• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
no but you did throw a uniform in.Of course he will make the team- great talent .Good luck to GT he will enjoy the coaching.

What position you thinking??

GT has their 13, 14 (4 games) and 15 returning,, a current Qld 7's rep in grade 12 who plays 12 or 13 mainly 13, a 2015 Qld u15 10 (played 15 in 16'A last year) and 2 very good representive centres in the 2017 16's already.

Now don't read this wrong I am a big fan and would love to see him force his way in, but getting into the top side as a 16 year old is getting harder and harder, competition to make the grade in 2017 at GT in the backs is going to be tough no one is assured of a particular spot at this point IMO.

Now if he were a 2 or 3 things would be different.

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
Players to watch in 2017-tips for Aussie schools:
1) Wilson of GT(the Artie Beetson of GPS);
2) Bullemor of NC (think Jerome Keino-if Broncos release him);
3) Hosea of BBC ( 203cm and NC rowers say he he is bigger & fitter.Will the Rebels let him try out for Aussie schools this year?).

Note to Brave & Game: I do hope you continue your rolling age group summaries this year.They were great reading & very fair in 2016-and accurate.

Re 15 A . NC very disappointed that they missed out on the boy from Rockie that went to BBC. Now we are just pissed -because word is he has brought a mate with him!)

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
IGS 15A's have lost their No 8 ( St Kentigens NZ ) who also happens to be the son of their Coach for the last 2 years.

That's a big blow that will level out the top end of the table a bit at that year group and probably doesn't have IGS as prohibitive favourites as they would have rightfully carried into the season

No doubt the Red and White will have contingent plans in place .

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
what position is his mate?

I am told a 10 or 12.
Cant see BBC winning 15 A without some grunt up front.
All depends how many "newbies" arrive at TSS.
Was it 6 or 8 new boys last year?.
Always fun to watch TSS 14 A lose every match and next year their 15 A competes for premiership!!.
That is their method -and they do it well.
Their 1st xv depth this year is obscene.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Note to Brave & Game: I do hope you continue your rolling age group summaries this year.They were great reading & very fair in 2016-and accurate.

I am planning on it, but there are so many new boys and departures this off season I am really struggling to put together a clear picture on any age group.

Hopefully I'll make it out to a a lot of the trails and get a feel - somehow I think there are going to be a lot of surprises this season.

BAG

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
And I wouldn't worry about TSS that much in the 15's this year.

Churchie will wrestle Grammar for who is Big and Little Wooden Spooners

TSS will be a smidge above that "contest"

Greg Adams

Frank Nicholson (4)
As a BGS parent that was around the squad last year and still at the school (younger boy) I was very impressed with what the new coaching team did with the squad, not so much with the results ( one win is better than nothing ) but the new attitude around the group. Hopefully the returning players this year can pass onto the new players in the group and BGS rugby can take another step forward. My understanding is that there will be 4- 5 forwards that played last year and another 1 or 2 that were on the fringe + 3 - 4 backs that are returning. Add to that the talented fullback from the 15a's last year and the centre from the 16a's there could be some improvement. Don't get me wrong, I AM NOT predicting any miracles, just some progression in BGS rugby. Hopefully BGS has followed the lead of others and "acquired" some new students who have some rugby ability :);)

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
As a BGS parent that was around the squad last year and still at the school (younger boy) I was very impressed with what the new coaching team did with the squad, not so much with the results ( one win is better than nothing ) but the new attitude around the group. Hopefully the returning players this year can pass onto the new players in the group and BGS rugby can take another step forward. My understanding is that there will be 4- 5 forwards that played last year and another 1 or 2 that were on the fringe + 3 - 4 backs that are returning. Add to that the talented fullback from the 15a's last year and the centre from the 16a's there could be some improvement. Don't get me wrong, I AM NOT predicting any miracles, just some progression in BGS rugby. Hopefully BGS has followed the lead of others and "acquired" some new students who have some rugby ability :);)

Well said. No reason why BGS have not acquired a few more like the Fijian 13 in 15As last year.Certainly BGS have "acquired" some cricketers(3 from NT) ,swimmers (the boy from up north set 3 GPS records )and x/country(3 new boys in under 15 last year).
But can you stop the charade and stop saying they are music /academic scholarships.!!
You do not set a record x/country score with academic scholarships.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I dunno that it is a charade Diggers ......I think that's just how they roll

EG : Grammar 15A's will have a new lock starting this year who is basically a straight A student . This lad may well develop into one of the better set piece locks in the age group and he has a strong ( developing ) defensive work rate ...sort of like how you see Adam Coleman popping up everywhere .

If you fit inside their very specific box they will have a crack

Thing is with Swimming / Running Junior athletes - its not uncommon to see a decent number of them do well academically. Perhaps it's the routine from rote type training crossing over into early academic development

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Is it any real surprise that the boys with the discipline and mental fortitude to run long distance or commit to swim training do well academically?

I'm sure BGS are bringing in boys who they consider to be well-rounded on academic scholarships, as they are perfectly entitled to do.

I'd also heard the news about IGS 15As #8 Tiaan Tauakipulu (younger brother of BBC 2013 captain Bronson, who will be lining up for Manu Samoa in the Brisbane 10s). Tiaan was recruited by St Kentigerns in Auckland who I suspect will develop him further than Ipswich's Eagle and Barker coaching combination could - hopefully he returns to Queensland afterwards.

Brisbane Grammar have also brought in a Cowboys signed playmaker to play #10. I've got a highlights package ready to release when he's fully confirmed - the kid is Quade Cooper reincarnate. I've never seen a passer so technically gifted at wide distribution.

With this flyhalf, Cowboys-signed Tom Gilbert at 13 and future star Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow at fullback, BGS' 2017 fate will rest on the forward pack. As team's have been proving for years now, a good 10, an x-factor or two and a hard working ensemble cast is all you need to outperform expectations.

I expect BGS will escape the bottle of the table, but it's tough to say by how much with he depth in the competition these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Interesting summary .
BBC will have same 1,3,4,5 and 8 as last year but the backline - that is anyones guess.
They had better figure out why since 2013 they have had a massive( abnormal )injury toll.
Last year was ridiculous- 8 players( 2 Aussie schoolboys plus 2 Qld reps) out for last 3 matches-something needs to change.Should ask BSHS and GT what their secret is.

Its obviously early days yet to ascertain with any certainty who will be genuine contenders for the 1st XV title in 2017. If BBC has that number of key forwards returning(5), then they will definitely be a dominant forward pack.
Key players I believe will impact the competition(based on G&G coverage from 2016 comp)this year and will definitely be in the mix for great honors (School Boys, no pressure lads. . .)will include the following:
  1. Nudgee College: Ethan Bullemor
  2. BBC :Hosea & Ngamanu
  3. GT :Wilson
  4. BSHS : Moses Alo-Emile & Jordan Petaia
  5. TSS: Campbell Parata & Lolesio
  6. IGS :Cooper Whitehead & Eugene Koorts

Schoolboy maestro

Frank Row (1)
Churchie should be strong contenders with:
Mj koula havili
Jp tominiko
Fin Hume
Tom Hughes
Jack slack
Fred fewtrell
Tristian stanghorn (AUS schoolboy)
Jack Robinson (original 3 but injured pre season)

All back in 2017. With their 16As placing 2nd in their competition with some of the best running rugby I've seen, there is plenty of class players that could make that step up. Also, with 7-8 players in the seconds back in 2017, a potential class squad. And with 2-3 new players in particular a class 10,7 and or 8/12, easy candidates to knock of any school in the camp. Churchie have been dark horses in previous years were they've revelated above (e.g 2015 everyone rid them off, ended premiers), so for those who think they know it all, just wait, this is GPS 1st XV footy, anything can happen

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
Has anyone got any insight into the upcoming 1st XV squads for TGS and IGS for this season?

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Churchie should be strong contenders with:
Mj koula havili
Jp tominiko
Fin Hume
Tom Hughes
Jack slack
Fred fewtrell
Tristian stanghorn (AUS schoolboy)
Jack Robinson (original 3 but injured pre season)

All back in 2017. With their 16As placing 2nd in their competition with some of the best running rugby I've seen, there is plenty of class players that could make that step up. Also, with 7-8 players in the seconds back in 2017, a potential class squad. And with 2-3 new players in particular a class 10,7 and or 8/12, easy candidates to knock of any school in the camp. Churchie have been dark horses in previous years were they've revelated above (e.g 2015 everyone rid them off, ended premiers), so for those who think they know it all, just wait, this is GPS 1st XV footy, anything can happen

And Churchie has a big new prop arriving in grade 11 on Monday.

also another boy at Nudgee-even I am starting to feel a bit of OTT>about number of new guys.

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
Is it any real surprise that the boys with the discipline and mental fortitude to run long distance or commit to swim training do well academically?

I'm sure BGS are bringing in boys who they consider to be well-rounded on academic scholarships, as they are perfectly entitled to do.

I'd also heard the news about IGS 15As #8 Tiaan Tauakipulu (younger brother of BBC 2013 captain Bronson, who will be lining up for Manu Samoa in the Brisbane 10s). Tiaan was recruited by St Kentigerns in Auckland who I suspect will develop him further than Ipswich's Eagle and Barker coaching combination could - hopefully he returns to Queensland afterwards.

Brisbane Grammar have also brought in a Cowboys signed playmaker to play #10. I've got a highlights package ready to release when he's fully confirmed - the kid is Quade Cooper reincarnate. I've never seen a passer so technically gifted at wide distribution.

With this flyhalf, Cowboys-signed Tom Gilbert at 13 and future star Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow at fullback, BGS' 2017 fate will rest on the forward pack. As team's have been proving for years now, a good 10, an x-factor or two and a hard working ensemble cast is all you need to outperform expectations.

I expect BGS will escape the bottle of the table, but it's tough to say by how much with he depth in the competition these days.

I have heard about the BGS 10, however my information is that he is an Australian Under 16 touch player and in fact in or has just been in NZ with the under 16 team. I don't think he is cowboys signed. BGS from my understanding have recognised his outstanding ability but are somewhat concerned about the adaptation to full contact. I could be wrong however this is my information.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I have heard about the BGS 10, however my information is that he is an Australian Under 16 touch player and in fact in or has just been in NZ with the under 16 team. I don't think he is cowboys signed. BGS from my understanding have recognised his outstanding ability but are somewhat concerned about the adaptation to full contact. I could be wrong however this is my information.

My info is from the horse's mouth. Or rather, two horses mouths.

Horse 1: "[The player] will be their number 10 - he's a good player, signed with cowboys and he'll be at BGS for 2 years if he takes the scholarship

Horse 2: "Yeah he's at the Cowboys with me, I recommended him to our coach"

Apparently a good kid and very humble. My favourite ingredients to mix in with a prodigious talent. I'm hearing that he's confirmed that he'll take up the scholarship but wants to tell his family first.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
My info is from the horse's mouth. Or rather, two horses mouths.

Horse 1: "[The player] will be their number 10 - he's a good player, signed with cowboys and he'll be at BGS for 2 years if he takes the scholarship

Horse 2: "Yeah he's at the Cowboys with me, I recommended him to our coach"

Apparently a good kid and very humble. My favourite ingredients to mix in with a prodigious talent. I'm hearing that he's confirmed that he'll take up the scholarship but wants to tell his family first.

King,

Nice to hear about the resolute achievement and selection from some when he hasn't even showed up yet. No matter how much Grammar is on the re-build, surely that won;t happen.

When will the people running these schools learn that respect is to be earned and skill that is first proven is only then to be rewarded. Not only that spirit and team is as valuable as skill and a locker booked beside Anthony Milford at Red Hill.

Here is hoping that the school that picks a team that bleeds for the school, rather than blots ink on an NRL contract shows the power of passion and dreams.

And I don't care who that school is, but they will have my support.

Lets make the GPS great again!

Status
Not open for further replies.