• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well he coached GPS to their last premiership in 96. Has head coached in Ireland. Has also been involved with both the tahs and reds in recent years.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
That's a really good signing for the Eagles. If he can have a bit of free reign to do what he wants I can see them improving.

I have always felt that Norths are in a good location to grow and become a threat. They need to get some corporate support behind them so they can deliver a successful rugby program.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
SouthernX pretty sure they're goneskies from the Premier Competition mate. Know someone who has a role with the Stingrays colts program and he said they were informed a few months ago that 2013 would be the last season in the comp for them. Not sure if anything has changed or how the club will operate now but I assume they'll just play in the Sunny Coast comp.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I hear that Haydn Hirsimaki is moving to Brisbane to play next year.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
So with Sunnycoast out, which option would every club prefer?

A 9 team. Individual club 2 bye week comp?

Or

10 team (replace Sunnycoast with Logan City) & just have a designated cômpetition bye week round???

I think the Saints would be good for the premier landscape. I believe it would give the comp more parity.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Out of curiosity, would Sunnybank lose a decent amount of players to Logan if they were introduce to the Premier Comp? Given Logan is in Sunnybanks current catchment area.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I hear that Haydn Hirsimaki is moving to Brisbane to play next year.
Any ideas what club?

100% agree SX, they HAVE to be in!

Tigerland12, should be a challenge Sunnybank, however, the amount of competition and talent in the Southern areas is immense, both clubs can easily be competitive along with Souths.

2014 should be an interesting year, and surely my mate Tiger Tales will re-appear.

yoke

Bob McCowan (2)
Any ideas what club?

Tigerland12, should be a challenge Sunnybank, however, the amount of competition and talent in the Southern areas is immense, both clubs can easily be competitive along with Souths.

2014 should be an interesting year, and surely my mate Tiger Tales will re-appear.
I
Since Jets mate the statement on Hirashanki, you would guess Sunnybank wouldn't you!!

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)
Any ideas what club?

Geez I hope not!!

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
Would be terrific to see Logan step up to Premier Grade. With a resurgent Souths destined for bigger things, a Tony Darcy-led Norths bound to improve, and several clubs looking to make amends for what might have been in 2013 it will be a tough season for Logan to enter the comp. It'll be a good test for them if it happens.

Whether it's a 9 or 10 team comp it certainly appears to be more open than the Sydney Uni-dominated Shute Shield. We're very fortunate to have a balanced competition with so many quality players and coaches.

Gonna be a long summer ....

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I
Since Jets mate the statement on Hirashanki, you would guess Sunnybank wouldn't you!!
That's what I've been told but it was second hand news and this time of year I get told a lot of stuff that doesn't come true by the start of round 1 the following season.

As for Logan entering Premier it would be interesting. You would think they would need a bit of lead in time to sort out their rugby program. I can't see it having a big impact on the higher grades at Sunnybank. A few of the lower grades players may chose to play closer to home or feel they should be playing higher than they currently are and move.

If they are are in though Sunnybank wont be the only team who will loose some players though.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Interesting to hear Tony Darcy will be at Norths as whispers in the corridor suggest that Norths may also be goneski next year due to financial struggles. I also hear through the traps Tim Sampson applied for the head coach's role on the Gold Coast but many of the applicants were turned off when advised no money was attached to any of the Premier roles on offer. Other rumours include Jason Gilmore appointed Coaching Coordinator and Grant Anderson who has led the Premier Colts to its last three GF's has not been offered a role at all at the club while they have kept Rob Nowlan whose record over the past two years would be average at best

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Seems like a crazy idea for the Breakers to get rid of their Prem Colts coach. Their colts have been the shining beacon of the club for a while now.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Seems like a crazy idea for the Breakers to get rid of their Prem Colts coach. Their colts have been the shining beacon of the club for a while now.

That it has and so this decision does not make sense other than they may believe Nowlan can turn things around? It is also a challenge for the Breakers to hold on to players after the Colts and the innuendo that always flows around the Coast at this time of the year is that the Colts management encourage the lads to find greener pastures in Brisbane. In saying that, it wouldnt be a hard choice for players as those who are involved in the academy program would have to base themselves out of Brisbane or do a hell of alot of travel.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Anyone know if Vili Fainga'a is still playing in QLD for Uni? He was playing a mix of 1st grade and 2nd grade I think and had 1 cap for Tonga this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.