• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
After watching the last 5 years closely since my boy is in this grade, I believe the GPS teams will look like this. I am a Churchie old boy so I’m trying to not be to bias.
GPS 1 & 2.

GPS 1 Team:
1. Eugene Koorts (IGS)
2. Ethan Dobbins (GT)
3. Moses Alo Emile (BSHS)
4. Trevor Hosea (BBC)
5. Harry Wilson (GT)
6. Ethan B. (NC)
7. Joe Small (NC)
8. Cullen Ngamanu (BBC)
9. Phoenix Hunt (NC)
10. Campbell P. (TSS) or Cooper Whiteside (IGS)
11. Jordan P. (BSHS)
12. Noah L. (TSS)
13. Hoani Ford—Stevens (GT)
14. Koen Dovey (TSS, C - Offers plenty of good chat)
15. Byron Ralston (GT)

GPS 2 Team:
1. Prynce (BBC)
2. Rhys V. (BBC)
3. Egan S. (TSS)
4. MJ. (ACGS)
5. Xavier V. (BBC)
6. Kibble (BBC)
7. Will Roach (GT)
8. Reno (TSS)
9. Will Kirk (GT)
10. Campbell P. (TSS) or Cooper Whiteside (IGS)
11. Johnson Oyelodi (GT)
12. Thomas Gilbert (BGS, C - His actions hill lead the fellas around the park)
13. Tyrone M. (GT)
14. Jarred (BSHS)
15. Maxwell Dowd (TSS)

Strong outsiders:

NC - Blackmore
ACGS - Fin Hume, Chugga, Tina
BBC - Decky, Tom Watermelon
GT - Cam Howard
BSHS - Nesta
TSS - Jim Chapman
TGS - Nathan Carol
BGS - Nick Whipped
IGS - Ranga FB

What are your predictions?

Wow - you know your stuff
The word I got was the TSS 12, BBC 8 ,ACGS 4 and NC 6 were some of the stand out players .

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
When is the GPS squad announced??

I am hearing that the GPS selection process has changed from recent years. There is no short listing of names for a second round (where six composite teams played). Rather, all school teams will have another three way round robin of games within next week or two and then final GPS teams will be announced.

Have not heard where or when this will occur.

Jo Staples

Frank Row (1)
BBC have a trials against Brisbane State High Friday 26th May
Wests Bulldogs Rugby Club
Sylvan Road Toowong.
2nds KO 6.30pm
1sts KO 7.30pm

Attachments

• 18589130_1332189536862362_5818317006566387229_o.jpg
    18589130_1332189536862362_5818317006566387229_o.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 296

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
It is my intention at this stage, to travel to Toowoomba to watch TSS this Sunday. I will provide report when I return Sunday evening.

alistair coughlan

Frank Row (1)
I believe Tristian has broken his shoulder so is out for a long period of time.
Also Cam howard was on Gt bench, however he did have a strong performance on the weekend, so wouldn't be surprised to see him in there somewhere.
Cam Howard is a brilliant footballer.
Very strong and very quick
Great football brain
One wonders why he is not in the GT run on side.
Politics perhaps. Maybe just trying to focus him.
Never healthy to have a parent who had a son just
recently through the school as the assistant coach.
Bad move.
If he does not make the run on side in the first game
I would be flabbergasted

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Cam Howard is a brilliant footballer.
Very strong and very quick
Great football brain
One wonders why he is not in the GT run on side.
Politics perhaps. Maybe just trying to focus him.
Never healthy to have a parent who had a son just
recently through the school as the assistant coach.
Bad move.
If he does not make the run on side in the first game
I would be flabbergasted

Calm down Alistair. You obviously did not see the trials on Saturday. The people I was watching the trial games with on Saturday were surprised when Howard didn't run on against us.

However it appeared the Terrace coaches were still trialling players and positions and Howard came on after 15 minutes or so and it seemed he got substantial game time. More so than the starting backrowers. Terrace needed him as smaller back row was getting belted around by Churchie until he came on. I had Howard picked in my GPS 1 side a month or so ago and saw nothing that would change that.

Extremely poor though having a crack at the Assistant Coach. He is a guy of absolute integrity. He didn't go into that role until after his son finished school so there would probably be no such questions you have raised. And I do not believe there should be any question like this.

I just think that like Nudgee there is an abundance of very good loose forwards at the school. The coaches saw Howard playing for them last year and know what he has to offer and I think it was first game so maybe just looking at others.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
BBC have a trials against Brisbane State High Friday 26th May
Wests Bulldogs Rugby Club
Sylvan Road Toowong.
2nds KO 6.30pm
1sts KO 7.30pm

I hear they are playing for the Carozza cup( Paul went to BSHS and coached at BBC) - which is a nice touch by Wests

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
After watching the last 5 years closely since my boy is in this grade, I believe the GPS teams will look like this.

Way to get the ball rolling!

One thing to consider is how many of these boys have Rugby League contracts that prohibit / exclude them from selection.

Trevor Hosea, Ethan Bullemor, Hoani Ford-Stevens, Reno Gerrard, Tom Gilbert and Max Dowd are all professional athletes, as are Bailey Tautau (NC) and Daejarn Asi (BGS). I wouldn't count on them sticking their hands up for Queensland Schoolboys jerseys - what they gain from selection is outweighed by risk of injury.

Some of the names I rate highly that missed out on your teams include: Tom van der Schyff (TSS), Wolfgang Wallace (IGS), Mitch Wood (NC), JP Tominiko (ACGS), Clinton Malolua, Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (BGS), Isaiah Naawi (NC), Mosiah Christian (BSHS) and Harrison Cannon (NC).

As for BBC boys Xavier Vela-Tupuhi and Jack Kibble, I was under the impression they had graduated? I'm certain I've spotted both playing Colts at Wests this year

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Trevor Hosea, Ethan Bullemor, Hoani Ford-Stevens, Reno Gerrard, Tom Gilbert and Max Dowd are all professional athletes, as are Bailey Tautau (NC) and Daejarn Asi (BGS). I wouldn't count on them sticking their hands up for Queensland Schoolboys jerseys - what they gain from selection is outweighed by risk of injury.
King,
Are you saying these boys are under contract to a league or union franchise?
Ethan, Hoani, Bailey & Daejarn are league boys and T Hosea is alleged to have signed with Melbourne REBELS.
That is an interesting scenario. Lots of talent there.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
SOLE, I should have clarified - Hosea is on a Rebels contract but the remainder are signed with either the Cowboys (Asi, Gilbert); Titans (Dowd, Gerrard) and Broncos (Bullemor, Stevens, Tautau)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Locke

Bob McCowan (2)
Some of the names I rate highly that missed out on your teams include: Tom van der Schyff (TSS), Wolfgang Wallace (IGS), Mitch Wood (NC), JP Tominiko (ACGS), Clinton Malolua, Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (BGS), Isaiah Naawi (NC), Mosiah Christian (BSHS) and Harrison Cannon (NC).

Interesting selection, particularly given that Wood still recovering from injury and Naawi no longer in the Fist XV squad at Nudgee. On that though, a large number of imports coming into the Nudgee first XV, with new flyhalf Reesjan from WA one to look out for in the coming years. He is only in grade 10 and his passing and kicking game is highly rated. Definite QLD and potentially AUS schoolboy talent.

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
Way to get the ball rolling!

One thing to consider is how many of these boys have Rugby League contracts that prohibit / exclude them from selection.

As for BBC boys Xavier Vela-Tupuhi and Jack Kibble, I was under the impression they had graduated? I'm certain I've spotted both playing Colts at Wests this year

Good points as usual King.
The Rebels medical team blocked Hosea from trials last year.
Xavier & Kibble are at BBC.
You saw the older Kibble and an almost identical mate of Xavier's(played 6 last year) at Wests.
Good to see Wests Prem colts on top of ladder with many GPS schools having boys in the team.
As is normal -many boys who played 2nds at school are now in prem colts ahead of 1st xv boys(Phil Kearns like)

The real Wally

Frank Nicholson (4)
Agree Digby, there will be a number of talented boys playing seconds this season because of politics or their face just does not fit and the coaching staff don't rate them. There will always be boys that are late bloomers and will do well in rugby when given a chance at club level. It is a shame that some of the boys playing in the seconds will not get a chance to be part of the 1sts environment regardless of how well they play.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Interesting selection, particularly given that Wood still recovering from injury and Naawi no longer in the Fist XV squad at Nudgee.

Sad for Wood if that's true. I think he's in for a very big year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Naawi was the fastest ever U16 100m runner to pass through Nudgee's halls. If he's pipping James O'Connor, Shipperley, Joe Tomane and Willie Malala at that age then I'd be surprised there's no spot for him the squad? Especially since he represented Queensland in Rugby Sevens.

He ran 11.14 in December which was only a few milliseconds off Will Eadie's pace at the GPS meet last year.

Speaking of which, Naawi ran a tidy 22.36 in the 200m. Mitch Wood ran a 22.87! Unbelievable. He might well be the second coming of Corey Oates. He's certainly looking like the next Jack Cornelsen

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
T
Sad for Wood if that's true. I think he's in for a very big year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Naawi was the fastest ever U16 100m runner to pass through Nudgee's halls. If he's pipping James O'Connor, Shipperley, Joe Tomane and Willie Malala at that age then I'd be surprised there's no spot for him the squad? Especially since he represented Queensland in Rugby Sevens.

He ran 11.14 in December which was only a few milliseconds off Will Eadie's pace at the GPS meet last year.

Speaking of which, Naawi ran a tidy 22.36 in the 200m. Mitch Wood ran a 22.87! Unbelievable. He might well be the second coming of Corey Oates. He's certainly looking like the next Jack Cornelsen

How is 10.8 for the new winger (Stevens )at BBC.
That was 2nd in the state last year -problem is- Maloney (who won 100/200/400 at GPS & Qld) is also at BBC -but does not play rugby!!
QAS -said "no way" he is allowed to play..

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
SOLE, I should have clarified - Hosea is on a Rebels contract but the remainder are signed with either the Cowboys (Asi, Gilbert); Titans (Dowd, Gerrard) and Broncos (Bullemor, Stevens, Tautau)

King, it surprises me so many of the boys are under contract, especially with the NRL clubs. The pathway for NRL clubs changes significantly next year with the ending of the u20 NRL comp. One of the primary reasons for this was the high rate of suicides amongst the junior ranks of the NRL.

By dismantling this comp I believed it was to take pressure off the younger talent allow them to develop and mature with a clear pathway through the NSW and Qld based competitions.

I know clubs love to snap up and warehouse talent but it seems as though these changes by the NRL has not seen change at club level.

In addition, I thought that also a couple of years ago the NRL was banning signing players until they were at least 18 but have never seen this confirmed in the media.

If what you say is true about NRL clubs banning or actively discouraging schoolboys from playing at the highest level amongst their peers it would be incredibly disappointing after these Club performance pressures have been identified.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
T

How is 10.8 for the new winger (Stevens )at BBC.
That was 2nd in the state last year -problem is- Maloney (who won 100/200/400 at GPS & Qld) is also at BBC -but does not play rugby!!
QAS -said "no way" he is allowed to play..

He showed blinding speed at trials on weekend. I saw him score a couple of tries and made the opposition look very pedestrian trying to match his speed. As exciting as Will Eadie was last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.