• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Missing players is relevant to me when I'm looking at results of games that I didn't witness. For me; it's not about excuses but rather putting score lines / results into some perspective (as long as the intel is accurate).

After witnessing the u13's last year, a few oversized players who weigh 30-60kgs over their opposition players can end up dragging half a forward pack with them, or pull backs out of their line to make up for missed tackles. This opens up the game for said team.

In U14's that size advantage is reduced. Boys are stronger so it takes less numbers to manage those players, who generally haven't grown that much more. It doesn't mean they still aren't really good players, It just means the distribution of force is managed better.

Regardless, it makes for more interesting rugby and there's nothing wrong with sharing accurate intel. I have noticed another big factor from 13's to 14's ... the increase in the injury rate. It plays a part and depth now starts to become increasingly important... all the way to the 1sts.

Old Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Missing players is relevant to me when I'm looking at results of games that I didn't witness. For me; it's not about excuses but rather putting score lines / results into some perspective (as long as the intel is accurate).

After witnessing the u13's last year, a few oversized players who weigh 30-60kgs over their opposition players can end up dragging half a forward pack with them, or pull backs out of their line to make up for missed tackles. This opens up the game for said team.

In U14's that size advantage is reduced. Boys are stronger so it takes less numbers to manage those players, who generally haven't grown that much more. It doesn't mean they still aren't really good players, It just means the distribution of force is managed better.

Regardless, it makes for more interesting rugby and there's nothing wrong with sharing accurate intel. I have noticed another big factor from 13's to 14's . the increase in the injury rate. It plays a part and depth now starts to become increasingly important. all the way to the 1sts.

Old Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Spent the day out at GT. The first fifteen dominated 44-24. Lucas, Eadie and Wilson gave a master class. You can see what the Aussie schoolboys selectors saw.
Under 16a won by GT. 25-8. Big IGS pack tamed with the big GT prop (sorry no name)going forward hard.Two breakaways including the replacement breakaway had fine games. Real scavengers. Some fine tries by the impressive back line including one team effort finished off by the big GT inside Centre was great to watch

F

from the side

Toowoomba Grammar under 14 A game against BSHS was an outstanding game. Someone had forgotten to tell the TGS boys that BSHS are the heavy weights of the comp. They flew at them like a Jack Russell on a Great Dane and went straight for the jatz crackers. TGS forwards are hard skinny wiry bush kids but devastating in defence. The 9 and 10 are the current Queensland Country 9 and 10, very slick and they have two new imports in the back line, that are particularly handy. Outside backs were also impressive punching way above their weight. BSHS 14's remain the team to beat, the are impressive across the park, the red headed 10 is a class act.. Also Churchie 16 A's remain unbeaten they are a terrific side, and the TSS thirds I still claim should be the seconds.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Toowoomba Grammar under 14 A game against BSHS was an outstanding game. Someone had forgotten to tell the TGS boys that BSHS are the heavy weights of the comp. They flew at them like a Jack Russell on a Great Dane and went straight for the jatz crackers. TGS forwards are hard skinny wiry bush kids but devastating in defence. The 9 and 10 are the current Queensland Country 9 and 10, very slick and they have two new imports in the back line, that are particularly handy. Outside backs were also impressive punching way above their weight. BSHS 14's remain the team to beat, the are impressive across the park, the red headed 10 is a class act.. Also Churchie 16 A's remain unbeaten they are a terrific side, and the TSS thirds I still claim should be the seconds.

I agree the TSS 2 nds and 3rds have ridiculous depth. who is prop in 2nds that scored 2 long range tries?Is he the boy from ACT?

Couple of things about the firsts match:
1) TSS can put on a show - that was a big crowd;
2)very high standard game between 2 very fit teams;
3) when BBC took lead 14-10 with 20 to go I thought their fitness might get them home;
4) but bad discipline, 2 aimless kicks from the BBC wingers and a brilliant kicking display by the TSS kicker with 4 out of 4 got them home - just - even though BBC scored 3 tries to 2;
5) there was nothing between 2 teams and defence was brutal. best players were 8 for TSS and 13 For BBC;
6) TSS 5 won the battle of the 203cm boys with the TSS boy scoring a crucial try from a blindside run by 8;
7) great game of rugby

I

Ippy 15As

After seeing the Churchie 16As yesterday, i noticed their speed in the break down and around the corner meant they were able to punsish Grammar for their lack of fitness and their small mistakes in the second half. In the first half it was only 5-3 for churchie then it all fell apart for grammar form there and blew out to 32-3 full time.

I

Ippy 15As

I agree the TSS 2 nds and 3rds have ridiculous depth. who is prop in 2nds that scored 2 long range tries?Is he the boy from ACT?

3) when BBC took lead 14-10 with 20 to go I thought their fitness might get them home;
4) but bad discipline, 2 aimless kicks from the BBC wingers and a brilliant kicking display by the TSS kicker with 4 out of 4 got them home - just - even though BBC scored 3 tries to 2;
5) there was nothing between 2 teams and defence was brutal. best players were 8 for TSS and 13 For BBC;
6) TSS 5 won the battle of the 203cm boys with the TSS boy scoring a crucial try from a blindside run by 8;
7) great game of rugby

I see Sam Dobb is enjoying his time

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)
Good tournament out at Ipswich for U15 state schoolboy championships over the last 4 days. Final was won by South Coast over Met North 25-7, 3rd v 4th playoff saw Met East edge out Capricornia by a point with a try in the corner and conversion from the sideline in the last minute of play. The final was played by the best two teams over the tournament with both going into the final undefeated and consistently playing a high standard of rugby over the first three days. South Coast squeezed the life out of Met North in the final and ran out deserved winners 4 tries to 1. BBC boys were notable by their absence in the Met West side, I am not sure why there were none selected or perhaps the school didn't allow them to be selected, which is disappointing for the boys if this was the case.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)

7) great game of rugby

8) BBC knocked on at least 8 times in the game
9) BBC often could not get ball out of their own rucks and mauls.
10) BBC had a good opportunity mid way through 2nd half for a very kickable penalty shot and went for line which proved costly
11) earlier in the half BBC did the best ever penalty kick for line I can recall in any game of rugby from which their last try came from

Congratulations to both teams and schools a brilliant game of footy played in great spirit and a great after game function hosted by TSS.

We hope you relocate the plover family from the main field before your next game.

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
Seems like the same old same old story coming out of ippy with the whole rugby structure... coaching...well you said it say no more ... apparently great recruitment money spent ..poor results.. new facilities tick... Rumour of change last year ... CHANGES THIS YEAR.. lets hope a strong GPS comp is needed...

Stripes

Chris McKivat (8)
My suggestion is instead of picking out a player and what YOU perceive to be their weaknesses, how about you highlight someone in the 2nds or 16A's who you think is good or better. For example "the no 10 in 2nds shows exceptional decision making skills, gets involved in the game and deserves a run in the firsts."
Just about every first team has one or two boys that are questionable but it would be very destructive if we were all to come on here and single them out. Let's try focus on the players who are playing exceptional rugby. The negative criticism can be left to their coach who will no doubt provide it in a more constructive approach.

[Ed: offending quote removed, as the original poster has done the same, but the remaining message is worth remembering.]

chips

Stan Wickham (3)
i can report that Harry Wilson, the 2nd row from GT and picked in the Aust barbarians has been approached by a few NRL clubs, having identified him as a destructive ball runner with the best off load in the competition. His 2 off loads for tries to Eadie and JJ the replacement winger were out of this world. One of those NRL clubs is South Sydney, who he follows and will seriously consider. however, he is only in year 11, i hope QLD rugby put out all stops to retain him in the code.

F

from the side

Queensland rugby will pounce on him don't worry about that !! However probably only after he has played for the Rabbitohs for 10 years, made a couple of kangaroo sides and they will get him in the last few years of his career and subsequently nurse him through a knee reconstruction, after paying him a million a season. Or they could talk to him now and get him early, however not really their style.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vintage Red

Herbert Moran (7)
Queensland rugby will pounce on him don't worry about that !! However probably only after he has played for the Rabbitohs for 10 years, made a couple of kangaroo sides and they will get him in the last few years of his career and subsequently nurse him through a knee reconstruction, after paying him a million a season. Or they could talk to him now and get him early, however not really their style.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With the new Queensland Reds Coach being a former Terrace student, perhaps he might already be across this!!

rugbyontherange

Frank Nicholson (4)
Good tournament out at Ipswich for U15 state schoolboy championships over the last 4 days. Final was won by South Coast over Met North 25-7, 3rd v 4th playoff saw Met East edge out Capricornia by a point with a try in the corner and conversion from the sideline in the last minute of play. The final was played by the best two teams over the tournament with both going into the final undefeated and consistently playing a high standard of rugby over the first three days. South Coast squeezed the life out of Met North in the final and ran out deserved winners 4 tries to 1. BBC boys were notable by their absence in the Met West side, I am not sure why there were none selected or perhaps the school didn't allow them to be selected, which is disappointing for the boys if this was the case.

Apparently 5 of the boys in the winning South Coast side were from TSS 15A's who only just went down to BBC by 1 try. BBC were at full strength as I heard the same, the BBC boys were not allowed to stand for selection. BBC scored in the first 10 mins and then TSS kept them out for most of the game until they scored from a kick off when the players were miles in front of the kicker. Awesome effort from an understrength TSS side.

Not sure why U15 State Schoolboy Championships competition is being in the middle of the GPS, club and league season? Surely QLD Rugby has to sanction this and you wonder why they would at this time of year.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
i can report that Harry Wilson, the 2nd row from GT and picked in the Aust barbarians has been approached by a few NRL clubs..

however, he is only in year 11, i hope QLD rugby put out all stops to retain him in the code.

Harry Wilson is in Year 12 - the coach told me as much when I interviewed him.

He played a few times off the bench in last year's First XV, grew up physically and is now arguably THE form player in the GPS.

But if Rugby League was looking for anyone I'd be pointing them to Eadie - he was yellow carded last week for punching a ball dead in-goal!

He had a terrific game.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
Duck egg on the weekend - first ever. This season is a complete head f#@k.

TSS have 3 wins by less than 3 or 4 and they are on top. State High, GT, BBC well and truly in it and then there's Nudgee.

As big Kev would say - I'm excited!

dark

Frank Row (1)
Harry Wilson is in Year 12 - the coach told me as much when I interviewed him.

He played a few times off the bench in last year's First XV, grew up physically and is now arguably THE form player in the GPS.

But if Rugby League was looking for anyone I'd be pointing them to Eadie - he was yellow carded last week for punching a ball dead in-goal!

He had a terrific game.

Status
Not open for further replies.