Allblacks

Frank Row (1)
Hi first time post as well,
I also have children that currently attend IGS, one in grade 12 and the other has just started in grade 8. My eldest child (in grade 12) has played in the A team for his age group in the past years but is unable to make the first team because the school has imported someone in his position. He has been devastated from this decision but still strives to make the first, although there is only 1 game left in this season. Like you, i am also well connected and have several friends that teach at GPS schools. It is completely true to say that the current IGS rugby program is under achieving. I have had the chance to see some of the BSHS 1st XV games this year and one thing they lacked in was size, in saying this, there is also boys like Enoka (?) and Tuiana (?) where size is not a factor. the team is also notably young, with the bulk of it coming from grade 11. With the teams not so very good success in recent years the coaching staff is subject to change, there was a rumour around that Sione Fukofuka was leaving next year?
Hi first time post as well,
I also have children that currently attend IGS, one in grade 12 and the other has just started in grade 8. My eldest child (in grade 12) has played in the A team for his age group in the past years but is unable to make the first team because the school has imported someone in his position. He has been devastated from this decision but still strives to make the first, although there is only 1 game left in this season. Like you, i am also well connected and have several friends that teach at GPS schools. It is completely true to say that the current IGS rugby program is under achieving. I have had the chance to see some of the BSHS 1st XV games this year and one thing they lacked in was size, in saying this, there is also boys like Enoka (?) and Tuiana (?) where size is not a factor. the team is also notably young, with the bulk of it coming from grade 11. With the teams not so very good success in recent years the coaching staff is subject to change, there was a rumour around that Sione Fukofuka was leaving next year?
The bulk of the side is not in grade 11. 10 from the starting side all in grade 12. The problems that we are seeing in 2013 with IGS and BSHS is not a lack of talent it's quite simply a lack off depth. BHSH vTSS. Competing well up to half time. Injuries to key players just after half time. And 60 unanswered points.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Full strength TSS

ScreenHunter_001.jpg

SeaEagles

Allen Oxlade (6)
My team of the year
1. S. Wilson (Gt)
2. A. Mafi (NC)
3. S.Clifton (TSS)
5. J. Upfeild (TSS)
6. R. Hewat (NC)
7. T. Mcnamee (GT)
8. M. Jones (NC)
9. A. Fowler (GT)
10. Tuttle (NC)
11. Aisti (NC)
12. Larosa (GT)
13. Perese (ch)
14. Partridge (GT)
15. Bowen (BBC)

5 x GT players - you are kidding obviously

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
Big game at Northgate tomorrow with the LDB taking on Terrace in a traditional rivalry. Can anyone see the LDB causing an upset? GT team?

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Big game at Northgate tomorrow with the LDB taking on Terrace in a traditional rivalry. Can anyone see the LDB causing an upset? GT team?

A stark contrast to last year's final game when BGS were playing for the premiership. This year they are playing to avoid the wooden spoon.

I do not believe it is a fair indication of the quality of the side. But in a close competition you may only miss winning by a couple of points like this side has on occassion, but you still get nil points for the Premiership ladder.

This is the Battle for the Spring Hill Trophy and last game of the season, anything can happen. GT have to bounce back from a disappointing performance by their standards against ACGS last weekend and BGS are playing for pride.

I am tipping BGS to get the upperhand in the forwards which should get them in front on the scoreboard when the final whistle of the season blows.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Meanwhile the Spikhaza v Morelando Bloom derby continues this Saturday Kick off 8am.. reportedly very few tickets left

Go the Mighty 13E's!!!! We gotta remember it is not all just about the First XV, it the grass roots that also counts.

There have been a couple of boys who have risen up from the 13E's to gain First XV, State and National Representation honours.

But it is not just about the level they play at, if the boys enjoy playing, they become life long fans of the game and right now that is what the ARU desparately need. Go you good things!

Status
Not open for further replies.