• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
I also believe that bringing them in early raises the standard of the fee paying boys and gives them an opportunity to develop and compete over the coming years.

Cheers

Not to mention the opportunity to rise to the occasion and fight for their place in the 'A' team - much harder when they bring a boy into your position for 1 year in grade 12.

There were quite a few 'new' boys at GT (and BBC too I think) in the 13's and 12's that found themselves in the B's due to other not so well known boys stepping up.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This chat should be moved to the scholarship thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Moving on, then...

2016 was widely considered a less talented year than in previous years, but it feels like the signings have increased.

TGS lock Matt Willshire signed with the Chiefs/Taranaki

Len Ikitau signed with the Brumbies

Semisi Tupou signed with the Rebels

Dechlan Day and Augustus Rangihuna are on the cusp of Storm deals

Willie Malala is a Gold Coast Titan

TGS' other lock, Richard Clift, got signed by the Melbourne Rebels U20s

Fraser McReight became the youngest ever Reds U20s signing at 16 years, 9 months.

BSHS lock/blindside Josh Fenner signed with the Leiscester Tigers in England

Murray Taulagi signed a huge one-year deal with the Cowboys

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
I think the private schools should be offering 'educational opportunities' to kids with talents that compliment the schools culture whether that be rugby, swimming, debating, chess, music or whatever.

Bringing kids in up until grade 10 is a good thing for all concerned IMO - after that, it is much more a case be case thing and less likely to be in the best interest of all involved.

I agree
Being arguing ( unsuccessfully) fir this at TSS for several years.
This year was same as always . under 11 to 14 regularly get thrashed by 50'.
New boys start in grade 10 and the 15 As are suddenly good and the 16As and 2nds are virtually unbeatable.
Start earlier I say .

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Nudgee have a new Outside Centre in the 15's this year that has come down from Rockhampton, I think he starts next year, I only know his nickname as "Chicken" and from what I have seen he appears to be something very very special.

Wow that is 3 new kids at Nudgee already . They will be very very good in 2017.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I thought the 14A's at TSS were good this year. Played a good structure and pushed a few teams.
They do need a few front rowers though as going uncontested a lot didn't help.

John Locke

Bob McCowan (2)
Just to clear a few things up on the thread,
To the best of my knowledge, Tom Jeffries has graduated and will not be returning to play 1st XV next year. Also regarding Nudgee, a cousin of Gavin and Harry Luka is coming to school and is expected to play in the centres. Not sure if this is "chicken" from Rocky, but I am fairly certain that this person lives in NZ.
Also interesting is that all the TSS backline, other than the 9 is returning next year and TSS won the 16A's last season. Should be in for an interesting year. At the moment, I can't really see anyone but TSS, NC, GT and BSHS winning the premiership.

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
I think the "parachute play" in grade 11/12 is wrong but unfortunately unavoidable, earlier is better, only because they wear their school blazers more proudly. However in my humble opinion, ultimately there is no real loser in rugby scholarships anyway, the school wins because it deepens their rugby program, the kids win because as most know playing with better players makes you better either on your side or the opposition. The scholarship player wins because it potentially gives a young man an opportunity that he may not have already been able to secure under his current circumstances in both education and sport (more importantly the former). Therefore when you bundle all those together rugby wins. So anyone who whinges about it obviously inwardly questions their own or their school's own ability to match it against them either on the field or in the coaching contest. Its life, survival of the fittest, get on and play/coach against it, because you will be better for it.

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
Chicken is under 15 next year, in the centres and is from Rocky. Sorry I don't know his name yet, however will revert accordingly. Can play!

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Moving on, then.

2016 was widely considered a less talented year than in previous years, but it feels like the signings have increased.

TGS lock Matt Willshire signed with the Chiefs/Taranaki

Len Ikitau signed with the Brumbies

Semisi Tupou signed with the Rebels

Dechlan Day and Augustus Rangihuna are on the cusp of Storm deals

Willie Malala is a Gold Coast Titan

TGS' other lock, Richard Clift, got signed by the Melbourne Rebels U20s

Fraser McReight became the youngest ever Reds U20s signing at 16 years, 9 months.

BSHS lock/blindside Josh Fenner signed with the Leiscester Tigers in England

Murray Taulagi signed a huge one-year deal with the Cowboys

So the Reds got 1 out of 9.

Pretty poor effort from them.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
So the Reds got 1 out of 9.

Pretty poor effort from them.

I thought Will Eadie also signed with the REDS?
According to the REDS web page. "In addition to the senior squad, Queensland Rugby has also signed a further nine development players to ensure the future success of the Reds. The Reds development squad includes 2016 Queensland/Australian Under 20 forwards Angus Scott-Young and Harry Hocking, Queensland Under 20s prop Harry Hoopert as well as promising young outside backs Tom Banks and Will Eadie."

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
2/10 *

Plus losing Banks and Mason to the Brumbies and Tahs.

Sounds like the big signings have come at a cost to young talent.

Just hope that it doesn't work out like the 2007 class where James O'Connor, Matt To'omua etc head elsewhere and become core Wallabies.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think the "parachute play" in grade 11/12 is wrong but unfortunately unavoidable, earlier is better, only because they wear their school blazers more proudly. However in my humble opinion, ultimately there is no real loser in rugby scholarships anyway, the school wins because it deepens their rugby program, the kids win because as most know playing with better players makes you better either on your side or the opposition. The scholarship player wins because it potentially gives a young man an opportunity that he may not have already been able to secure under his current circumstances in both education and sport (more importantly the former). Therefore when you bundle all those together rugby wins. So anyone who whinges about it obviously inwardly questions their own or their school's own ability to match it against them either on the field or in the coaching contest. Its life, survival of the fittest, get on and play/coach against it, because you will be better for it.

well said 100% agree

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Nudgee's Tom Jeffries has just signed with the North Melbourne Kangaroos. Pretty left field!

I really rated him. Defensive lineout and tackling was simply elite.

Just thinking of all the 200cm plus players in the comp - Hosea, Blyth, Jeffries, Willshire, maybe Havili from Churchie? He'd definitely be around there.

Queensland Rugby have secured zero, while other teams have picked up three

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I was at Ballymore yesterday, and there was a lot of activity going on. REDS super rugby squad train, The 7's teams(2 women &2 men) training, BUT what caught my eye was the REDS U/20' pre season training with mainly the school leavers from this yr's gps & austraian school boys/baa baas. Here are some familiar names I recognised:
  1. Matthew Wilshire, Toowoomba Grammar School
  2. Laurence Tominiko, Keebra Park State High School
  3. Fraser McReight,Brisbane Grammar School
  4. Isaac Lucas, St Joseph's, Gregory Terrace
  5. William Eadie, St Joseph's, Gregory Terrace (with main S squad)
  6. Matthew Faessler, Toowoomba Grammar School (Baa Baas captain).
  7. Ratu Niumataiwalu (Ipswich Grammar School) (combined States)
  8. Lloyd Gorman, Brisbane State High School
  9. Harry Wilson, St Joseph's, Gregory Terrace
  10. Jordan Petaia, Brisbane State High School (Baa Baas)
Others were from last years school boys :
I was pleasantly surprised with a large number of our elite qld schoolboys rugby reps been retained in the REDS academy.
Jordan Petaia the 16 yr old from BSHS did not look out of place and obviously the REDS have him earmarked. . .lets hope we sign many of these boys into the main squad before we lose them to other franchises

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I was at Ballymore yesterday, and there was a lot of activity going on. REDS super rugby squad train, The 7's teams(2 women &2 men) training, BUT what caught my eye was the REDS U/20' pre season training with mainly the school leavers from this yr's gps & austraian school boys/baa baas. Here are some familiar names I recognised:
  1. Matthew Wilshire, Toowoomba Grammar School

1. Are you sure? He's told me personally that he's signed with the Chiefs and Taranaki for 2017-2018.

Would be odd that the Reds are wasting a training spot on him if he's shipping out soon.

Could it be a mistaken identity?

Status
Not open for further replies.