• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Colts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
One of the major issues in this is that clubs don't seem to understand the importance of a pathway for coaches. They just seem happy to put someone in the position and hope that they will do a good job. Clubs should be trying to encourage former players to get some experience in lower grades and bring them through so that they understand what is involved at coaching at a higher level. They also need to be given an outline of how long it will take to reach a certain level. Just because you played Premier rugby doesn't mean that you will be able to coach at that level.
With GPS rugby being so intense these days some players can't handle going to play club rugby where they only train twice a week and the coaches don't seem to have an idea about what they are doing.
A great example of developing a coach is Tim Sampson at Sunnybank. He retired from playing and they made sure that he was still involved with coaching and a couple of years on he is a Premier coach. He was provided a pathway and happily took it.

D

Doc

Good points Jets.

Was talking to some colts last year and they couldn't believe how low the standard of coaching and training was. Not that it was bad or anything but they expected more, thinking it would be a bit more professional. That club did pretty well too.

The other issue is coaching colts is vastly different to grades, at most clubs anyway. Primarily due to the age, but also abilities. SOME clubs forget that at prem colts level u have players still hoping to make it at an elite level. Giving them a successful 4th grade coach doesn't mean that they have the skill set to develop that.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
In most years if you finish the comp with over 55 points you would expect to be playing in the finals but that will not be the case this year. 6 teams will finish the Prem colts season past that point and at least 5 of these teams should have a positive points difference over 150.
Easts in 6th spot on 54 points will finish the year with a big win over Norths, who are on their last legs, and could end up in 5th spot if other games go their way.
Uni and Sunnybank play each other out at Sunnybank this weekend with the winner likely to be in the finals and the looser out for the season. I think a few other teams will be keen to see the back of one of these teams as they both have the potential to knock off some of the higher finishing teams. If Uni win without a bonus point and Sunnybank gain 2 bonus points then the Dragons will go through but with Uni kickers only getting 5/13 last weekend I would say that they will need to score tries to win.
GPS play Sunnycoast at home and should pick up at least 4 points. They are in form and it will take a very good team to beat them over the next few weeks. If they win and the teams above them draw then they will be minor premiers.
Brothers play the Breakers on the Gold Coast with the winning team likely to be Minor Premiers for 2010. The winner will also have a physiological edge if they cross paths again this month.
If you get the chance get out and watch some Prem colts rugby this weekend and you shouldn't be disappointed as it is very attacking and exciting to watch.

Standings

Team Points Point Dif
Gold Coast 61 182
Brothers 61 145
GPS 60 163
Sunnybank 59 191
Uni 57 162
Easts 54 147
Souths 46 -19
Sunny Coast 34 -55
Wests 16 -295
Norths 1 -621

D

Doc

Sure is a tough year Jets.

Times I've coached Prem Colts, 9-10 wins is usually good enough to be safe, even possibly sneak in with 8 and some good BPs.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
GPS 19 Sunny Coast 17? (could have been 15)

Really entertaining game with Sunny Coast close to defeating the Gallopers. Ill-discipline led to two yellow cards for GPS - can't afford to do that next week. Just scraped in to win and a top 4 position.

L

leftside

so after yesterday's results, the final ladder should be:

Gold Coast 66
GPS 64
Brothers 63 or 62
Uni 62

which makes for next week:

Major Semi: Gold Coast v GPS

Minor Semi: Brothers v Uni

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Results from yesterday below

GPS 19 d Sunshine Coast 15
Easts 46 d Norths 5
Gold Coast 27 d Brothers 22
Souths 43 d Wests 7
University 27 d Sunnybank 21

Not sure if Brothers managed a 4th try but if they did they are in 3rd and if not they finish 4th.

I'm sure a lot of teams are happy to see the end of Sunnybank. They could have caused some upsets in the finals on their day.

It's good to see the Sunny Coast boys finish with a good performance against a very good GPS team. They pushed quite a few teams this year and hopefully they build on this for next season.

Finals are on at Ballymore next Sunday both at 1:20.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Brothers got the bonus point so they finish 3rd

Breakers 66
GPS 64
Brothers 63
Uni 62

Good games next weekend

Breakers v GPS on Ballymore 1 while Brothers v Uni on Ballymore 2 both at 1:20 on Sunday.
Will be interesting to see if any Premier Grade players are eligible for GC and GPS. I see Jared Butler has played Prem Colts over the last few weeks.

D

Doc

Brothers got the bonus point so they finish 3rd

Breakers 66
GPS 64
Brothers 63
Uni 62

Good games next weekend

Breakers v GPS on Ballymore 1 while Brothers v Uni on Ballymore 2 both at 1:20 on Sunday.
Will be interesting to see if any Premier Grade players are eligible for GC and GPS. I see Jared Butler has played Prem Colts over the last few weeks.
Unless they have changed the rules this year, (which given that they do pretty regularly may be the case) they would all be eligible, except possibly some props.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
So off to Ballymore this Sunday at 1:20 to see who goes straight into the GF and who drops out of the race.

On Ballymore 1 minor premiers Gold Coast take on GPS to qualify for the big show a fortnight latter.

Gold Coast had the second best attack with 549 and 5th best defence conceding 362. They scored 84 tries, 46 conversions, 8 penalties and one field goal. They had 20 try scorers with Taniela Tuivanuavou crossing the line 19 times.

GPS had the best defence for the season only letting in 309 point while scoring 476. Their points have come from 71 tries, 41 conversions and 13 penalty goals. They have has 20 try scorers with Todd Winkley scoring the most with 15.

In round 7 GPS beat the Breakers 22 - 19 down on the coast and followed it up with a 31 - 26 win at home in round 16.

I am leaning towards GPS in this one on the back of their 2 wins in the regular season and the fact that they have only lost 1 game since round 6 of the comp. It will be close and the Breakers will be desperate to have a weekend off so they don't have to travel the following weekend. Also GPS may do well out of players returning from Premier with Chris Nasiganiyavi eligible from my understanding but Gold Coast should welcome Jared Buttler.

On Ballymore 2 Brothers take on Uni in what should be an entertaining match.

Brothers have had a great year being in the top 4 since round 1. They have the equal second best defence in the comp conceding 330 and the 6th best attack scoring 470 points. They scored 73 tries, 41 conversions and 6 penalty goals. They had 19 try scorers with Mitchell Felsman on 13 tries being their top try man.

Uni are in the top 4 for the second time this season having moved up from 7th spot about 5 weeks ago. They have the best attack in the comp with 571 points scored and 6th best defence letting in 403. This was made up of 87 tries, 41 conversions, 13 penalty goals and 1 field goal. George Morseu scored a whopping 21 tries to be the comps most prolific try scorer.

Brothers won the first clash of the season 31 - 18 in round 3 at Crosby while Uni bounced back with a 31 - 20 win in round 12.

Brothers are coming off the back of a loss to Gold Coast and a draw with Sunnybank, while Uni have knocked Easts, Souths and Sunnybank out of the running in the last 5 weeks. I am bias towards Uni but it will be a good game with the winner making it hard for the looser of the other match in the Prelim final the following week.

I hope that there is a big turn out to see some of the stars of the future running around this weekend.

D

Doc

Could Nasiganiyavi win to Prem Colt titles in 2 years with 2 different clubs? Would be interesting.

Last year Uni suffered at times for the return of the Prem players, so it isn't always a good thing.

Jets, I know Dave was fired up over losing last year so good luck this time around, esp this week against the filth.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Could Nasiganiyavi win to Prem Colt titles in 2 years with 2 different clubs? Would be interesting.

Last year Uni suffered at times for the return of the Prem players, so it isn't always a good thing.

Jets, I know Dave was fired up over losing last year so good luck this time around, esp this week against the filth.

Thanks Doc. That won't be an issue this year with almost every grade in the club making the finals no one will be returning to Colts.

D

Doc

Thanks Doc. That won't be an issue this year with almost every grade in the club making the finals no one will be returning to Colts.

Oh and by suffered I mean it was their own Prem players coming back that disrupted stuff.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah I know. You would think that Jono Lance, Ian Prior, Luke Morahan and Tevita Kuridrani would have made things easier not harder. Funny how team dynamics work.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Results from yesterday

Premier Colts:
Major Semi-Final: Gold Coast 30 (D Taumata, J Julius, Tuivanuavou, S Bartley, B Wilson tries, D Taumata con, S Bartley drop goal) d GPS 28 (D Lindsay, J Marshall, T Richards, T Maafu tries, P Smith 4 cons)

Minor Semi-Final: University 22 (J O'Regan, S Rasolea, K Boucaut, A Smith tries, S Hopkins con) d Brothers 17 (L Beauchamp, S Dwyer, M Felsman tries, M Felsman con)

GPS to play University next Sunday at Ballymore

So Brothers are out of the running now and Gold Coast have saved themselves an extra trip up the highway by booking a spot in the Grand Final.

I didn't see any of the major semi but could view the scoreboard and Gold Coast got early points and GPS came back for what would have been an exciting finish.

In the minor semi Brothers were very enthusiastic and were willing to put their bodies on the line but just ran out of time to score the final try after coming back to be only 5 points down. They were camped on the Uni line but the Uni defence held strong despite losing some key players to injuries.

Uni now have the chance to redeem themselves after being completely out played by GPS in their last match up.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I've always thought a break week mid finals can be as much a curse as a blessing. What is everyone's thoughts on this?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I've always thought a break week mid finals can be as much a curse as a blessing. What is everyone's thoughts on this?

I personally am not a big fan of the week off but now that I have injuries the 3 key players I would love it. I think the week off can mess up the routine of the team.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
So tomorrow we find out who will be playing Gold Coast in the GF. GPS long undefeated streak came to an end last week with their close loss to the Breakers. Uni on the other hand have won their last 6 games and have been playing sudden death rugby for a while.

I am going to tip Uni but I am a bit bias. Whatever the result it should be a really good game.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Thought I should put up the Brisbane U19 team

Brisbane Under 19 (blue and gold hoops)

1 Lyall Fidow (University)
2 Alex Casey (Souths)
3 William Tuli (Sunnybank)
4 Stuart Williamson (Souths)
5 Dan McGhee (University)
6 Jordan Tuapou (Easts)
7 Charlie Freney (Brothers)
8 Luke Beauchamp (Brothers)
9 Nick Frisby (GPS)
10 Cayden Matehaere (Sunnybank)
11 Chris Nasiganiyavi (GPS)
12 Junior Rasolea (University)
13 Tevita Kuridrani (University)
14 Matt Garland (GPS)
15 Jason Hofmeyr (Sunnybank)

16 Andrew Owens (Sunnybank)
17 Dom Rakei (Easts)
18 Michael Stolberg (Easts)
19 Rob Rutledge (Wests)
20 Kieran Williamson (Easts)
21 Hugh Stitt (Brothers)
22 George Morseu (University)

F

feedhimbra

The way Frisby has been playing, esspecially today, i dont think anyone could get infront of him. He can control the game with his decisions and precise kicking, great player.

Status
Not open for further replies.