• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Good to see a number of GPS schools at the Barry Honan Carnival on the GC today. Especially GT and TG in the u13's.

Very sad for the young GT boy who broke his leg - I hope he is recovering well and our team's thoughts are going out to him.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
11709800_674701942629378_561990153648263684_o (1).jpg
Good luck to former BBC Captain of Rugby-Dane Gagai when he plays for Qld in the State of Origin decider on Wednesday.
Another one gone to NRL

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What is the go with the u12 & u13 tournament next Monday and Tuesday at Ipswich Grammar?

tournament wrapped up today.

Some interesting results in U12:

Day 1:

GT beat IGS by perhaps 4 tries to 1
ATC beat TGS by about 40 pnts

TGS just beat IGS (I believe).
GT beat ATC by about 30odd to something in the teens (6 tries to 3).

Day 2:

ATC beat IGS by about 40 apparently.
GT beat TGS by a bit

Final ATC beat GT 19-12, or therabouts.

TGS beat IGS in '3/4' play off.

loiterer

Sydney Middleton (9)
Good to see a number of GPS schools at the Barry Honan Carnival on the GC today. Especially GT and TG in the u13's.

Very sad for the young GT boy who broke his leg - I hope he is recovering well and our team's thoughts are going out to him.

Do you know what the results are so far?

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Do you know what the results are so far?
No, only what our mismatched bunch of lads played. We have a local combined team from Tamborine Mt, Helensvale Hogs and a couple from Nerang Bulls. The carnival is more about fun and participation which sometimes sees boys jumping into other teams to help out with numbers.

I even saw a couple of BBC boys wearing TSS jerseys at one stage :) It's really good spirit down there and I would encourage clubs and schools to participate around this time of the year. Many interstate and Kiwi teams as well.

There aren't any results up at the time of this post but you will be able to find fixtures and results here: http://rugby.world-sport.com.au/results/

Spirax

Herbert Moran (7)
I know there are trials this weekend between GT and Nudgee at Tennyson. Anyone else having trials this weekend?

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Do you or Dont you???
Play the boys that just played 3 tough matches in 6 days at nationals.?
Certainly I would not play the 3 (Riley of TSS ,Ngamanu & Veravis of BBC) who did that- and are now at the ARU 7s camp.That is ATT.
BBC play BGS and I hear very few of the 9 that went to nationals will play.Smart move.

Spirax

Herbert Moran (7)
They actually played four games at the Nationals. At the final the presentation they mentioned that the Nationals are the equivalent of playing half a GPS season in a week!

GT had the one national rep in Rueban Wall who broke his hand so he won't be playing this weekend. Nudgee had 6 players, but not only do Nudgee have trial games on Saturday they have rugby camp this week, Wed, Thurs and Fri..... Will be interesting to see if they rest anyone.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
GT had two reps. I think that there may be a few rested this weekend before the start of the season.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Do you or Dont you???
Play the boys that just played 3 tough matches in 6 days at nationals.?
Certainly I would not play the 3 (Riley of TSS ,Ngamanu & Veravis of BBC) who did that- and are now at the ARU 7s camp.That is ATT.
BBC play BGS and I hear very few of the 9 that went to nationals will play.Smart move.

i would be getting the cotton wall out for Veravis & Riley if i was BBC and TSS.
they are x factor players

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
That may be true that Veravis and Riley have that "x-factor" but it must be remembered that they are either outside centres or wingers. That's if they get the ball! And that's a big "if". They may be devastating, but it's not a guarantee. I have seen many a "x-factor" back not really come into the play, particularly if the forwards don't have that dominance.

I think their forward packs need to dominate, gain the advantage line and have competent set pieces for them to be "x-factor" players. Then they will get the ball "on the front foot" and produce their wares. I think this will be the key to the winner of this years competition, not so much the x-factor.

As far as "cotton wool" goes, injury is a random thing. My experience is the harder you play, the better you are technically the less injuries you get. So playing hard games, doing basic things is probably less of a risk then not playing. It just random.

From what I saw of Veravis at the Nationals he has some injury concerns; he was basically "taped" together the poor thing; so we have to see how he pulls-up for 2 weeks time.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
I think another key to this years winner of GPS is the draw (everyone has not paid much attention to this!). So a few have said that TSS, NC, BBC and TGS are the favourites. Well the draw may be enough to swing the competition this year.

From historical experience TSS and TGS are not the best travellers, particularly TGS. They both have to travel distance 4 times each this season. So here are the draws:

TSS: BGS (H), BBC (A), GT (A), IGS (H), Bye, NC (H), ACGS (A), BSHS (H) & TGS (A)

NC: TGS (H), Bye, BGS (A), BBC (H), ACGS (H), TSS (A), BSHS (A), GT (H) & IGS (A)

BBC: IGS (H), TSS (H), TGS (A), NC (A), BSHS (H), ACGS (A), GT (A), BGS (H), & Bye

TGS: NC (A), BSHS (H), BBC (H), ACGS (A), BGS (H), GT (A), Bye, IGS (A) & TSS (H)

My gut feeling is that this year's winner will come from BBC, NC, TGS and TSS. However, there will be hard games (and respect needed) against Churchie and IGS. From the draw point of view I think that TGS and NC have the best draw, particularly NC with that bye in round 2. TSS and BBC have the worst draws, particularly BBC with TSS, TGA and NC in a row and the bye at the end of season. Given the draw NC is in the "sit" position.

However as we know it is the confidence and will to win that is more critical to win games and not so much reputation and "fear" of rivals. I think that we could see 5-6 teams within 4 points of each other this year and a much closer (and higher quality) then for some time.

As General Burkhalter says "Very Interesting!"

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
^^^
I like your thoughts and analogy. It will be "He who wants to win most" and the ugly "I" factor (I hope we don't have too many of those) will be the decider.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
My gut feeling is that this year's winner will come from BBC, NC, TGS and TSS.

While I don't disagree with your top 4, I don't understand all the close comp and anyone could win talk

NC are and should be very warm favorites and nothing I have seen this preseason suggests otherwise.

Now we play the games for a reason and upsets do occur (right TSS?)

But NC deserve to be short priced pre-season favorites.

In fact I think last years NC team was a bigger threat to Churchie than any of this years teams are to the Blue and White.

BAG

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
While I don't disagree with your top 4, I don't understand all the close comp and anyone could win talk

NC are and should be very warm favorites and nothing I have seen this preseason suggests otherwise.

Now we play the games for a reason and upsets do occur (right TSS?)

But NC deserve to be short priced per-season favorites in fact I think last years NC team was a bigger threat to Churchie than any of this years teams are to the Blue and White.

BAG
Game of the GPS season will be NC (away) vs TSS (Old Boys Day)

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
In a similar vain, we also have the NC 125 years (Old boys day) v GT game. But the TSS and NC is prominent and I also think the TSS v TGA (at the end of the season) & TSS v BBC game (both away for TSS) will be prominent as well.

Hopefully I can get to the TSS v NC game and stir you coast boys up a little!

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
In a similar vain, we also have the NC 125 years (Old boys day) v GT game. But the TSS and NC is prominent and I also think the TSS v TGA (at the end of the season) & TSS v BBC game (both away for TSS) will be prominent as well.

Hopefully I can get to the TSS v NC game and stir you coast boys up a little!
Looking forward to it and I'll shout the beer after.

Status
Not open for further replies.