• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2018

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Dayum!

The Raj of Ross is back

Bluey is out of hibernation and quietly on the attack from the get go

Terrace are going to have a pretty good backline this year . Their forward pack is probably going to be better than initially expected too

And TSS look like they will be as lethal through the backs as what they will be through a big muscle pack. 13 looks the business as does 15 ( duh ) and 9. And obviously there is CP at 10

Ali Barber

Allen Oxlade (6)
What’s with the upper case Serge ?

But as to your question that’s like asking Marty McFly if he’s chicken

I have in fact posted an opening book and had a few updates , and whilst I’m feeling pretty good after picking the rattle and hum of the AIC market like a Nose ( shortening the Maristinians as the sure thing right before their loss to Iona ) I am reserving my next update until Sunday morning
Let’s go Gaz, let’s see your draft on the odds. You’re on a roll. Has much really changed from last year considering who were in the wings and who have come on stronger. Has NC got the guns to stay with TSS or will GT again fall short in the straight.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
So GT are the new Keebra Park of GPS doing home stay & billeting for rugby stars.The new boy from WA looks the goods.
Distinctly polynesian look about the GT backline now.What a change from days gone by -but good to see.

Surely GT wouldn’t do this, how will these kids remember the name of the street their school is in very they homeschool them??

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
The updated Owens book as at 23/5/2018

TSS - $1.50
Nudgee - $2.75
Terrace - $5.00
BBC - $8.00
Churchie ( the big market mover ) $15.00
IGS -$20.00
TGS -$25.00
BSHS - $30.00
BGS - $50.00

Get Some

Agreed with the book, slightly more generous odds at BETBAG but I am keeping very NC tight

TSS - $1.75
Nudgee - $2.00
Terrace - $4.50
BBC - $10.00
Churchie $25.00

The rest are any odds

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
No boarding facilities at GT B&W, have to try something to stem the tide of talented interstate rugby players filling the dorms of our brethren GPS schools.

Agree with you though , he does look the goods, very handy addition to what will be a very handy backline.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
The Butcher boy's have got a lot returning from last year and potentially one or two stepping up from the 2nds.
I'll put the pressure on them early and say they are going to go one better than last year and Win it outright.
NC, TSS and Terrace for my top 3. Go the mighty Blue and White:)

Reactions: vac

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Agree with Churchie being the big improvers.

Very well coached, play to their strengths and above their weight. Couple of new additions as well , good to see Izzy Sword running around at 13 down at TSS , I'm sure he will come along very nicely.

Churchie v NC v GT at the next GPS trial will be interesting.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
This just in......

Since the release of the updated Owens Book just over an hour ago the two fastest selling kool aid flavours this morning are :

1. Raspberry and Black Jelly Bean ( the supermarket shelves around Brisbane have emptied )

2. Blueberry and Polar White Ice

Go figure

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Agree with Churchie being the big improvers.

Good to see Izzy Sword running around at 13 down at TSS , I'm sure he will come along very nicely.

Churchie’s 7 was very impressive.

Re : The Izmeister .....just goes to prove its not that far from Corinda to Southport after all

Best 13 on the day for mine . Easily

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Izzy was playing 13 for Churchie at TSS against TSS, guessing the Churchie First XV coach ,who also coached him in U16 Qld Red team last year, may have had some influence in getting him to make the journey from Corinda to East Brisbane.

Was used as a utility backrower/centre at the U16 champs, think centre is his spot. Will only be in year 11 , so big things to come assuming a steep learning curve and 2 years playing First XV.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Uh huh

Makes sense now

I had him confused with TSS 13 who I thought was the best I saw on the day

I did notice Churchie 13 ( now correctly identified as Izzy ) and thought he looked Ok . A shame Drekown Brown is out of action - a Brown / Sword midfield would have been interesting

Izzy ( physically ) looking like that big power Centre type ala BGS's Dennis Waight

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Anyone catch the Reds curtain raiser yesterday? I imagine it would have been dominated by Otago school?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I didn’t see it but the report I got was that BBC raced out to a 22 point lead, Carter Gordon went off , and the kiwis fought back to 22-21 and were held up over the line at full time.

Lemno01

Allen Oxlade (6)
I didn’t see it but the report I got was that BBC raced out to a 22 point lead, Carter Gordon went off , and the kiwis fought back to 22-21 and were held up over the line at full time.

Correct Reg

21-0 to BBC at half time resulting from a very good half of rugby by BBC. They dominated most facets and were unlucky to have another try ruled as held up despite everyone at that end clearly seeing a grounding. Gordon controlled the game well, and Bowyer was electric. The forwards worked well as a pack around the park and dominated the scrum.

The turning point was what appeared to be a very late hit on Gordon after he passed to set up a first-half try. This was an obvious square-up for a dominant tackle on the 15 earlier who ran straight at him off a defensive lineout but ended on his back. Gordon continued to play but did not return for the second half.

In the second half there were a number of changes for BBC as Bowyer was replaced and Stevens came off with a head knock (?) after a very strong hit. This, and a number of other changes, led to a quite a few BBC players seemingly playing out of position (8/Kelly was playing at centre which was his old position). Consequently, and perhaps due to a number of changes from the kiwis, they dominated the second half and BBC were heavily penalised. However they defended strongly and kept the NZ side out many times and including a great final tackle from 6 to bundle them into touch on the final hooter.

This is obviously from the perspective of a BBC supporter, but the first half is one of the best I have seen over recent years. Their depth was tested and they found a way to win, and their low hard defence was a highlight. Encouragingly, Gordon kicked all his goals (all were pretty straight forward), with the only miss from Bowyer as Gordon was being tended to. Also, I thought 12 (Raoren?) did very well covering fly half for 35 mins considering it did not look like his natural position.

Overall, it was a great game of rugby played in pretty good spirit and quite a bit more enjoying than the incessant kicking in the Red game.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Re BBC v Otago
Missed the 1st 15 minutes-but saw the rest,If BBC can keep 10 & 15 injury free and keep 13 in the game they may just have the best backline in comp.Standard dropped when 10 & 15 went off & mass changes in 2nd half.
seems to be a big gap between BBC 1 and 2 teams.
,Spoke to some Otago parents and this was 2nd match in 7 days and most of top team sat out 1st half.
All in all a great win by BBC,
I hear BBC 15 is related to Matt Bowen and sure plays like him