• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Tautau makes it if you move Colvin to hooker, and Small to 7 - in my opinion his best position
There's about 15 boys trying out for loose forward position, of which 6 or 7 have a legitimate claim, there's going to be a few disappointed boys once the final selections are made.
I'd have Tuatua in my team though, he's young but he's about a 100 kegs and knows how to use it.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Apologies he was in the 2014-15 Logan squad and they spelt his name wrong - I expect he will be in the mix a some point but suspect this will all be mute in Mackiln has put an some extra bulk this off season.

I do appreciate your contributions B&G but do scratch my head sometimes.

I believe that Macklin and Howard have rowed together in same crew over last couple of seasons. Yet you say one is putting on extra bulk but you fear the other will be too lean. Which one is it when they would be doing exactly the same work together?

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Terrace Prop situation will be interesting. Nasser, Macklin and Keefer all played last year but Keefer could possibly be out for the season. Also some decent props coming up from 15's (Grace and new boy). Most interesting thing to see will be the U16 boys coming through such as Harrison and Isik. Isik came to Terrace in term 3 and didn't get much of an opportunity to gel with the rest of the front row. It will be very interesting to see how he goes in 2016.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
I do appreciate your contributions B&G but do scratch my head sometimes.

I believe that Macklin and Howard have rowed together in same crew over last couple of seasons. Yet you say one is putting on extra bulk but you fear the other will be too lean. Which one is it when they would be doing exactly the same work together?

Sorry to confuse Ill attempt to be clearer - I try not to write essays

In Howard - he was always one of the bigger boys on the field and gained a great advantage through that - the others have caught up somewhat over the years and he can no longer rely on his size/strength to simply overpower opponents - now I am not saying that is all he was/is as a footballer but it was a significant part equally he is still a very strong and powerful 16 year old..

In order to fill the role we were talking about as a running/tackle breaking No 6 as a true 16 year old I would think he would need to bulk up from his standard weight - as/if rowing remains his priority it is hard to see that happening. As a young rower (a true 15 year old in the First 8 last season) he gives away a lot of natural strength to older boys - something he makes up for with incredible fitness and size strength ratio - those ergos he does shed the fat %.

Rowing or not he should be a force NEXT year as he grows again (presumably)

Macklin on the other hand is entering his 18th year and will be one of the older boys certainly at GT - he is in his prime development period and should be naturally heavier and stronger than he was last season,

Additionally I have heard that rugby may be a bigger focus than rowing for him this year.

There is a massive difference in comparing natural physical characteristics and strength of boys 16 and 18 years old and their weight and fitness training (often markedly different) can and often will yield very different outcomes.

I don't see the outcomes as necessarily mutually exclusive particularly given the age difference.

On top of all that I didn't really say I expected either was GOING to happen just that IF Howard is lean and lighter due to rowing (as he was in 2015) I think he will struggle to make the team at 6 in 2016 and GT will look to keep Macklin in the team unless they get a marked advantage in weight by introducing a new prop. The heavier he is the less likely that happens.

BAG

properjob

Allen Oxlade (6)
There's about 15 boys trying out for loose forward position, of which 6 or 7 have a legitimate claim, there's going to be a few disappointed boys once the final selections are made.
I'd have Tuatua in my team though, he's young but he's about a 100 kegs and knows how to use it.
Good depth and selection headache with more good lads in all positions not even mentioned yet! Makes for a competitive pre season! Only issue may be depth in the halves!

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Isik came to Terrace in term 3 and didn't get much of an opportunity to gel with the rest of the front row. It will be very interesting to see how he goes in 2016.

Isik didn't really stand out for me in a pretty disappointing last 4 games for the GT 16A's decimated by Firsts call ups unavailability and injuries.

Cant see him unseating Birgin - very highly regarded at GT both on and off the field - needs to up his workrate in the tough stuff at times IMO but cant see them going in any other direction.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Good depth and selection headache with more good lads in all positions not even mentioned yet! Makes for a competitive pre season! Only issue may be depth in the halves!

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
Yep, I agree, that's where if Roma can get fit, it's his for the taking.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Isik didn't really stand out for me in a pretty disappointing last 4 games for the GT 16A's decimated by Firsts call ups unavailability and injuries.

Cant see him unseating Birgin - very highly regarded at GT both on and off the field - needs to up his workrate in the tough stuff at times IMO but cant see them going in any other direction.

Will there be eligibility issues if this boy only started in Term 3 of yr11?

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
After the Roycroft saga at GT and the late recruits at ACGS a few years back I can't even pretend to understand the eligibility rules.

The Headmasters agreement is as follows:
1)you cannot play 1st xv ( or any open First team) or compete in a GPS championship event ( swimming , t& f , x/country) if you are on any form of sporting bursary/ scholarship and :
A) you are entering grade 12 ;or
B) you did not commence at that school day 1 in grade11.

in 2014 the ACGS boy transferred from Kebebra park high in term 3 after the 2 nd match . The opposing school objected and were told he was " full fee paying" !!!so he played and made Aussie schools .
The reality was that -yes he was full fee paying-but it was paid by a well known parent. The next year he was on scholarship.
This is not uncommon and has also happened in tennis on 2 occassions with the same school on the
northside caught out by the young boys comments on facebook.

Frank Nicholson (4)
The Headmasters agreement is as follows:
1)you cannot play 1st xv ( or any open First team) or compete in a GPS championship event ( swimming , t& f , x/country) if you are on any form of sporting bursary/ scholarship and :
A) you are entering grade 12 ;or
B) you did not commence at that school day 1 in grade11.

in 2014 the ACGS boy transferred from Kebebra park high in term 3 after the 2 nd match . The opposing school objected and were told he was " full fee paying" !!!so he played and made Aussie schools .
The reality was that -yes he was full fee paying-but it was paid by a well known parent. The next year he was on scholarship.
This is not uncommon and has also happened in tennis on 2 occassions with the same school on the
northside caught out by the young boys comments on facebook.
Probably Scholarship thread stuff but if true, indicates a lack of integrity by the headmaster. A gentlemens
agreement is a gentlemens agreement.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Dangerous territory here folks.

There is a Scholarship Thread to discuss matters relating to importing, scholarships, bursaries, fee relief, recruiting enticements, enrolment anomalies or whatever is the current terminology.

In that thread, by all means have a go at school entities if you must, but refrain from naming names of children. People change schools for all sorts of reasons, not all of them do so because of beneficial financial arrangements.

Michalak

Bob McCowan (2)
Dangerous territory here folks.

There is a Scholarship Thread to discuss matters relating to importing, scholarships, bursaries, fee relief, recruiting enticements, enrolment anomalies or whatever is the current terminology.

In that thread, by all means have a go at school entities if you must, but refrain from naming names of children. People change schools for all sorts of reasons, not all of them do so because of beneficial financial arrangements.

The post about the new boys at Nudgee which I'm assuming has been deleted had no mention of scholarships though? It merely asked someone to confirm that they are at Nudgee. Doesn't really make sense IMO o_O

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The post would still be there if the word "import" had not been used, along with the specific names of the children in question.

We are not dealing with adults or professional sportspersons. These are children that are being discussed.

No problem with the expression "changed schools". That is a fact. "Import" does not belong in this thread, and unless one has the precise detail of the enrolment conditions, it is speculative at best.

If you do know of the enrolment arrangements, then think again about whether there is any value in talking about that detail on the Scholarship Thread in a largely anonymous public forum. Would you like folk discussing the enrolment conditions of your children?

Still disagree. Then read the forum rules.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The word 'import' wasn't used. So yes, I still disagree

The word used was "imports" and then 5 students were named. Provisions are made to comment about schools in the Sporting Scholarships thread. Don't try and have a go at HJ when he is implementing the rules of the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.