• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hands Off Seven!

Bob McCowan (2)
I'll never understand the people against the Johnny come lately's.

Maybe it's the label that contributes. How about we call them the Will Genia or Quade Cooper come lately's? I wonder if that label would still conjure the same animosity.

You try tell me the Second XV inside centre at Churchie wouldn't benefit from training opposite Jayden Su'a four times a week for 25 weeks a year.

Likewise the BGS boys - try tell me with a straight face that an up and coming League forward or two to train alongside wouldn't toughen up a few of the soft Grade 11 forwards that invariably end up populating the First XV.

For the boys who are left in the cold - like me, back in the day - injuries happen and if you're good enough you'll fight your way onto the bench.

It's school footy, not the presidential election.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without the Genia, Cooper and IMO Beale "come lately's" 2 Oz provinces would still be dreaming of that maiden Super Rugby win.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Without the Genia, Cooper and IMO Beale "come lately's" 2 Oz provinces would still be dreaming of that maiden Super Rugby win.

Genia started at BBC in year 7 behind his older brother-so was not a "Jonnie come lately".
I agree with KING.
It is never the boys' that complain-always a parent or disenfranchised old boy screaming about loss of "culture".
NC & TSS have been welcoming new Jonnies for over 15 years- so seem largely immune from this drama.
I hear there are lots of CEO types at Terrace complaining how their Billy is in the Bs because of a Jonnie -come-lately.
It will be interesting to see the what happens at TGS with the 6 new grade 11 boys.

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
Genia started at BBC in year 7 behind his older brother-so was not a "Jonnie come lately".
I agree with KING.
It is never the boys' that complain-always a parent or disenfranchised old boy screaming about loss of "culture".
NC & TSS have been welcoming new Jonnies for over 15 years- so seem largely immune from this drama.
I hear there are lots of CEO types at Terrace complaining how their Billy is in the Bs because of a Jonnie -come-lately.
It will be interesting to see the what happens at TGS with the 6 new grade 11 boys.

Seems to be quite a bit of discontent amongst the boys at TGS with 2 A Squad Players and possibly a third (U15 last year) indicating that they will not be pulling on the boots for TGS again. Also their seems to quite a few more new imports then 6 mentioned grade 11's. The imports have been told that they are not supposed to talk about the fact that they are on a rugby scholarship and as time goes on boys been boys cant help themselves, so they are been slowly found out. The count could be as high as 11 but can't confirm that. I don't think that morale is at a all time high at the moment, as at the first meeting of the newly named 1st squad at the end of last year the boys where threaten by their coach to the fact there where imports coming.
Not sure how well TGS has bought as the impression I am getting and I have also seen some of them play is that they are not setting the world on fire, as well as some of them having some pretty poor skill sets. This is only adding to the angst for the boys that were already there.
I guess time will tell how well this works out.

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
Seems to be quite a bit of discontent amongst the boys at TGS with 2 A Squad Players and possibly a third (U15 last year) indicating that they will not be pulling on the boots for TGS again. Also their seems to quite a few more new imports then 6 mentioned grade 11's. The imports have been told that they are not supposed to talk about the fact that they are on a rugby scholarship and as time goes on boys been boys cant help themselves, so they are been slowly found out. The count could be as high as 11 but can't confirm that. I don't think that morale is at a all time high at the moment, as at the first meeting of the newly named 1st squad at the end of last year the boys where threaten by their coach to the fact there where imports coming.
Not sure how well TGS has bought as the impression I am getting and I have also seen some of them play is that they are not setting the world on fire, as well as some of them having some pretty poor skill sets. This is only adding to the angst for the boys that were already there.
I guess time will tell how well this works out.

Very interesting, so I see the only way out is that Toowoomba Grammar plays the imports, irrespective of them being good or bad. Who ever selected those boys will be motivated by self preservation to make sure they are in the side. Am I incorrect on that view?

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
Very interesting, so I see the only way out is that Toowoomba Grammar plays the imports, irrespective of them being good or bad. Who ever selected those boys will be motivated by self preservation to make sure they are in the side. Am I incorrect on that view?

You would hope that is not going to be the case and selections are done on merit. But those running the Rugby Program need to justify there decision to import otherwise it reflects badly on them and they also want to see the flow of money keep rolling into the Rugby program for future funding of imports. (Rugby imports are funded out of the Rugby Program budget at TGS as far as I am aware). So taking these factors into consideration the path may be a little bit easier for these guys.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
I agree with KING.

I agree - up until 2002 TSS were the whipping boys - then along comes Jonnie - comes - lately and premierships;podium finishes, enrolments and $ $ follow.
And as do the Wallabies- Sharp,Rogers, Simmonds, Tapui,Lance,, Slipper etc etc

chips

Stan Wickham (3)
Have it on good accord that Tyrone Metusela-Suapaia in yr 11 at GT will not play GPS this year as the Sydney Roosters want him playing under 20 this year.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Have it on good accord that Tyrone Metusela-Suapaia in yr 11 at GT will not play GPS this year as the Sydney Roosters want him playing under 20 this year.

Great prospect but that does seem a tad of a stretch. I hope it's true but he wasn't named in the 23 and isn't on the club profiles for NYC. Where is this from??

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)

Interesting... I watched the Queensland Red tape from the National Sevens comp and Tyrone didn't stand out to me. Surely a player immediately destined for League U20s would have torn up on that stage, playing against cobbled together Lloyd McDermott teams etc.

I'm disinclined to believe this tip - how is he meant to complete Grade 11 when he's flying down to Sydney every week for an U20s match?

Speaking of which, the ARU have named their Commonwealth Games U18s Sevens squad - 2017 First XV reps Tom Gilbert, Joe Small and Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow were all named.

I was chatting to a player agent recently who tells me that the Cowboys rate Gilbert as a future NRL star. Cliches like "tough, hungry, lives and breathes contact" were used several times. Interestingly, some inside BGS don't agree and were stunned to hear he had signed a deal at all.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Pretty hard to argue with this though. Tyrone is on the right
Tyrone Metusela Roosters.jpg

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
2017 Australian Youth Boys Rugby Sevens Squad:

Jackson Pugh, WA
Lua Koiatu, WA
Luke Kapene, WA
Billy Smith, NSW
Jacob Styles, NSW
Kieren Mundine, NSW
Triston Reilly, NSW
Will Harrison, NSW
Matt Stead, NSW
Jonny Mitsias, NSW
Dominic Easy, NSW
Isaac Henry, QLD
Jeral Skelton, QLD
Shea Lalagavesi, QLD
Quinton Mahina, QLD
Sam Warner, QLD
Joe Small, QLD
Tom Gilbert QLD
Josh Vuta, QLD
Tiko Twist, QLD
Deon Evans, NSW
Blake Clayton, NSW
Jordan Williams, NSW
Darren Caulten, NT
Jangala Bennet, QLD
Hamiso Tabuai, QLD
Allan Tuigamala NSW
Tom Woodcock, NSW
Tom Haddad, ACT
Isaac Crowe, ACT
Mila (Milavinera) Lalatoa, VIC
Ratu (Sam) Tuibua, VIC
Haloti Fonua Jnr, VIC
Atunaisa Bosenavulagi, VIC
Lisiate Finau, NSW
Isaac Lucas, QLD
Rory Illman, SA

Coach: Hugh Carpenter, Australian Sevens

Silia Metusela

Frank Row (1)

I am Tyrone's mother and he is not playing under 20's for Roosters. He got selected for the under 18's SG Ball but declined their offer because his loyalty is with his school and team. He is not travelling down to Sydney every week, he is still here for school and doing trainings every morning getting ready for GPS season. #GoTerrace

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
2017 Australian Youth Boys Rugby Sevens Squad:

Jackson Pugh, WA

Lua Koiatu, WA

Luke Kapene, WA

Billy Smith, NSW

Jacob Styles, NSW

Kieren Mundine, NSW

Triston Reilly, NSW

Will Harrison, NSW

Matt Stead, NSW

Jonny Mitsias, NSW

Dominic Easy, NSW

Isaac Henry, QLD

Jeral Skelton, QLD

Shea Lalagavesi, QLD

Quinton Mahina, QLD

Sam Warner, QLD

Joe Small, QLD

Tom Gilbert QLD

Josh Vuta, QLD

Tiko Twist, QLD

Deon Evans, NSW

Blake Clayton, NSW

Jordan Williams, NSW

Darren Caulten, NT

Jangala Bennet, QLD

Hamiso Tabuai, QLD

Allan Tuigamala NSW

Tom Woodcock, NSW

Tom Haddad, ACT

Isaac Crowe, ACT

Mila (Milavinera) Lalatoa, VIC

Ratu (Sam) Tuibua, VIC

Haloti Fonua Jnr, VIC

Atunaisa Bosenavulagi, VIC

Lisiate Finau, NSW

Isaac Lucas, QLD

Rory Illman, SA

Coach: Hugh Carpenter, Australian Sevens

That's one hell of a list when it's still missing a fair few good players. It is 7's isn't it????

MrFootyLegend123

Stan Wickham (3)
I am Tyrone's mother and he is not playing under 20's for Roosters. He got selected for the under 18's SG Ball but declined their offer because his loyalty is with his school and team. He is not travelling down to Sydney every week, he is still here for school and doing trainings every morning getting ready for GPS season. #GoTerrace

Where are you getting the info from. I was certain he was playing under 20's for Roosters.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Where are you getting the info from. I was certain he was playing under 20's for Roosters.

MFL:Maybe where are you getting your "certain" info from mate? hahaha . . .just a light banter buddy.btw welcome to the forum... and gps schools are well into their 'open' training squads and I hear some new players emerging who will be exciting to watchout for. . . trials soon and then its bunker down before 1st XV squads are revealed for another exciting year of gps 1st XV rugby in 2017.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
With Tyrone & the Maafi(?) boy who transferred from BBC -plus a couple back from last year -it seems GT will have a star backline with -maybe- all but 9 and 10 being polynesians boys.I know 2 of them and fantastic boys.
Great for GT and comp for them to have a more multicultural team(with no boarding) .

I bet Red/Black and Red and Black do not make any posts like last year suggesting that some boys of PI heritage from other schools did not know the school war cry.
would that be right Mr Red /Black?

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
he is not playing NRL. He got selected for the under 18's SG Ball but declined their offer because his loyalty is with his school and team. he is still here for school and doing trainings every morning getting ready for GPS

Didn't they say the same thing about the star number 13 at BBC who just left by suggestion of the Broncos -so he could play SOO under 16 for Qld.?

Status
Not open for further replies.