• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2018

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
ER If you look a page or 2 ago we got completely lost in the maths on this one so dont hold me to it but next years seniors are in a smaller " talent" intake due to their intake starting on Jan 1 and finishing on June 30 born 2002. prep starting at a July 1 2002 intake for a full year.

Mathematically both 2018 and 2019 should be affected with 2019 being the most affected.2020 will be back to full year seniors and below.

Even though it was a half year some schools still had the same size intake.it was just easier to get in.but mathmatically talent had to be spread yeh ? Some schools didnt manage to fill all spots and some did ( read big advantage for schools with lower school fees. )

ATAR over 3 years will be as popular as repeating Grade 12 ..not very.

Comprendez ?

If we’re attempting to frame all this in a Mathematical context - I don’t believe it is as one dimensional , or as linear , in the way it has been explained

Far from it

If anything - you could make an argument , with good support of facts, that the transition has led to a greater accumulation and consolidation of talent

Firstly , the main thing everyone has to remember , is that School Years may run June to July , Age Group's for Rugby still run in the year you are born in ( except for under age teams in AIC of course where they play Grade )

Secondly, for the Class of 2019 , the assumption , of increased choice due to a number of January to June births being held back , that Schools with the lower fee base got bigger enrolments and therefore ( in a singular dimension ) more talent - is flawed. It is worth noting that this Class of 2019 were all 10 -11 years old in 2012 and just about to make the jump into the first year of middle school ( Grade 7 ) Consider the back end of the GFC and the Resources tail that was wagging the dog - a big assed $AUD for families that were exposed to service retail or export industries , and , in SEQ , how this may have impacted educational institutions attitudes to fee concessions. When addressing the issue of "talent" in this Class of 2019 - at least two thirds , IE :6 out of 9 ( and it's more like 7 ) , have all played ball , across a number of sports - but Rugby in particular, to build and consolidate talent . It is undeniable . Inarguable. And they have done so because they have had spare capacity - not just because of some overanxious parents who chose to hold their boys back to give them an advantage ( which from a Rugby impact in denial of "talent" to the Age Group had no impact anyway ) - but also because of some big assed, game changing, global factors in the post GFC / short term Resources boom of the 2010 to 2012 world - that drove "the two tiered" economy ( that was buzz speak at the time )

Thirdly , if you accept that 6 to 7 of the 9 member GPS Schools have been building and augmenting the Class of 2019 for some time , on a year on year basis - to varying degrees - but most on greater levels that they have ever done ( on a historical basis ) , then by extension , you would also have to accept that the Class of 2019 has been a Class of accumulation and consolidation from as far and wide as The Northern Territory , to North QLD to Central QLD , to Sunshine Coast , Gold Coast , Country NSW , South Australia and Western Australia - and , locally , on a ( cost ) like for like basis from School A to School B . Some have done better in their choice and ongoing development of talent compared to others to date - and I guess the final burden of proof will be on the outcomes of where it all ends up come the end of 2019.

But to suggest the Class of 2019 is a weak year because they were the first year impacted by the transition - is far from reality.

In simple summary - in Rugby terms , you lost none of the year group that stayed behind a year in the class room , and if anything , the lower overall numbers in this year group probably has led to a greater than normal level of talent accumulation .

I'm not saying it absolutely will - but there is a reasonable chance that in time , from solely a Rugby perspective , people might look back on the Class of 2019 and 2020 in the same way they look back at 2014 and 2015 and who and what came from those Classes

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
In this thought around transition to ATAR and its possible impacts over the last few pages it was good to see TSS's squad and broken down into Grade 12 and 11 , but where , it would seem - that those Grade 11 Boys are basically of Opens Age , meaning , TSS is likely to have a minimum of 11 x 18 year olds back next year + whoever is knocking around in their 2nds this year

That's a big number .

Nudgee seem to have 3 guys from their current squad who will be 18 next year - and again - whoever else they have knocking around in their 2nds

Terrace would also seem to have 3 guys from their current squad who will be back and 18 next year + whoever else from the 2nds ( I hear another 2 or 3 who are turning 18 will be likely )

BBC figure to have 5 or 6

So Nudgee , Terrace and BBC about the same at 5 to 6 each with TSS about double the number

Keeper

Bob McCowan (2)
Could someone please start another thread QLD GPS Rugby 2019? Might reduce traffic on this thread by 50% and focus it on this season not next.

Keeper

Bob McCowan (2)
GO Man here it is

1. TSS (too big too strong and too much depth)

2. NC (just know how to win)
3. BBC (injury curse has hit again with key player out for season, nos. 10 in serious doubt for opener and centre glandular- 3rd would be a good result - depth in backs has already been shown to be severely lacking)/TGS
5. BSHS (some good indiv and have always been competitive in this age)
6. GT/IGS
8. BGS
9. ACGS

2019 - who cares until 2019

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
^Fair enough re : 2019 , clearly a response on some stuff that was going around from a few different posters .....but whateves

Your list is pretty interesting ( genuine )

I am surprised at how high you have TGS and BSHS

I don't think many people would argue with 1 and 2 , but 3 to 8 might be a bit of a crap shoot

I had had some hopes for BGS , in that they seem to have a few really good players , but depth is thin and I reckon it is a near cert they will be bringing up the rear

I'm looking at TGS - and the biggest question mark is where they are going to score points ? Can't see any players ( yet ) that are capable of taking a game by the scruff of the neck and getting the W

Terrace have serious issues in their set piece - which I believe ends up hindering their back line - where there is undoubted talent . The 10 spot is still a big question mark for mine though with a few guys shuffling around

IGS and BSHS are pretty similar for mine - both teams genuinely capable of influencing the final results and if you get a wet day at IGS or BSHS where it turns into a bump and grind game and you can't play pace then anything is possible . IGS seem to have a few injury issues as well and this issue , like with BSHS , will always be a handicap as they just don't have the comparative depth with TSS and Nudgee probably leading the way here across all comers. In a lot of ways - both teams are probably the wildcards of the season.

The real bolter of the season could be Churchie They figure to have a strong scrum and lineout and their backrow are high energy workers that will keep them in games. I'm not sure how they rip a team apart ( sort of like TGS ) but I think they are probably similar but a better version of TGS . At best I could see Churchie finishing 3rd or 4th. I see them as a tough , disciplined , well drilled /prepared team

With BBC I don't think there is as much pressure on them as there may have been on prior year's teams . They've played the majority of their trial season without 3 or 4 of their starters in the backs , and outside of a lacklustre display in the last trial v BSHS at Wests - probably the biggest takeaway has been how good the defense has been in the backline . Defense will keep them in games until whatever is going on with injuries and availabilities sorts itself out. The scrum has been a lot better than most would have expected. The claims of lack of depth from outsiders is just that - claims of lack of depth from outsiders. I'd back BBC's depth ahead of IGS , BSHS, Churchie , Grammar ( clearly ) TGS and even GT. They might even have the march on Nudgee - not necessarily in quality - just in depth . In fact , I am backing BBC 2nds to go #1 or #2 this year . For real.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Genia bought into the magic of high school rugby and treated every game for the First XV as if it was a Test match for his country.
Having watched the players walk to the field accompanied by the sound of bagpipes and hundreds of screaming students countless times during his early years at BBC, Genia couldn’t wait to get a taste of the action. He even acted as water boy before getting his shot as a player himself.
“It was the absolute pinnacle of rugby when I was in school,” Genia said of playing in the First XV. “Then getting the opportunity to walk down with the bagpipes myself – honestly it used to give me goosebumps, and … it still gives me chills down my spine.
“You don’t have any of the pressure you have playing professionally. You’re literally just playing with your mates on a Saturday afternoon at 3.15, doing what you love. They’re some of the best footy memories that I have.”
C:\Users\spyman\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Qld Schoolboys Trials 2018

Wed 27/06

5.45pm GPS Gold v GPS Navy
7.00pm AIC v CSS

Thurs 28/06

4.30pm GPS Gold v CSS
5.45pm GPS Navy v AIC

Fri 30/06

2.15pm GPS Navy v CSS
3.30pm GPS Gold v AIC

First game should be a cracker !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Sneak view of Rugby premiership favourites.

View attachment 10026

Are they favourites Taipan, I hope so, as me and a mate have decided we will give club rugby a miss for rest of year and watch GPS. I had wandered down and watched a bit of local 1st 15 stuff and remembered how much I enjoyed College age rugby. And as I live in Daisy Hill he is in Bannockburn we thought Southport was the college we would support, means I pick him up for home games and he picks me up for away games:), very scientific way of selecting a team when you have no affiliation with anyone. I think it adds interest when watching obviously if you actually decide you are supporting one team!

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
TSS has many year 11. At risk of discussion regard the 2019 season, they might be favourite next year too.
A heavy tag to wear over 2 competition!

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Came across the U13 City Country rep sides for this years senior cohort - the latest estimate is there are 21 boys at GPS schools currently in the 1st squads.

City U13
Brodyn Tuhimata
Cayle Manu NC
Christian Brown
Daniel Condon GT
Edward Gunson IGS
Ethan Rees
Ethan Robbins NC
Francis Pona BSHS
George Tolai
Jake Pappin NC
James Green IGS
Louis Maritz
Luis Plazibat BBC
Luke Spreadborough
Morgan Prendergast
Saimone Ma'afu GT
Sam Finocchiaro
Thomas Macbeth
Trent Todd
William Kirk GT
William Roach GT
Xavier Strickland
Zach Hogan

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Country U13
Brodie Scott
Carter Gordon BBC
Connor McKinlay ACGS
Ethan Roworth
Hamish Roberts TSS
Hamiso Tzibaui Fidow Ex BGS
Harry Bartram
Ivano Steppa
Jack Brinsmead
Jamieson Poole
Jock Thompson TSS
Kyle Rimmer
Lachie McInnes TSS
Sam Dalton
Sam Nimmo
Sam Williams
Sireli Raivaroro
Tim Faingaanuka TGS
TK Heremia
Tom Payne BBC
Will Grant
Wilson Blyth TSS
Zane Nonggorr TSS

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I believe Connor McKinlay is at Churchie and playing as a 7

Tim Faingaanuka is a THP at TGS

From what I saw of both of them in trials they were both unlucky not to be playing in the QLD Schoolboy trials over the next few days

21 x GPS Boys out of the 46 across both squads still out there playing and representing their Schools at the highest level - good stuff

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Are they favourites Taipan, I hope so, as me and a mate have decided we will give club rugby a miss for rest of year and watch GPS. I had wandered down and watched a bit of local 1st 15 stuff and remembered how much I enjoyed College age rugby. And as I live in Daisy Hill he is in Bannockburn we thought Southport was the college we would support, means I pick him up for home games and he picks me up for away games:), very scientific way of selecting a team when you have no affiliation with anyone. I think it adds interest when watching obviously if you actually decide you are supporting one team!

You guys picking each other up in the band wagon I assume ?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You guys picking each other up in the band wagon I assume ?

Well why not Gary:D, I have spent my whole life following clubs through thick and thin, through various reasons, I an old bugger who never changes sides, so if I get one in a new comp would be nice to have a team with a chance of winning to start with;). I have already pinned my colours to John Paul college for next year, in college 1st 15 comp, they closest to me and son of a young fella I coached in NZ plays there, so we picked Souyhport, not because we thought it was favourite, but alternate turns at transport (we like to have a quick beer after a rugby game)

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
TSS has many year 11. At risk of discussion regard the 2019 season, they might be favourite next year too.
A heavy tag to wear over 2 competition!

They seem to have been preseason favorites for as long as I can remember - maybe ACGS was preseason favorite in 2014 but TSS would have been every year since.