• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
I was able to ask some people in the know last night about this age group at GT. At the moment Howard weighs around 95kg - and not an ounce of fat (they reckon he went past 85kg in grade 9).

I saw him yesterday and I would take 95kgs with a very big grain of salt - he did look very strong and fit and a bit bigger than I expected.

For the record I in no way question his ability I am just not sure there is position for him in the GT side this year he will be a key player next year for sure.

I don't think he is ready to move to prop for a contending team.

At any rate Mackiln offers the same physical presence is 2 years older and has a year of 1stXV under his belt so if you aren't adding considerable size I cant see Mackilin losing his position and Nasser is a given.

6 is his best bet but there are quite a few boys with claims to the back row positions:

Returning:
Webster - 2015 7 - played a lot of 8 in JGC and big impact player this year for mine
Lutvey - 2015 No 8 - better suited to 6 IMO
Kelly played 7 lost spot to Webster a chance at 6

New Players:
Tweedy - probably not playing though (??) but always had start potential
Wilson - will be at either 8 or 4 probably 4.
Wrigley - who is looking more like an 6/8 than a 12/13
Hearne - Leader of the 16's and quality 7
White - a nice work in progress who I like at 8 but may be groomed for 1 in 2017.

So at least 9 including Howard with legitimate claims

GT are going to have a nice back row and an exceptional one if they can find an impact No 8.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Doesn't the gentleman's agreement around the firsts mean you can't be a discounted student to play? If so, why would you offer a full fee discount to a kid who cannot play firsts?

The HM agreement is :
1) if on scholarship must be at school day 1 grade 11 to play 1st xv (easy to get around if fees are paid by a benefactor -as in ACGS 2014 rumour);
2) if any boy of any age- is on scholarship and wants to discuss a move to another AIC/GPS school where they will be on a scholarship -then the parents must contact the "current" school to so advise of those discussions.

A to your question.To stockpile players for the 1sts & get them in the system.

Old Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Whilst there are some variables with injury 1 to 8 is very predictable at GT.
Howard is 6 and Wilson is 4. Same front row as last year.
Hearne needs a year in a good pasture as he is too small even if his heart is not.
Perhaps a few shocks at 9,13,14 and 15. A few surprises in the offing depending where a few returning stars get positioned.
Hoolihan vs Kirk should be interesting at 9. More positions open in the back line than up front but some unexpected but welcome developers who have come on in the last six months.
GT are well coached and have talent to burn. A good start could lead to a 2004 repeat

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
Whilst there are some variables with injury 1 to 8 is very predictable at GT.
Howard is 6 and Wilson is 4. Same front row as last year.
Hearne needs a year in a good pasture as he is too small even if his heart is not.
Perhaps a few shocks at 9,13,14 and 15. A few surprises in the offing depending where a few returning stars get positioned.
Hoolihan vs Kirk should be interesting at 9. More positions open in the back line than up front but some unexpected but welcome developers who have come on in the last six months.
GT are well coached and have talent to burn. A good start could lead to a 2004 repeat
Agree with the GT fwd pack although Hearne will get his chances here and there with a few games as I believe hes just too good to leave out as is Howard and White. Houlihan in my opinion is a long shot he was 15bs #9 last year and perhaps lacks the physicality required at this level, in my opinion the halfback spot will be a battle between Kirk who was 16A last year and has some pedigree at GT and a boy named Siolo who was the 15A's halfback last year and also Met North he also played CC cup this year.
In the Centers I believe there is a new boy from NZ who has size and speed to burn and could fit into Center or fullback he played cc cup this year where he was recruited and then there is also H.Stevens who was 15a center and Met North capt last year he also played CC cup this year. The wing spot should go to Oyelodi, who was in my opinion the pick of GT 15a backs last year.

note: I mention CC cup as I see many GPS schools are recruiting from this competition lately and in my opinion this is higher quality competition than anything union has to offer at the moment in this age group in terms of athelete, pace and physicality.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Agree with the GT fwd pack although Hearne will get his chances here and there with a few games as I believe hes just too good to leave out as is Howard and White. Houlihan in my opinion is a long shot he was 15bs #9 last year and perhaps lacks the physicality required at this level, in my opinion the halfback spot will be a battle between Kirk who was 16A last year and has some pedigree at GT and a boy named Siolo who was the 15A's halfback last year and also Met North he also played CC cup this year.
In the Centers I believe there is a new boy from NZ who has size and speed to burn and could fit into Center or fullback he played cc cup this year where he was recruited and then there is also H.Stevens who was 15a center and Met North capt last year he also played CC cup this year. The wing spot should go to Oyelodi, who was in my opinion the pick of GT 15a backs last year.

note: I mention CC cup as I see many GPS schools are recruiting from this competition lately and in my opinion this is higher quality competition than anything union has to offer at the moment in this age group in terms of athelete, pace and physicality.

Another year of a young first XV at GT it looks like. Worrying signs IMO

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)

Chatting last night to a GT parent I heard the likes of Howard and White, and even Hartland are not likely to start. There'll only be a few 16s in the firsts and not the ones we're talking about. So GT will have a mostly year 12 firsts.

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
Chatting last night to a GT parent I heard the likes of Howard and White, and even Hartland are not likely to start. There'll only be a few 16s in the firsts and not the ones we're talking about. So GT will have a mostly year 12 firsts.
There is a suggestion that your parent is in the "know" with key contacts at GT or even some sort of influence or perhaps just another Rugby parent with some coaching exp, its really not clear how that opinion differs from other opinions on this forum.
Although I agree GT will be mostly yr 12 boys with a couple of 16 yr olds perhaps making an appearance or 2 throughout the season

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
There is a suggestion that your parent is in the "know" with key contacts at GT or even some sort of influence or perhaps just another Rugby parent with some coaching exp, its really not clear how that opinion differs from other opinions on this forum.
Although I agree GT will be mostly yr 12 boys with a couple of 16 yr olds perhaps making an appearance or 2 throughout the season

No just a parent of a year 12 boy trying out for the firsts. I simply dropped the names I knew and had heard from this forum and the response was that the 16s looking good for spots were not the names I gave. It wasn't more in depth or insightful than that. I never really asked how he knew.

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
By the banter, I reckon it is most open season in Qld GPS for a very long time.

It seems everyone is intent on misunderstanding my rowing opinion so I'll drop it saying only that I've seen Howard play since year 8 and it's my personal opinion he would benefit his rugby by toning down his rowing in favour of other training.

Back on the firsts, id dearly love to see TGS get up this year and I think they can. NC and TSS will be great as usual, BSHS and GT I'm afraid will have the boys but will stumble because they just can't seem to get it together. BGS may have their first year of not being easy beats in a while, and I don't know enough about BBC, ACGS to know much more than how they went last year.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
So I do think rowing and rugby can work together at schoolboy level. I think BBC will be good for it this year. I think the Sanix tournament making it a very long season was the biggest factor in their season results last year

Mr Shark
i agree with you.The Sanix made it too long a season and the number of injuries proved it.was it 4 or 5 centres they went through?

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
It seems everyone is intent on misunderstanding my rowing opinion so I'll drop it saying only that I've seen Howard play since year 8 and it's my personal opinion he would benefit his rugby by toning down his rowing in favour of other training.

Back on the firsts, id dearly love to see TGS get up this year and I think they can. NC and TSS will be great as usual, BSHS and GT I'm afraid will have the boys but will stumble because they just can't seem to get it together. BGS may have their first year of not being easy beats in a while, and I don't know enough about BBC, ACGS to know much more than how they went last year.

Two things that do appear clear:
1) TSS will have the most boys back ; and
2) TSS will have the most 18 year olds -- which will count in last 10 minutes

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Both the 16's and the 1st's are wide open this year. It'll be good to get a sneak peak down at TSS for the GPS trials.

Yes but having Rep players does not always equate to s premiership . Look what the Nationals did to BBC and TSS in terms of injuries last year and those 2 schools had the most Rep players

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Yes but having Rep players does not always equate to s premiership . Look what the Nationals did to BBC and TSS in terms of injuries last year and those 2 schools had the most Rep players
Agreed, as the saying goes, a champion team, will beat a team of champions.

By the time these trials happen the teams will be finalised barring injury. Seeing the final makeup of what everyone has been speculating on this forum in one place will make for a good day down at Southport.

The GT Army

Bob McCowan (2)
GT has also a new boy. His name escapes me but he is from the Southside. Plays prop. Weighs in close to a 130kg. He has joined the school and is repeating year 10. MY understanding he will feature in the FIrsts this year but no mention of him on this thread?

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
GT has also a new boy. His name escapes me but he is from the Southside. Plays prop. Weighs in close to a 130kg. He has joined the school and is repeating year 10. MY understanding he will feature in the FIrsts this year but no mention of him on this thread?

repeating year 10 so you get him for 3 years . now who we do we know that used that recipe atNC,ACGS and then BBC ?????Slow it down Tom - takes more than 2 years

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
If what I am hearing is correct-reputations mean nothing up at BBC at the moment.Some big -name rep players from 2015 are in the dog -house.
Could they be creating a culture-surely not.!

But then again (glass houses) the same could be be said about TSS up until 2002(thank god for centenary years & old boy egos)

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
If what I am hearing is correct-reputations mean nothing up at BBC at the moment.Some big -name rep players from 2015 are in the dog -house.
Could they be creating a culture-surely not.!

But then again (glass houses) the same could be be said about TSS up until 2002(thank god for centenary years & old boy egos)

I think you mean 2001 for TSS . But yes 1938 to 2001 ( centenary year) was a long drought but rarely out of top 3 since.

Status
Not open for further replies.