• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeAnderson

Bob McCowan (2)
With Tyrone & the Maafi(?) boy who transferred from BBC -plus a couple back from last year -it seems GT will have a star backline with -maybe- all but 9 and 10 being polynesians boys.I know 2 of them and fantastic boys.
Great for GT and comp for them to have a more multicultural team(with no boarding) .

I bet Red/Black and Red and Black do not make any posts like last year suggesting that some boys of PI heritage from other schools did not know the school war cry.
would that be right Mr Red /Black?

Ralston will be pushing for state/national selection this year. Same goes for Ford-Stevens. Heaps of options in the GT backline this year I hear. You have forgotten about the 16A's GT fullback who played for qld in u15, Hartland. He is an option a 10 or 15. Great kick and step on the youngster. Also, the 12 from 16a's GT last year. Some fathers were saying he has been working hard and has put on 10kg in 4 months to be 95kg! Heaps of decisions for the terrace coaches to make.

Old Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Agreed there is a lot of talent for the coaches to work with. The 10 from the GT 16A last year must be favorite for the GT firsts this year given his appearances off the bench for the firsts last year. I assume Ralston will play 12 but 15 is still an option. The 12 from last years 16 A is a very big boy now. About 191 cm and 95 kgs. Has a great pass and a good footy mind. Whilst he in grade 12 he is still only 16 though.Tough selection decisions ahead. Tough first up match against Nudgee at Ross should be a beauty

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
REDS U/20's are looking extremely impressive, with their 3rd win in a row, and an absolutely dominant performance against the Waratahs 20's who I think were the only other undefeated team.
Great to see so many of our gps boys stepping up to this next level from school boys rugby last year.
In particular, I was very impressed with the young BSHS #8 Patrick Tafa really making a statement and being rewarded by Brad T. He has speed, power and definitely can hit hard in defense.
The other player who is catching my attention is big lock Angus Blyth of TSS.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
There is an alternative. Where dreams in year 8 and 9 are still firmly in your sights in year 11 and 12 if you're good enough. It's called AIC.

The squalor-ship system in GPS might be warped but it's not yet broken. Give it 2-3 years to see the real damage!
Not to inflame ....but to state the factual matter - On average ,circa 40% of young men selected to play Schoolboys in the last 2 or 3 years have been Brisbane GPS School boys . There were 1 or 2 AIC boys last year ( Sikmetti and Skelton I think ) but I don't believe the prior year had any AIC boys

That's 46 spots as I am also including Barbarians

News today is that 45% of the Australian U20 Squad just named are Brisbane GPS Schoolboys that aligns with the metric of recent Schoolboys representation

There is no AIC Schools representative in the Australian U20 ( that obviously covers 3 x uptakes )

Nick Frisby is the last AIC Schools representative playing Super / International Rugby. I am sure I will be corrected if this is incorrect.

Rightly or wrongly, by the numbers, Brisbane GPS Rugby has become the clear #1 Schoolboy Rugby competition in Australia

If it isn't , the Talent ID and pathway management system is wrong but I would point out that the QLD U20's are dominating all in front of them and from memory have performed strongly over the last couple of years

To add : There is some comparable talent across the current U16 and U15 AIC Age Groups but it is razer thin. In the U16 Age Group level it seems to me that over the last 12 months the cream of the crop have transferred to GPS Schools or are more aligned to a league pathway and so are quite happy in remaining where they are to finish their schooling. It's a little different in the age group below as the best Rugby / League kids are already at GPS Schools and will play the two bob each way bets right down to the wire ( read : play rugby schoolboys if selected and take up their spots in the Broncos , Titans , Cowboys or Storm U20 programs )

In short ....the numbers may go down slightly for Brisbane GPS Schools over the next 2 to 3 years - but I see them maintaining in a range of 30% to 40% . Sadly ( for AIC Schools ) I only see 1 or 2 ..or a few over the next few years. There isn't anything to suggest the pattern is set for a backflip.

Strong ( and growing - year on year ) representation out of Melbourne and WA is interesting as are the recent strong performances of U15 and U17 Western Australian Junior Gold Cup Teams

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
^
I have not been through the numbers out of Sydney ( seems to be floating around 25% to 33% with a better spread across AAGPS and CAS Schools )

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
Okay, no bickering or snipes (leave that up to the Wesleys of the world)

No argument with the relative strength of GPS comp. And no argument that a GPS laden under 20s did well against another GPS laden state on Saturday. Good on them and their coach. The big boys not so well v Lions with plenty of ex-GPS and at least three of your so called two bob each way reps falling to the Force, Crusaders and badly to the Lions in consecutive weeks.

But the % stats of GPS reps picked wasn't the point of previous post. It was about the AIC still keeping the dreams of year 8 and 9 boys alive in years 11 and 12 because there is not an influx of Fee (Gee) paying players in the years leading up to 1st XV selection. If anything, the migration of some AIC kids to GPS probably keeps the dream even more alive.

That aside, I am sure you wanted me to take you to task on a few of your erroneous perceptions of the talent in AIC. But I will leave that up to the boys to do on the field. Talent ID take note.....

The best are not all at GPS schools. Only the ones who refused an offer of a subsidised pathway. Yes, the numbers might be "razor thin" but the depth of u14 GPS rugby last year was arguably pretty thin too with a few players dominating 3 or 4 teams.

As to the pinnacle of u14 rugby last year - the BJRU GF game (full of AIC and GPS kids), if one side didn't have a League superstar (so good he gets picked in the u16 rep team), the other team with 8 AIC kids in the starting side including 5 in the starting pack wins by 30.

That's a factual matter too.:cool:

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
^Well no it isn't as it is not a proven fact. Only a "fact" based on your opinion which of course you are entitled to

I'm confused as to how the discussion moved to U14 Rugby from last year with a tangent into Club when no one was talking about this ....but I did state and state again that there is some good AIC talent here . There is no attack here. No " erroneous perceptions that I need to be taken to task on"

And in non school Rugby don't the Administrators regard the State Champs - City / Country games as their show piece ? The pinnacle ? ( as you put it )

But getting back on track you partially amplified the original thrust of your post re : "keeping the dream alive" which was understood

My response to your post - referencing the recent factual matter of what's happened over the last 2 to 3 years from Schoolboys to Senior Rep was more in that part of your post that quizzically referred to the "squalorship" of the GPS System and the imminent breakage , irreparable damage / diminishment of it in " 2 to 3 years"

And based on the numbers , that it is , the highest production point of higher honours in Schoolboy Rugby right now

It therefore is not outrageous to suggest it is the best schoolboy rugby competition in Australia

No one was talking about individual players ....no one was not acknowledging that there is any individual talent at AIC Schools

But to refer to the GPS System as "squalor" in a not so tricky play on words was absurd. But not quite as so as suggesting that it ( GPS Schools Rugby ) is toast in 2 to 3 years ( broken / real damage being evident )

The End

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
Ok, let's go back. The club reference was to compare the ability of boys in the current u15 age group, last season being a relatively good reference. You said and I need to quote "It's a little different in the age group below because the best rugby kids are already at GPS schools....."

The competitive pinnacle to get a good read on "best" would be the BJRU GF not the flogathon that is City v Country.

BUT, people (GPS people) were saying on this thread that the system is broken. All I did was say it isn't broken yet but wait 2-3 years. That is a personal view of the landscape I see, hear and read.

Your problem seems to be with anyone who has an opinion contrary to yours. Just because GO says it, does not mean it is so.

If all the "best" are in the GPS system, we have a problem Houston.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Firstly , if you are going to quote me , at least go to the trouble of doing it accurately

I said :

" It's a little different in the age group below as the best Rugby / League kids are already at GPS Schools and will play the two bob each way bets right down to the wire ( read : play rugby schoolboys if selected and take up their spots in the Broncos, Titans, Cowboys or Storm U20 programs" )

Clearly, I am talking about players that are across both Rugby and League.

Sure you don't want to change your handle to Blind Freddy ?

Or might Chip Shoulders be more appropriate ?

Secondly , State Champs isn't just the City - Country finale , the facts ( yes facts ) are is that you have circa 260 to 280 of the best kids from all over Queensland playing . The teams that make it through to the Finals , logically , represent the best culmination of talent . From that they pick City / Country Teams. The relevancy of which, for City based boys, is that it represents the combined best from the BJRU Comp that comprises both GPS and AIC Boys. Do they always get it right ? Probably not - but then its also a matter of opinion . To completely ignore a system of talent id and just proclaim that best is a BJRU Grand Final because it suits what you want to spin is pretty arrogant. And disrespectful. Not to me , mind you , but to the Administrators that run the programs /pathways . And to the boys that have earned their selection and been recognised.

Thirdly , I have zero problem with opinion that is contrary to mine. I suggest a mirror might be a good place for you to start in the re-consideration of that assertion. I welcome contrary opinion as it allows healthy debate , where parties don't have to agree but can espouse and maintain their positions in an intelligent and respectful manner.

Lastly , I did not say that all of the best are already in GPS Schools . Clearly, that is nonsense. What I did reference was the factual data of selection in Schoolboys /U20 programs over the last few years , and based off the undeniable element of this , assert that , it would not be out of place to call the Brisbane GPS Schools Rugby Competition is the best Schoolboy Rugby Competition in Australia. And yes , I did loop this back to your absurd reference to "squalor" and imminent breakage in your 2 to 3 year window ( which co-incidentally coincides with the maturity into opens of last year's U14's that you brought into the debate when no one was talking about that within the line of argument )

So why , Dear Prince , within "2 to 3 years" are we bound for the fires of hell in our dirty , grimy , filthy existence rooted in poverty and neglect ( some of the words borrowed from the definition of squalor )

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
Firstly , if you are going to quote me , at least go to the trouble of doing it accurately

I said :

" It's a little different in the age group below as the best Rugby / League kids are already at GPS Schools and will play the two bob each way bets right down to the wire ( read : play rugby schoolboys if selected and take up their spots in the Broncos, Titans, Cowboys or Storm U20 programs" )

Clearly, I am talking about players that are across both Rugby and League.

Sure you don't want to change your handle to Blind Freddy ?

Or might Chip Shoulders be more appropriate ?

Secondly , State Champs isn't just the City - Country finale , the facts ( yes facts ) are is that you have circa 260 to 280 of the best kids from all over Queensland playing . The teams that make it through to the Finals , logically , represent the best culmination of talent . From that they pick City / Country Teams. The relevancy of which, for City based boys, is that it represents the combined best from the BJRU Comp that comprises both GPS and AIC Boys. Do they always get it right ? Probably not - but then its also a matter of opinion . To completely ignore a system of talent id and just proclaim that best is a BJRU Grand Final because it suits what you want to spin is pretty arrogant. And disrespectful. Not to me , mind you , but to the Administrators that run the programs /pathways . And to the boys that have earned their selection and been recognised.

Thirdly , I have zero problem with opinion that is contrary to mine. I suggest a mirror might be a good place for you to start in the re-consideration of that assertion. I welcome contrary opinion as it allows healthy debate , where parties don't have to agree but can espouse and maintain their positions in an intelligent and respectful manner.

Lastly , I did not say that all of the best are already in GPS Schools . Clearly, that is nonsense. What I did reference was the factual data of selection in Schoolboys /U20 programs over the last few years , and based off the undeniable element of this , assert that , it would not be out of place to call the Brisbane GPS Schools Rugby Competition is the best Schoolboy Rugby Competition in Australia. And yes , I did loop this back to your absurd reference to "squalor" and imminent breakage in your 2 to 3 year window ( which co-incidentally coincides with the maturity into opens of last year's U14's that you brought into the debate when no one was talking about that within the line of argument )

So why , Dear Prince , within "2 to 3 years" are we bound for the fires of hell in our dirty , grimy , filthy existence rooted in poverty and neglect ( some of the words borrowed from the definition of squalor )
I don't think the reply needed to be so long winded, if you count the number of players from both teams in the final ,GPS surely had more!?.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Nudgee , GT , IGS and BBC have all added significant new talent ..........to their U15 and U16/Opens programs this year . Even Brisbane Grammar have. We know TGS have - which sent our mate , Realist, reeling ( I understand where he's coming from incidentally and why he feels the way he does ) TSS last year in their U15's. Some from AIC , some from league playing States in mid to outer suburban areas , some from Regional Areas that were identified through State Champs or Junior Gold Cup . Some from other Countries ( PNG )

Whatever happened in an U14 Grand Final a year ago and who had more GPS Boys or more AIC Boys and who was responsible for what and if we just remove that guy we win by 30 ....or other such stuff , is , completely irrelevant

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Looking for this all of a sudden Lute ?
picture_746.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.