1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

Discussion in 'Schoolboy Rugby' started by terry from Townsville, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Roberts Rugby Herbert Moran (7)

I look forward to watching him in the trials. QLD team last year?
  2. All over it Bob McCowan (2)

Didn’t play - not sure of the reason. One to watch for BBC fans nonetheless
  3. The Nomad Ward Prentice (10)

Didn’t come back from WA after the Xmas break. Apparently wanted to stay at home with the family, which I totally get .
    Great kid , hopefully gets a crack at his rugby dreams through the WA systems.
  4. Roberts Rugby Herbert Moran (7)

Fair enough. GT is a great school but without family close by life can get lonely. Disappointing for GT in losing a great kid and an outstanding player. Wish him well in WA.
    The Nomad likes this.
  5. Roberts Rugby Herbert Moran (7)

So it appears there are no new year 11 recruits at TSS that are at the level of 2017/18 team and may not make the 1st XV squad cut. Source 50/50. On that basis I call top 4 as Nudge, IGS, BBC and GT. Churchie a contender. Who has year 11 recruitment?
  6. Rugrat Larry Dwyer (12)

Has there been any confirmation re coaches for this season?
  7. Roberts Rugby Herbert Moran (7)

Garry Owens. Oracle.
    No BBC squad announcement I hear. Is it a coaching crisis again this year?
  8. Roberts Rugby Herbert Moran (7)

Maybe a line out! But if there is nothing to report I just move on.
  9. Oracle83 Bill Watson (15)

Playing my views on the college typically low key RR.

It’s been great to see the Colleges results dramatically improve over the past few years consistently winning 5-6 games but they don’t know how to grind enough to win 7 never mind 8 of their games. I believe 2016 was theirs for the taking but poor kick options cost them dearly vs TSS & NC. This year is a great team but how can they beat a Pasitoa anchored Nudgee? Really keen to see their lineup.
  10. Jets Geoff Shaw (53)

Some clarity over the selection of the Queensland Schoolboy squads.

11. intheknow2012 Frank Row (1)

GPS Heads made the decision that they won't be participating in the Schoolboy pathway. U18 Regional trials are on in a few weeks so boys won't be prepared/ ready to trial yet. The Academy system is the pathway moving forward. Gives AIC & State schools an opportunity to play some rep footy for Met East, Met West, etc. and then play for QLD schoolboys at the "Nationals". It will be interesting to see what the Nationals look like though, as ACT, VIC & WA will most likely not be there, and No GPS boys in the QLD teams. a lot of uncertainty still this year.
    michalis likes this.
  12. Jets Geoff Shaw (53)

This is the info from QSS

13. Prince Henry Larry Dwyer (12)

The QRFSU state championships clash with Round 1 of the AIC season, so safe to say that the best of that competition won't be available either.
  14. Oracle83 Bill Watson (15)

Really enjoyed tonight’s Rebel’s vs brumbies with BRISBANE GPS schools well represented, noted at least 3 old BBC boys out there amongst a raft of others. Stoked to see Quade back in Super Rugby - it’s a shame Thorn let his personal agenda drive him away but I think I know who will have the last laugh and go on to wear the green and gold again.

Shame some also elect to defect to league but well done on his loyalty to Broncos Pat Carrigan from ZgT.
    https://www.nrl.com/news/2017/01/26/how-broncos-prospect-resisted-rugbys-lure/
    Hound likes this.
  15. Oracle83 Bill Watson (15)

QRU are a joke
  16. The Nomad Ward Prentice (10)

No the QSS hold this championship every year at the same time to normally select the CSS team that then goes on to compete with AIC and GPS teams for spots in the Qld Schoolboys team. It normally wouldn’t involve any AIC or GPS lads, but as we have seen with the post from Jets , if you want to play Qld Schoolboys this year you have to go through this pathway.

The GPS schools have already said they are not supporting it and as mentioned, clashes with AIC rugby. Looks like if you aren’t at Sunnybank for the trials you can’t play for Qld Schoolboys in July and as a result can’t play Aussie Schoolboys this year. There is a separate U18 Aussie team chosen later in the year that school based players are eligible for but is independent of the QSS. This team could include any U18 player regardless of wether they are still at school or were present at Riverview in July.

Basically means that a heap of boys who were 17 finishing school last year plus any GPS or AIC boy is eligible , as are all the boys who had a crack at making Schoolboys through the QSS pathway.

The U18 teams is RA , Schoolboys QSS

The QRU have very little to do with QSS business.

Looks like the Reds and the GPS association ( and maybe the AIC? ) are running their own race .
    Garry Owens likes this.
  17. The Heard Frank Row (1)

18. The Heard Frank Row (1)

That TSS team in 2006 was stacked. Looking back now would be the best GPS team to play. 6 super rugby players (Simmons, Slipper, Tapuai, Lance, Morahan, Eyres-Brown) they also had players who played in NRL Nathan Stapleton was on the wing and Daniel Vinula 13. Eyres-Brown was fly half not Lance, Lance was the everywhere man off the bench. I watched that season myself. Lance Found it hard to get starting spot as Eyres-Brown and Tapuai both QLD players at the time and they had a huge imported player from NZ at 13 called Daniel Vinulu who ended up playing for North QLD Cowboys. They also had Seb Davies who played Toyota cup for Titans and there half back that played for Wales in under 20’s World Cup. Luke something and Josh Cooper was Australian School boy hooker. Can’t argue 6 super Rugby players in one first XV has to be the best GPS teams ever assembled. They were so good there coach got a Super Rugby contract.
  19. RugbyReg Phil Waugh (73)

surely that Churchie 2014 side would go close? Ponga, Perese, Fox, Nucifora, Mason, Liam Wright, Scott-Young, Croft and Sua?
  20. Patriot Frank Row (1)

I agree coaches have to make decisions just like the other educators at the school,but unlike the other teachers they are protected from parental scrutiny.I have a young bloke at a GPS school this will be his 4 th year there. I can make an appointment any time to see any of his teachers to discuss his progress, except his Rugby coaches.I pay big money for him to go there and I feel that coaches should be expected to meet with parents also. My son plays at A/B level and the coaching is very good but as you go down to say c’s and below it is very very poor usually the coaches are young old boys with no idea. I think these kids should have the same level of coaching regardless of their ability as their parents pay the same fees. I also know that feedback is almost non existent I have personally seen kids brushed by inexperienced arrogant coaches who either couldn’t give a damn or don’t know how to defend their decision.