• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
B& W,
I agree with your views of BBC vs BSHS:
  • 16 A's BSHS look the goods. Did a good touch up on BBC whom I thought would be a lot stronger in the 16's. Might not be a doom and gloom situation with their 1st XV suffering a number of critical injuries in backs. 10 for BSHS was fantastic. 15 also looks handy.

Re under 16s
On my calculations there were 11 players missing from BBC 16A on Saturday- 7 in 1st xv starting team(all but 1 in backline) & 4 on the bench who came on that were missing from BBC 16 team.
So there will be a few coming back.

alistair coughlan

Frank Row (1)
Watched the 2nd XV and the 1st XV.

GT had the better of the seconds and looked to have a clear edge. No 10 and 13 positions were standouts as were the loose forwards.

The 1st XV game was closer than I thought it would be, at least initially.
13-7 at half time and Churchie had some missed opportunities.

No 5 for Churchie was outstanding. Big and strong. The standout for GT forwards was the number 8. Not big but fantastic scrounger. Wilson (4) tried hard but lacked someone to put him in a half break.

Both backlines were strong in defence. Gt 12 was rock solid. Credit to Churchie backs who tackled like demons.

Gt wingers looked good with ball in hand but surprisingly the ball never reached them too often. Seemed to flow better late in the second half after replacements made.

Churchie will be very competitive this year but will struggle to finish top 4.
GT are a great defensive team but will they score enough points to be up there at the end.
Early days yet

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
Traveled up to Toowoomba to watch TSS and saw 15's, 16's and most of the First XV.

Firsts - TSS dominated, they look terrific the 15 was outstanding, just a joy to watch. TSS forward pack was first class and the really went to town on TGS. I realise it was only a trial but TGS I think are going to be a little outclassed this season. I do however like their 12. He was a standout for me.

16's - A more balanced game, not sure what the score was however I didnt think their was much in it, I had my eye on the seconds for some of this game also. TGS 16's have a big outside back number 23 on the day, and when I say big I mean prop big however he can run like the wind , they switched him between 13 and wing.TGS forwards were lacking but their backs had some skills out wide. TSS were well drilled the tall blond headed breakaway was a stand out for me. Their backs have some class.

15's - TGS dominated from the start. TSS have a very handy second rower the captain, also a red headed breakaway. TGS absolutely dominated the first half of the game, and they then basically changed their side and it was a little more balanced after that. The TGS backline was impressive, the 9 , 10, 12, 13 are all very talented and they benched them for the second half. The two forward packs were on par with each other.

Just to add to that
TGS firsts did make a comeback about half way through the second half, it look as though they decided to throw the game plan out the widow, a few of the backs started to play what was in front of them with great effect and had TSS on the back foot there for a while. But agree TSS was all class, I think TGS will be in for a long season unless they change their approach to playing with such a structured game plan. TGS 10 seemed to be struggling a bit and not having a good day which may not of helped things.

Agree with you on the 15's, there was a new import there that played in the second half in the back line, the big kid.

The 16's for TGS will be interesting to watch. They had 7 U16 imports they gave a run to yesterday, another 2 played in the firsts. I think they are close to settling on their forwards but I think the backs are still a big unknown. They tried multiple combinations yesterday and are probably none the wiser. A few of the backs from last year put their hand up and I think will be putting pressure on the imports which is what it is all about. What ever happens could be a team to watch if they get their selections right.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Firsts - TSS dominated, they look terrific the 15 was outstanding, just a joy to watch. TSS forward pack was first class and the really went to town on TGS. I realise it was only a trial but TGS I think are going to be a little outclassed this season. I do however like their 12. He was a standout for me

Thank God the 13 for TSS is not there any more OR I would be getting a little worried.
Their depth is getting ridiculous-their 2nd xv will be as strong as a lot of 1st xvs.
But what else is new.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
The 16's for TGS will be interesting to watch. They had 7 U16 imports they gave a run to yesterday, another 2 played in the firsts. I think they are close to settling on their forwards but I think the backs are still a big unknown. They tried multiple combinations yesterday and are probably none the wiser. A few of the backs from last year put their hand up and I think will be putting pressure on the imports which is what it is all about. What ever happens could be a team to watch if they get their selections right.[/quote]

Wow that many new boys in grade 11 usually ruffles some feathers of long time boys at a school(speaking from experience)

Greg Adams

Frank Nicholson (4)
So the First XV and some of the 2nd XV will then back up the next day for the GPS trials?
My understanding is that this is the 2nd GPS trail, BBC are also playing against BGS and BSHS, assume that the other schools are doing a 3 way game as as well , all at seperate locations.

2nd GPS trial that was schedule at Ballymore has been canceled due the the QRU not wanting their fields used is what I'm hearing

The real Wally

Frank Nicholson (4)
From watching the Churchie Vs GT game on Saturday I think that the Churchie backline are going to have to defend very well because they looked to have little in attack. The forwards for Churchie did all the hard work and the backline lacked direction and creativity. Crash ball all the time. The wingers in the first half did not touch the ball for Churchie. Score line might be a little flattering because Churchie ran on something like 8 fresh reserves whereas GT had all reserves play in the 2nds game.
The 10 for GT in the 1sts was solid until injured.
Wilson for GT has great hands and tried hard all game.
GT looked solid and well drilled in 1sts and 2nds.
The starting pack for Churchie in the 2nds dominated the lineouts in the first half.

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
The 16's for TGS will be interesting to watch. They had 7 U16 imports they gave a run to yesterday, another 2 played in the firsts. I think they are close to settling on their forwards but I think the backs are still a big unknown. They tried multiple combinations yesterday and are probably none the wiser. A few of the backs from last year put their hand up and I think will be putting pressure on the imports which is what it is all about. What ever happens could be a team to watch if they get their selections right.

Wow that many new boys in grade 11 usually ruffles some feathers of long time boys at a school(speaking from experience)[/quote]

Don't worry it has ruffled plenty of feathers. The boys and parents are angry with the school not with the new boys, it's not their fault they just took an opportunity that was put to them.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
My understanding is that this is the 2nd GPS trail, BBC are also playing against BGS and BSHS, assume that the other schools are doing a 3 way game as as well , all at seperate locations.

2nd GPS trial that was schedule at Ballymore has been canceled due the the QRU not wanting their fields used is what I'm hearing

Please see below for the 2nd GPS trials between BBC, BSHS & BGS :

The games schedule will be:

2nd XV (2 x 20 min)
6.30 – 7.15 (BGS vs BSHS)

1st XV – GPS Trials (3 x 30 min, 5 min breaks):
  • 7.20 – 7.50 (BSHS Vs BBC)
  • 7.55 – 8. 25 (BSHS vs BGS)
  • 8.30 – 9.00 (BBC vs BGS)

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
B& W,
I agree with your views of BBC vs BSHS:
  • 15A's. The 10, 13 & 15 look absolutely brilliant in attack. BSHS look a distant memory from the last years dominant pack and backline. BBC definitely my pick for this age group and 2017-2018 looks very bright for BBC.
  • 16 A's BSHS look the goods. Did a good touch up on BBC whom I thought would be a lot stronger in the 16's. Might not be a doom and gloom situation with their 1st XV suffering a number of critical injuries in backs. 10 for BSHS was fantastic. 15 also looks handy.

Re : 15's ....IGS are being seriously underestimated . They have genuine quality across the board and are deep

High will be back as well . Don't read too much into weekend's result

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
@ The Queen

I am assuming your query was about Opens ........

If it is , my answer is I am not sure , other than , I am expecting BGS to be a lot more competitive this year and I think they are really going to be the surprise of this year's competition

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
GO,

U15's:
  • I agree with you too early to call season proper form and outcome.
  • BSH had at least 6 regulars from last year missing
  • IGS is definitely in the mix as potential winners. IGS wil be in top 4
1st XV:
  • BGS is also my pick (from 1st gps trials at TSS) as most improved(MI)
  • Friday night game(s) for BSHS will test their depth if they can at least stay with my top 4 (NC, TSS, BBC & GT)

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
Under 15's,One unassuming bloke should be given some recognition, either last year or this year he has coached no fewer then 13 players selected in the Met West/MetNth teams at club level

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
GO,

U15's:
  • I agree with you too early to call season proper form and outcome.
  • BSH had at least 6 regulars from last year missing
  • IGS is definitely in the mix as potential winners. IGS wil be in top 4
1st XV:
  • BGS is also my pick (from 1st gps trials at TSS) as most improved(MI)
  • Friday night game(s) for BSHS will test their depth if they can at least stay with my top 4 (NC, TSS, BBC & GT)

I don't buy the High had 6 x starters out argument . BBC had 3 guys out who will likely start ( 2 x State League Reps and a Met West Rugby Rep) and another guy out who is new this year who will come close to winning a spot . A couple of guys were also sat at half time to have a look at some others ....so BBC were nowhere near full throttle

I will however buy that High have just commenced their season Prep and BBC have been going for a month

I will also buy that High are better than what they showed and will be on their game come the regular season

NB : IGS will finish 1 or 2 - definitely no lower than 2

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
I don't buy the High had 6 x starters out argument . BBC had 3 guys out who will likely start ( 2 x State League Reps and a Met West Rugby Rep) and another guy out who is new this year who will come close to winning a spot . A couple of guys were also sat at half time to have a look at some others ..so BBC were nowhere near full throttle

I will however buy that High have just commenced their season Prep and BBC have been going for a month

I will also buy that High are better than what they showed and will be on their game come the regular season

NB : IGS will finish 1 or 2 - definitely no lower than 2

Have IGS had any additions or subtractions from last seasons 14 A side?

Status
Not open for further replies.