• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean McCain

Stan Wickham (3)
Ullrich will not be playing any sort of role in the BGS First XV this year. Forward pack is basically decided already except for the front row with Eiszele returning. I expect Johnny Shaw (BGS 6) to play a big role this year. Oli Sheperd will also look to push his way into the starting side. Hit of the day IMO was from Harry Martin vs Nudgee. Great to see some chat about BGS going around. Any news on the 2nd round of GPS trials/selections?

I have heard from a BGS parent that Ullrich is Firsts material having apparently represented New Zealand in the 2011 Rugby World Cup as a ball boy. Therefore Oscar you are wrong. Cheers

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
While I understand your point the King, alot of those 'facts' about those relations are incorrect in terms of how good the blokes are.

Where has Murray played for UQ? He's always had heaps of errors in his game

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Did some googling and didn't expect to find this!

It turns out just about every flyhalf I looked at is between 176 cm and 185 cm, bar a few notable exceptions.

Super Rugby Flyhalves

Aaron Cruden - 175 cm, 84 kg
Lima Sopoaga - 175 cm, 84 kg
Beauden Barrett - 187 cm, 92 kg
Richie Mounga - 176 cm, 84 kg
Ihaia West - 174 cm, 84 kg
Bernard Foley - 182, 84 kg
Jake McIntyre - 177, 86 kg
Jono Lance - 183, 92 kg
Jack Debreczeni - 192, 100 kg
Christian Leallifano - 179 cm, 95 kg

Former GPS flyhalves
Liam Moseley - 178 cm, 79 kg (AFL draft weight, not rugby playing weight)
Mitch Third - 175 cm, 87 kg
Sam Greene - 178 cm, 88 kg
Brodie Croft - 177 cm, 83 kg
Mack Mason - 178 cm, 83 kg
Carlin Anderson - 180 cm, 88 kg
James Tuttle - 176 cm, 84 kg
Paddy James - 185 cm, 88 kg
Billy Brittain - 177 cm, 80 kg
UJ Seuteni - 185 cm, 90 kg
Matt Parcell - 181 cm, 99 kg

Lucas Siblings
Ben Lucas - 178, 81 kg (9, 10, 15)
Tom Lucas - 181, 83 kg (10, 12)
Matt Lucas - 174, 80 kg (9)
Isaac Lucas - ?

Darvo

Peter Burge (5)
I have heard from a BGS parent that Ullrich is Firsts material having apparently represented New Zealand in the 2011 Rugby World Cup as a ball boy. Therefore Oscar you are wrong. Cheers

I agree. He clearly has was it takes with his 105kg frame and 6ft 4

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Would these younger siblings be selected if they were not following a named big brother?

I'm actually not arguing that every little brother/son/nephew ever be selected for Queensland - we don't have teams 1-15 named Smith for a reason.

I'm actually just pointing out players with a family history of elite rugby tend to follow that path. Of course it's not limited to siblings, but genetics tend to dictate that if you have one sprinter in the family, chances are the sprinter's younger siblings have also inherited those fast twitch muscle fibres.

Usain Bolt's little brother will not be slow. Shaquille O'Neill's son is going to be tall and heavy set.

Let's take the Lucas family as an example. All four brothers fall within a physical spread of 6 cm and 4 kg. They've all got the perfect size requirements for the position, courtesy of genetics. For all the brothers to come through Rugby Sevens, you could make the assumption that the family unit has an incredible work ethic and natural lung capacity. Chances are good that the fourth brother will fit the mould of the first three in that way - the stuff you can't coach is sorted.

If all four brothers played touch in the backyard together all their lives (in this case untrue, Ben was lots older), then the younger brother upskills to match the skill levels of the older brothers. Hence why backyard cricketers who are the babies of the family are often the most talented batsmen or bowlers - they've been training against superior opposition than their peers. I believe the same applies for rugby, especially considering that younger brothers would start earlier, giving them more experience by the time they reach that same age.

I'm not arguing that every sibling is equal to each other. But I just listed 25 pairs of family members who were both good enough to play First XV Rugby in Australia's toughest schoolboy competition in the last 12 months. I don't accept that it's based purely on their name.

These siblings share more than a surname.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
While I understand your point the King, alot of those 'facts' about those relations are incorrect in terms of how good the blokes are.

Where has Murray played for UQ? He's always had heaps of errors in his game

I couldn't actually tell you which position he played the most at UQ. He definitely played games at fullback which was his most natural fit.

Errors are part and parcel of his style of play though. I'm a forgiving judge - I didn't mind Quade Cooper wasting opportunities through errors as long as he was trying something positive.

As he gets more experienced he'll learn when to chance his hand and pick his moments better. Last year he had some incredibly bad decision-making, which he appears to have reeled in.

I think people have been too taken in by my siblings comment. He's a genuinely good player in his own right, and has every chance to surpass JJ.

properjob

Allen Oxlade (6)
Identity theft is a crime, 'Darvo'. I can't imagine what Bill would say.

Just sat down and looked at all the returning players for this season, and threw together a returning First XV. Obviously new students + last year's 15 and 16As will throw some bolters in to the mix for a Queensland team, but this ain't that.
  1. Lloyd Gorman (State High)
  2. Blake Schoupp (Nudgee)
  3. Chris Yanopa (BBC - you can't ignore the little fireball!)
  4. Angus Blyth (Southport, tall timber being headhunted by the AFL. They always take one super tall lock regardless of ability)
  5. Hugh Arthur (Brisbane Grammar - injured in 2015)

6. Fraser McReight (Brisbane Grammar, third year of First XV)
  7. Tipene Mavoa (Southport)
  8. Isaac Lucas (Gregory Terrace, flyhalf destined for a move to 9 eventually)
  9. Augustus Rangihuna (Nudgee)
  10. Brendan Malala (Nudgee)
  11. Ashton Watson (Toowoomba Grammar)
  12. Len Ikitau (BBC)
  13. Will Eadie (Gregory Terrace)
  14. Murray Taulagi (State High)
  15. Sean Farrell (BBC - third year of First XV)
  16. Oliver Macklin (GT)
  17. Josh Nasser (GT - needs set piece improvement, but size + pedigree helps)
  18. Richard Clift (TGS)
  19. Patrick Tafa (BSHS)
  20. Isaac Henry (BBC - only returning halfback)
  21. Semisi Tupou (NC - this kid is going to be good)
  22. Tristan Stanghorn (Churchie)
Tupou is already good but can be very good:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sean McCain

Stan Wickham (3)
Confident that a strong and well developed BGS side are the obvious winners of this years premiership. BBC, Nudgee and Southport all looking underdeveloped with poor attitude.

Stripes

Chris McKivat (8)
Tupou is already good but can be very good:)

Is Tupou playing fullback this year? If so, will be good to see him and Taulagi play this weekend in Nudgee v BSHS trial game. Both are outstanding players.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Agreed! Pretty sure Henry (BBC) has no brothers and he played 1st XV last year at only 16 (played 9 when he is actually a 10).

And the award for the most ironic username goes to...

Never did I even remotely suggest that having elder siblings be successful at rugby was a prerequisite to making the first XV, and even a marking criteria for rep selectors.

I gave 25 examples of players with family backgrounds. Common sense would suggest that are still 130 odd players with no previous family experience that made the First XV.

Is Tupou playing fullback this year? If so, will be good to see him and Taulagi play this weekend in Nudgee v BSHS trial game. Both are outstanding players.

I hope he plays outside centre. He was so, so good there last year and I'm frothing a combination with Xavier Soli in midfield.

With regards to Terrace, is the backline shaping up anything like this?

10. Isaac Lucas
11. Jordan Rogers
12. Bailey Ralston
13. Ed Burns
14. Will Eadie
15. Jimmy Hartland

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I hope he plays outside centre. He was so, so good there last year and I'm frothing a combination with Xavier Soli in midfield.

With regards to Terrace, is the backline shaping up anything like this?

10. Isaac Lucas
11. Jordan Rogers
12. Bailey Ralston
13. Ed Burns
14. Will Eadie
15. Jimmy Hartland

Ed Burns graduated in 2015

properjob

Allen Oxlade (6)
Confident that a strong and well developed BGS side are the obvious winners of this years premiership. BBC, Nudgee and Southport all looking underdeveloped with poor attitude.
Poor attitude, you must have a great insight to pick up on that after 1 game! Just take a deep breath and we'll see how your crystal ball goes!

properjob

Allen Oxlade (6)

Probably centre!

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Before you start reading, I'm sorry. I clearly have far, far too much time on my hands.

1. JJ Taulagi is considered big enough to play Super Rugby. Murray is already bigger than JJ.

3. Having watched Murray a couple of times last year, and for maybe the last five weeks at Premier Colts, it is clear that Murray is cut from the same cloth from JJ. They have similar skillsets and the same style of play - attack the line, use footwork to break tackles, look for continuity with offloads.

4. In an interview I did with JJ last year, he spoke about his experience coaching the Uni U18 Sevens team to a Noosa Sevens win. That team had guys like Kris Verevis, Kalala Meni, Tony Hunt and Jaydn Ngamanu, and JJ said his brother made the biggest impact on the tournament.

5. Murray has already played tournaments with Tribe Sevens, arguably the world's best touring Sevens team.

6. In the siblings argument, we've watched Murray's greatest influencer play for the Reds. Just like I'd argue that there is a good chance that Isaac Lucas will attempt Rugby Sevens and be pretty good at it - we can make this call because three of his brothers went through.

How about some examples from the last twelve months?

1.Brendan Nasser's son turns out to be pretty good at rugby.

3. Isaac Lucas is pretty good.

6. Mack Mason's little brother is about to start at 10 for Churchie.

8. I saw Angus Blyth's little brother got selected to the Queensland U15s - what are the odds that he is going to grow in to a very tall second rower?

10. Twins Jack and Sean Farrell played First XV for BBC

15. Terrace Hooker Harry Birgin was a star for GT's First XV - just like elder brother Ben, from 2011
16. A little bloke named Shea Lalagavesi from State High appeared on a JGC team sheet last year - I didn't even have to check to guess that his position was 14, because he was the younger brother of State High's 2009 dream team winger and current Souths Magpies speedster Josateki Lalagavesi.
17. Neal McNamara started for State High on the wing last year, he was the younger brother of Australian U20s fullback Liam McNamara

19. Likewise, Tom Jeffries from Nudgee College will probably be a very good player at First XV level - his eldest brother Sam plays for the Rebels, his middle brother Nick played GPS 1 in 2014.
22. Nudgee college flanker Kalala Meni played for the Australian Schoolboys, while his little brother TJ played on the wing for the First XV. Talented siblings strike again

24. BGS flanker Fraser McReight is the representative star of his First XV - just like his elder brother Stuart was in 2013.

All this is to say that to have an older sibling to learn the ropes from, with the same genetic material, have a better chance at being better than their peers.

If you're playing the 'not big enough' card then Murray also fits into this category. He wouldn't be anything over 80 odd kg's and for a modern day wing/fullback/centre that is too light.

Murray is very talented and has amazing vision yet as you alluded to her makes several errors in trying to produce things that aren't there, much like JJ. Bad traits tend to bee genetic too.

Nasser's son is back this year and so too is Birgan.

Shea Lalagavesi is blessed with natural speed and has put size on yet his ability under the high ball and rugby sense is lacking.

Neal McNamara has played in age grade reps sides all the way through and plays halfback . I didn't think he got much time in 2015?

Tom Jefferies played 16A's all year 11 and isn't a shoe in in any case.

TJ Meni will most likely come in off the wing so they can properly use him.

McReight is a natural 7 and will be a star in this years comp

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
So if he was finishing year 12 last year in ACT, what is he doing at BBC this year? Surely it's not just to have a crack at QLD/AUS schoolboys? Reading the articles, his hearts in Judo and he only switched to union recently. Whatever the reason though, the kid is multi-talented - what an athlete!

He is at TSS not BBC

Status
Not open for further replies.