• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
I guess everyone misses tackles and I always tend to be positive as you rightly suggested Mr Confucious but perhaps you are right. Maybe the Ipswich boys aren’t exceptional defenders in your and some other’s eyes but at a minimum I reckon they are very good. I like their ability to compete hard when the ball hits the deck. It seems to be unnecessarily splitting hairs anyway. They are good players and you promoted the idea of positive reinforcement in general so I am not sure what your point was.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
BBC 14A's caused an upset on the weekend, scraping a draw against a strong Churchie side.

Talk they have called non-contested scrums for this weekends game, anyone know if there is any truth in this? Was talk from some students.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I’d be interested to know how strong are BBC? Are Churchie a weak team or BBC was just very strong? Are BBC a contender or won’t match TSS or Nudgee?
I think probably a bit of both. Churchie may struggle this year despite their best efforts. BBC look good again this year, and should be top 4. Nudgee and TSS still look like more complete packages and, like other posters have said Ippy are looking a wee bit scary. Still only one round down, but I think this is our top 4 contenders. I have a feeling TSS will drop a game somewhere on the way too.

Will Jackson

Bob McCowan (2)
Talk they have called non-contested scrums for this weekends game, anyone know if there is any truth in this? Was talk from some students.

ye, they went uncontested last weekend, and instead of bring along a proper front row, they had backrowers and outside backs in the front row

KFC

Allen Oxlade (6)
ye, they went uncontested last weekend, and instead of bring along a proper front row, they had backrowers and outside backs in the front row

TGS did exactly the same thing in the 15A's which made them very quick right across the park. Needless to say they came home with a wet sail when you would expect the forwards to be tiring.

Will Jackson

Bob McCowan (2)
TGS did exactly the same thing in the 15A's which made them very quick right across the park. Needless to say they came home with a wet sail when you would expect the forwards to be tiring.

in my opinon, i think it is a bit unfair for a team to go uncontested when they choose not to train any props or hookers.

Let The Boys Play

Frank Row (1)
My Personal Team of round 1

1 Linston Tafa-Tuimavave BSHS
2 James Durheim BBC
3 Zane Nonggorr TSS
4 Marlon Jones TSS
5 Wilson Blyth TSS
6 Michael van der Schyff TSS
7 Sam Kelly-Knowles BBC
8 Titi Nofoagatota NC
9 Sanni Siliva BSHS
10 Sam Walker IGS
11 Seamus King-Smith IGS
12 Lastus Auakai NC
13 Ethan King IGS
14 Henry Caswell ACGS
15 Quinn Siolo GT

Notables
George Gibson 8 BBC
Romeo Tanielu 3 IGS
Taj Annan 15 BBC

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
in my opinon, i think it is a bit unfair for a team to go uncontested when they choose not to train any props or hookers.

I agree, I think especially at A team levels, going into the game that way, and if it is done cynically. However I can see it from the point of view of a team that is playing a monster front row (think about 100kg+ Polynesian 13 year olds packing down against a much smaller front row) Sometimes it is a safety issue

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I've always thought it would be a great to see what would happen to coaches starting games with uncontested scrums if the opposing team then got to choose who had to stand in the scrum from that team.

Have seen it too many times where junior coaches want good ball for their star outside backs, but instead of training up a tight five , take the uncontested option before kick off.

Totally understand it when injury/numbers makes it necessary, but to start a season with uncontested scrums in an A comp at a GPS school where you've had a complete preseason with the A/B programs running is a problem.

Imagine having to pack your star outside backs and your 10 into a scrum and have the opposition run rings around you come scrum time.

Might place a little more emphasis on front row / tight five training and development at a younger age , which hopefully would help our set piece in the long term for rugby in general.

Anyway , just a thought.

Lemno01

Allen Oxlade (6)

I believe the front row for BBC 14A is going to continue in that format and you'd expect them to be contesting this weekend. ACGS 15A also called uncontested scrums at half time after losing 2-3 tight heads in the first half, so many schools are having issues in this area.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The issue is when it's unsafe. You need to trust that the coaches do the correct thing and don't just do it for a tactical reason. If they want loose forwards all through the scrum they should go and coach league.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I believe the front row for BBC 14A is going to continue in that format and you'd expect them to be contesting this weekend. ACGS 15A also called uncontested scrums at half time after losing 2-3 tight heads in the first half, so many schools are having issues in this area.
The incredibly sad events of last season will continue to have a big impact - as you’d expect

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Well I wasn’t referring just to scrum contests but the broader issue of chronic injury , player safety and the increased risk of liability issues

Will Jackson

Bob McCowan (2)

I know that 15A's did, but they were forced to with injury, whereas BBC chose to before injuries came into account

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Hi BAG

I believe the rule is that if you cannot contest A scrums, the B scrum must also be uncontested (I'd imagine this is only if it is called before the game).

Sure - the rules are getting ridiculous - if you aren't contesting scrums at an A level - we really aren't playing Rugby anymore are we! I think each A team should be able to play this card once (injuries happen) after that forfeit - play the game but you have already lost.