• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Has just been thrown into a little disarray. I would say that with Turnbull, Newman is the politician I respect the most in this country.

http://www.news.com.au/national/mos...26015968?from=igoogle+gadget+compact+news_rss

LORD Mayor of Brisbane Campbell Newman announced today he will fight to become leader of Queensland's Opposition - without even being in Parliament.
And Queensland sources said he he had the numbers to pull off what would be the most audacious leadership challenge in Australian politics.
In effect, he wants to move from the office of Lord Mayor to the office of Premier in one election.

C

chief

Newman, is a tax and spend Liberal. Rate rises, useless tunnels with excessive tolls, idiotic bike stations. I would have preferred Springborg or Tim Nicholls who are both class acts and worthy of leading the LNP again.

Being said, John Paul Langbroek wasn't going to be a very good Premier. At least Newman has an agenda.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Newman, is a tax and spend Liberal. Rate rises, useless tunnels with excessive tolls, idiotic bike stations. I would have preferred Springborg or Tim Nicholls who are both class acts and worthy of leading the LNP again.

Being said, John Paul Langbroek wasn't going to be a very good Premier. At least Newman has an agenda.

I'd be surprised if the rate rises under Newman have been any higher than previous lord mayors. Do you have any info on this?

I also thought the tunnel was just as much or more a state government project than bcc?

C

chief

I'd be surprised if the rate rises under Newman have been any higher than previous lord mayors. Do you have any info on this?

I also thought the tunnel was just as much or more a state government project than bcc?

Apologies Scotty, I have misled you on this one and I only just read this. Newman didn't raise rates above inflation. But he significantly raised units and apartments rates above them, which is why they are so hostile towards him.

Also, the next QLD election is going to be a bloodbath, this QLD Labor govt has been alright. Maybe they upped a few too many prices like Car Rego, Asset sales and ditched a few Public Transport projects. But they are looking at having 11 Labor MP (Moana Pasifika)'s after the election which is a huge amount that will be lost, and without the upper house, I worry of what will come to an "Opposition" especially with Labor's likely replacement/s to Bligh Andrew Fraser I will happily be glad to see him gone) and Cameron Dick will both lose their seats. Dick is meant to be pretty good. Also Kate Jones, the Environment Minister will probably lose her seat to Newman. Which is a damn shame.

Why does everyone like Newman so much? An actual honest question.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think because he comes off as less of a politician and more of a real person. He seems to get stuck in and get the job done without the fuss that many other pollies make, and he is pretty much straight down the line. More results driven that polls driven.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
A little birdie whispered to me that a QLD branch of certain union is seriously trying to undermine Bligh at the moment. I won't name them, but given recent media attention around a number of Govt funded projects its not hard to guess who...

Status
Not open for further replies.