• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
BBC 37 -nil over ACGS -dominant forward display.
Impressive defence.
ACGS 12 and 13 looked good but got no ball.
MOM BBC 8

Agree Gungenia BBC speed in defence completely shell shocked the young Churchie side. BBC turned up to play from the start. The BBC forwards slowed the ball down at the breakdown and the rush defence was bloody good. I think Churchie only had the ball for a few minutes in the first 20. At 25 nil at the break BBC could have put a hugh score against the blue greys but to their credit Churchie held and defended their line very well. Looking at the players after the game there was a lot of ice on them so maybe the game was harder than it looked from the sidelines.
The Churchie boys now know what is expected from them to play 1st15, pressure from the school as well as the quality of opposition. They will have learnt a lot from that first game. BBC showed that they have a team, with or without injuries, who will be competitive against all teams this year.
MOM BBC 8 closely followed by 12, 2, 6, 10
Churchie 14, 12, 6, 7

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Lots of interest in the first week of tipping, 40 punters in our midst.

No one managed a perfect round with 3/4 the best, also good to see no donuts handed out this week with 1/4 or worst result.

A break down of who was tipped.

TSS v Nudgee
80% tipped TSS

BSHS v IGS
45% tipped IGS

ACGS v BBC
55% tipped BBC

GT v TGS
12% tipped TGS

Here's the leader board after Round 1

All Over It 3
BBCfanatic 3
Charlie 3
Frae 3
Jets 3
John Munro 3
Jonte Roberts 3
Petep 3
Rugby Follower 3
rugrat 3
Seagull 3
Shirley Streszlejki 3
Skyfall 3
An_Observer 2
BAG 2
Cookie 2
Dark Shark 2
David Y 2
EGROEG 2
KING JAMES 2
Nomad 2
Sage Too 2
Sgt Slaighter 2
zac 2
Cagey Ref 1
Cruiser 1
fairplay 1
Fraser 1
Great Public Schools 1
HJ Nelson 1
Hound 1
jt 1
KFC 1
Lammy 1
Nudgee 1
Outsider 1
Patriot 1
Reg 1
The Ear 1
Tom Griffin 1

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
How good was the TSS scrum ? George Blake especially.
George Blake a standout, as was Zane, Hamish and Dion. TSS domination in set piece and breakdown kept them in the game. TSS considerably fitter and got back on their defence line far quicker. A bit of work to do in their backs with combinations and ball handling.
What happened Nudgee? Harry Vella and Finn Hearn were my picks for the first round. 10,12 and 13 need to spend more time on fitness than pumping weights. Did you forget this was was Round 1 and not a trial. A bit of work to do before you face IGS and BBC.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Great job on the GPS coverage to GAGR @TheKing and everyone else who works to show the public these games. They actually rate quite well - believe it or not I'm realiably informed Courier Mail deliberately paywalls GPS articles because people will pay to view them such is their popularity.

The TSS NC streamed game was a highlight and I'm sure the rest of the season will be a treat. A gem of rugby to make up for increasingly miserable professional outcomes

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
George Blake a standout, as was Zane, Hamish and Dion. TSS domination in set piece and breakdown kept them in the game. TSS considerably fitter and got back on their defence line far quicker. A bit of work to do in their backs with combinations and ball handling.
What happened Nudgee? Harry Vella and Finn Hearn were my picks for the first round. 10,12 and 13 need to spend more time on fitness than pumping weights. Did you forget this was was Round 1 and not a trial. A bit of work to do before you face IGS and BBC.

I thought Lastus was outstanding and Nudgee’s best on ground. If there was such a thing as Team of the Week that Double Take did, them based on what I saw surely he gets the nod. There is something Kerevi like about this one.

By the way, if Ipswich can get a reasonable share of ball they are going to slaughter a lot of teams.

Wombat70

Allen Oxlade (6)
IGS forwards look huge. I was mesmerised by their number 3. Their back line looked lightning fast and they look to have some depth all round.
What price an IGS v TSS undefeated round eight grand final a la TSS / NC last year?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Have heard IGS will be without Sam Walker for a few games due to his RL commitments with Australian Schoolboys.

How will they go with their second choice #10 steering them around?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Agree BAG , GV was very impressive, looked likely every touch in the first half , but the GT forwards were outperformed in the second half by TGS and when GT did get some ball it was often in poor field position or they made some poor choices, maybe panicked even .

Would like to see David V either get more involved or moved closer to the action. A Vaihu brother centre combination could cause some headaches , but they will still need more ball than they saw in the second half.

Credit to TGS , looked outclassed early but hung in the fight and got the lollies in the end. Thought their 3, 10 & 15 had good games .

A

Aussie Luke

I think if there is a team who can match TSS’s power in the set piece then they could be beat TSS. TSS had most of the ball and territory but it was only 2 tries a piece. Perhaps BBC or Ipswich? Would be interested to hear any thoughts on this.

Let The Boys Play

Frank Row (1)
I think if there is a team who can match TSS’s power in the set piece then they could be beat TSS. TSS had most of the ball and territory but it was only 2 tries a piece. Perhaps BBC or Ipswich? Would be interested to hear any thoughts on this.

I would say no team in the comp will touch TSS's set piece, especially IGS, who, yes are quite strong, but have a fairly poor set piece (having only watched the first half of the game vs BSHS)

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Great job on the GPS coverage to GAGR @TheKing and everyone else who works to show the public these games. They actually rate quite well - believe it or not I'm realiably informed Courier Mail deliberately paywalls GPS articles because people will pay to view them such is their popularity.

The TSS NC streamed game was a highlight and I'm sure the rest of the season will be a treat. A gem of rugby to make up for increasingly miserable professional outcomes

Thanks mate. TSS v NC was a high point but there's more to come. O'Callaghan Cup AND Battle of the Colours in back to back weeks on the commentary stream. An epic start to the season.

Re: The Courier-Mail, my understanding is that every article on the site is paywalled unless the story is in public interest. Everything else is subscriber-only.

The workaround for the folks only interested in the GPS coverage is nothing stops you from taking the $1-per-week deal for the first three months (ie the GPS season) and then cancelling with no lock in contract - but nobody heard that from me

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
The game the RL Schoolboys play is during the Sept school holidays , but think they have a series of camps leading into it.

Don't know when the camps are on , but yes have heard they will miss 3 games.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
IGS forwards look huge. I was mesmerised by their number 3. Their back line looked lightning fast and they look to have some depth all round.

What price an IGS v TSS undefeated round eight grand final a la TSS / NC last year?

"
I was mesmerised by their number 3". He is seriously big, I mean seriously big...Has good burst speed, and hands too.