• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
B in law rang me from Toowong : He said "BBC beat Downlands 36-22. Not sure how many of the 1sts were out ; but it was average"

WaltBrisney

Peter Burge (5)
To be fair, the Downlands V BBC game was a pretty good contest. By my reckoning, BBC were missing a winger and 3 forwards who would usually be in their 1st XV. Downlands took it to them and led at one stage in the second half. They used their big forwards well and had some sharp backs. Their 7 was the best on the field by a bit. BBC inside backs were under pressure from Downlands good line speed but, apart from a couple of handling errors, they kept their composure. BBC fullback was very dangerous and 10 showed some glimpses of brilliance and is surprisingly physical. Downlands scrum applied pressure early but BBC seemed to settle as the game wore on. A couple of tries down the left wing sealed it in the end.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Anyone know the score of the Downlands v BBC U15 As? Downlands have a very handy team there.
Downlands v BBS u15A or really an u15B+ game

Downlands had 10 players out playing for Darling Downs (schools State Champs), BBC had 5 at State Champs and another 2 injured or away. BBC backline with only 3 from last weeks win over IGS and none were in the same position.

Good chance for others to have a run.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
But let's not under value the actual B game between Downlands and BBC with this monster run from the Downlands no.8

bigdadda

Frank Row (1)
But let's not under value the actual B game between Downlands and BBC with this monster run from the Downlands no.8

All that good work then looses it at the end means and we know your his dad and all but let's be real is the under 15 B's and I mean it's not ball room dancing look how those blokes are trying to tackle him

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
To be fair, the Downlands V BBC game was a pretty good contest. By my reckoning, BBC were missing a winger and 3 forwards who would usually be in their 1st XV. Downlands took it to them and led at one stage in the second half. They used their big forwards well and had some sharp backs. Their 7 was the best on the field by a bit. BBC inside backs were under pressure from Downlands good line speed but, apart from a couple of handling errors, they kept their composure. BBC fullback was very dangerous and 10 showed some glimpses of brilliance and is surprisingly physical. Downlands scrum applied pressure early but BBC seemed to settle as the game wore on. A couple of tries down the left wing sealed it in the end.

I agree the Downlands 7 and captain was best on ground by a mile .What an inspiration.
BBC fullback is only grade 10
Other than that i thought BBC looked disjointed and disinterested .

Eyescream

Bob McCowan (2)
Downlands should shine, I mean come on, no GPS school side are going to play a full strength side against Downlands, it's the ideal time to rest your A squad and blood your fringe players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
"Other than that i thought BBC looked disjointed and disinterested ".
That sums up the attitude and value placed on the Downlands fixtures, for ALL gps schools who have a 'bye' that week.​
Its the conundrum of Downlands playing gps teams on their week off. IMO there is no right and wrong way. If a gps team has the chance to win the comp, I would not dream or imagine risking playing my best players for a insignificant game in light of what is at stake. This is no disrespect to Downlands. Its not a moral decision, as it is not a priority for gps teams who have a chance to win to play their best players. It has always been the way, so gps schools dont risk injuries unnecessarily. All credit to Downlands for having the right attitude as well as, I respect the gps coaches and rugby managements for making difficult calls as such to with-held their key players.​

Eyescream

Bob McCowan (2)
"Other than that i thought BBC looked disjointed and disinterested ".
That sums up the attitude and value placed on the Downlands fixtures, for ALL gps schools who have a 'bye' that week.​
Its the conundrum of Downlands playing gps teams on their week off. IMO there is no right and wrong way. If a gps team has the chance to win the comp, I would not dream or imagine risking playing my best players for a insignificant game in light of what is at stake. This is no disrespect to Downlands. Its not a moral decision, as it is not a priority for gps teams who have a chance to win to play their best players. It has always been the way, so gps schools dont risk injuries unnecessarily. All credit to Downlands for having the right attitude as well as, I respect the gps coaches and rugby managements for making difficult calls as such to with-held their key players.​
Well said....and I might add my opinion & comment is of no disrespect at all to Downlands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Some feedback on the 2 games televised.

GT vs BSHS:
BSHS dominated possession with a 68 to 32% territorial advantage in the first half. However the 14-7 scoreline to GT highlighted the strength of defense will win games. The few times GT ventured into BSHS half they turn those into points.
That was the difference in the 2nd half. BSHS were guilty of predictable one up runs from their big poppas and when they needed to be patient they forced the pass, trying to score off the first phase. They will learn and some very positive outcomes for BSHS to continue to improve.
GT: were well balanced and their defensive structures won the game. My picks were:
  • Tyrone M-Suapaia (#14)GT
  • Harry Wilson(#5)GT
  • Charlie Round (#6)GT
  • Moses Alo-Emile #3(BSHS)
  • Alex Schimdt #6(BSHS)
  • Jordan Petaia #15(BSHS)
Churchie vs IG:
Churchie were dominant and had the game sewn up early in the 2nd half. IG woke up with 10 minutes to go and played some attacking rugby with flair which they are capable of. Churchie were almost guilty of playing to protect a lead as they nearly got run down by a fast finishing IGS team.
As I just watched this on vid my picks are:
  • #1(Churchie) my mom..brilliant today
  • #4(Churchie) big man was very mobile and linked well
  • #8(Churchie) high work rate
  • #11 Ami (IGS) ALways gives 110%.

WaltBrisney

Peter Burge (5)
I have no affiliation with Downlands whatsoever but they deserve a lot of respect. GPS schools might well claim they run out 'second string' or 'fringe' players but do any of you really think for a second they don't care about the outcome. I agree they would have their eyes firmly on the prize of a GPS Premiership, and this may influence selections ie resting players who may have niggling injuries and might otherwise play if it was a competition game, but I am certain players and coaches alike approach this fixture with a desire to win. I have never played in a side or coached a side where winning wasn't the objective.

There might well have been a number of players that might not ordinarily be in their 1st XV starting sides who get opportunities in these games, but don't forget the concentration of talent that scholarships have created in GPS schools. Many GPS 2nd XV players have been recruited, read that as you wish, they are talented players.

I congratulate both teams for putting on an entertaining game yesterday. Yes there were some errors from both sides but nobody scores without opposition making mistakes.

I know this is a GPS thread and talk is quite rightly focused on happenings in GPS rugby but we could exercise a little more humility and recognise that non GPS schools are capable of producing excellent players and strong teams.

It's convenient for GPS schools to hide behind the excuse of 'not our strongest team'. Taking yesterday as an example, BBC had 4 Queensland schoolboys, one of them already a contracted player. They may well have been missing a few but the side that played yesterday could not be considered weak by any stretch of the imagination.

Downlands pushed them and deserve respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.