• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I have heard a rumour (or it might be fact) that Quade is heading to the Sunwolves for Super Rugby 2019, and won't be rolling out for the Magpies in 2019.

I am for the second time annoyed with how Quade has been treated at the Reds. Thought he really put in for Souths - off the field and on. But if this is true, thank god. Reds seriously need that issue resolved.

All the best Quade.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Whooo feeling good about my tipping last week 61% instead of my usual 25%.

Ok this week.....

1st GPS by 12. Easts have made too many mistakes for this time of the season. Jeeps too good at set piece to let this slip.

2nd Easts by 5. Wests played very well last week, however may have some self doubt when neatly put away by Brothers. Easts are the "slippery eel" of this competition (can beat anyone on their day); not the best last week, will improve.

3rd Brothers by 10. Brothers got a bit of a lesson last week; rabbits in the headlights syndrome (finals jitters). Too classy an outfit to be left out of the gf. Easts did well last week, no "drip down" Brothers to win.

4th Norths by 7. Brothers had no answers nor imagination in attack last week against a good Souths outfit; you don't learn that stuff overnight! Norths, the quite achievers have been plugging along. They can spoil the party.

5th Souths by 10. Norths won't be so lucky in this game. Souths were somewhat unlucky last week. The individual try of the year (by the Cole-Manolis THE MAN!) stopped them last week (I pulled 3 hammy's, just watching him!). Norths got home in a close one. Possibly not good enough for this Souths crew.

6th Brothers by 15. 6th grade is the hardest comp to read.... they don't play all that often, but I think Brothers can take down the gamely Souths in this one. No drip down for Souths and plenty of players on hand for Brothers, just tips it their way.

Colts 1 Bank by 5. West had a good game last week (like their 2nds team), however there may be some self doubt creeping in again with this team? Close in R2, not in R11 (Wests way both times), however the Bank has been building better momentum. The drip down will help. This will be, imo, the game of the weekend and a close one to.

Colts 2 Bond by 3. If UQ gets up from the belting last week, they are better men then just about all of us; 71-5 is not good. Bond has the drip feed and the money to buy this one (like the Kardashians buy lip gloss). Another close affair but just lean towards Bond in an upset.

Colt 3 Wynnum by 7. Close loss by Wynnum last week and are doing enough, in my eyes, to pick this one up. UQ have played very well and been consistent, but I think Wynnum have the runs and the tries to do this.

Good luck to all this week (injury free for the gf!).

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
That makes my gf's

UQ v Jeeps
Brothers v Easts
Bank v Brothers
South v Norths
Brothers v Souths
Jeeps v Brothers

Brothers v The Bank
Brothers v Bond
Brothers v Wynnum

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
QRU MEDIA RELEASE: FOX SPORTS to show 2018 Hospital Challenge Cup Final Live on FOX SPORTS

The Queensland Rugby Union (QRU) and FOX SPORTS today announced that FOX SPORTS will show the 'Triple M' Queensland Premier Rugby 2018 Hospital Challenge Cup live on FOX SPORTS MORE (507) on Sunday 19 August from 3pm.

For the first time, the 2018 Hospital Challenge Cup Final will enjoy national television coverage, meaning fans can watch Queensland's best club sides go head-to-head in the season decider live, in high definition and with no ad-breaks during play on FOX SPORTS.

The 2018 Hospital Challenge Cup Final will be at Ballymore between the University of Queensland and the winner of this weekend's preliminary final between GPS and Easts.

The QRU's Interim CEO David Hanham said: "This announcement further complements our existing partnership with FOX SPORTS. FOX SPORTS has been replaying our Hospital Challenge Cup 'Triple M' Match of the Round on Wednesday evenings for the last couple of months and their decision to take the final live shows how strongly the historical rivalry of traditional club Rugby resonates with a modern TV audience.

"The code in Queensland can only benefit from this further initiative between our two organisations, which will carry Queensland Premier Rugby's biggest game of the year into the lounge-rooms of Rugby fans across Australia."

Steve Crawley, FOX SPORTS' Head of Television said: "Club Rugby means a lot to Queensland, and we are excited to broadcast the final live. It's very much about back-to-basics as this is really attractive for FOX SPORTS."

Queensland-based FOX SPORTS Rugby Commentator and Triple M Brisbane Presenter Greg Martin will present coverage of the final alongside local commentators Martin Lippiatt and Jay Staunton, who have been presenting the Hospital Challenge Cup coverage throughout the 2018 season.

The QRU's production-company partner DoubleTake Sports - who have produced live-stream coverage of Queensland Premier Rugby since 2013 - will supply the broadcast to FOX SPORTS. DoubleTake Sports principal, Robert Matthews, is a former QRU Digital department staffer and the QRU is proud to have helped develop local talent within Queensland's Rugby community that will enable this live-broadcast on FOX SPORTS platforms.

Fans will be able to watch the replay of the preliminary final on FOX SPORTS on Wednesday evening (15 August). The channel and timings will be announced closer to the time.

History of the QRU's Hospital Challenge Cup

The original Hospital Football Challenge in 1899 was a fund-raising venture for the Brisbane Hospital. Its trophy, the magnificent Hospital Challenge Cup, remains the most desirable silverware in Queensland Club Rugby.

Since reconstitution as the Queensland Premier Rugby Competition after World War II, the Cup has been claimed a competition-leading 22-times by University of Queensland FC, followed closely by historic rivals Brothers Rugby Club, on 21.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Well didn’t Brothers 4th grade give it to me (my tips)!! Well done boys; will doubt you less after that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Anyone out at the games?? Score updates would be appreciated.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Congrats to all the teams who made Grand Finals it has really been an awesome year across all grades.
Brothers 8 teams
UQ 1 teams
GPS 2 teams
Easts 1 team
Souths 2 teams
Bond 1 team
Wynnum 1 team

Thoughts from the weekend

Congratulations to Sauce and his team they are the media unit within the QRU that really runs well great content.

My negatives
The QRU really finds new and exciting ways to shoot themselves in the foot trying to charge for Saturday for 6th to 4th grade and colts 2 and 3. It honestly makes no sense to gouge your greatest supporters. By all means charge for the Premier grade day as it is decent entertainment.

I actually wonder if they go to club games. Every club except Brothers does not charge for entry provides decent food and beer. It is not that hard people. I would get rid of all the security it does not make it a pleasant game day experience and I do not think it is necessary. I saw them kick some kids off the hill I think they might have been enjoying themselves to much.

I would also suggest that the QRU needs to get the finals eligibility sorted out at the start of the season. Put some very easy to understand rules in place and apply them. All clubs have been guilty in the past. This year the most obvious is the Brothers Colts 1 team who are by far the best team in the comp getting some premier grade boys back who I am led to believe did not start for them all year. The Bond Colts 2 team is very similar to the Colts 1 and the Souths Prem Grade had a few also late exemptions. IMHO it does not do the the competition any justice.

Reactions: vac

legaleagle

Herbert Moran (7)
Going to be a great week down at Yuko. I know the boys are really keen to make amends for last year with a few of them getting ready to hang up the boots after very long and distinguished careers in the blue and green. Mitch King was unstoppable yesterday as was Tuttle. If they play like that again this Sunday it's going to be an epic match. Can't wait for the GF. Herbie is already rubbing his hands together about all the merch he will be selling this week.

Reactions: vac

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Congrats to all the teams who made Grand Finals it has really been an awesome year across all grades.
Brothers 8 teams
UQ 1 teams
GPS 2 teams
Easts 1 team
Souths 2 teams
Bond 1 team
Wynnum 1 team

Thoughts from the weekend

Congratulations to Sauce and his team they are the media unit within the QRU that really runs well great content.

My negatives
The QRU really finds new and exciting ways to shoot themselves in the foot trying to charge for Saturday for 6th to 4th grade and colts 2 and 3. It honestly makes no sense to gouge your greatest supporters. By all means charge for the Premier grade day as it is decent entertainment.

I actually wonder if they go to club games. Every club except Brothers does not charge for entry provides decent food and beer. It is not that hard people. I would get rid of all the security it does not make it a pleasant game day experience and I do not think it is necessary. I saw them kick some kids off the hill I think they might have been enjoying themselves to much.

I would also suggest that the QRU needs to get the finals eligibility sorted out at the start of the season. Put some very easy to understand rules in place and apply them. All clubs have been guilty in the past. This year the most obvious is the Brothers Colts 1 team who are by far the best team in the comp getting some premier grade boys back who I am led to believe did not start for them all year. The Bond Colts 2 team is very similar to the Colts 1 and the Souths Prem Grade had a few also late exemptions. IMHO it does not do the the competition any justice.

There are 2018 Competition Rules in place (see the bottom of he Reds Rugby/Premier Rugby/Overview page for the link), the problem is their application. The Souths exemption for Paice could not be granted under the extant Rules (outside the Management Committee granted authority) and so the QRU broke the Rules in that instance. They need to answer to the Clubs for that. Compliance with the eligibility rules is more difficulty to police given the numbers of players and complexity, and I am not sure who is ultimately responsible for the checking and determination. Does anyone know? Is there a software program that does this automatically by reviewing all Rugby Link entries for the season against posted team lists for finals, with the QRU holding the responsibility for checking and advice to Clubs; or are Clubs supposed to self check (honesty system) and opposition Clubs supposed to check the opposition teams and register complaints if applicable?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There are 2018 Competition Rules in place (see the bottom of he Reds Rugby/Premier Rugby/Overview page for the link), the problem is their application. The Souths exemption for Paice could not be granted under the extant Rules (outside the Management Committee granted authority) and so the QRU broke the Rules in that instance. They need to answer to the Clubs for that. Compliance with the eligibility rules is more difficulty to police given the numbers of players and complexity, and I am not sure who is ultimately responsible for the checking and determination. Does anyone know? Is there a software program that does this automatically by reviewing all Rugby Link entries for the season against posted team lists for finals, with the QRU holding the responsibility for checking and advice to Clubs; or are Clubs supposed to self check (honesty system) and opposition Clubs supposed to check the opposition teams and register complaints if applicable?

I heard QRU rules Paice ineligible but the appeals committee overruled.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)

Didn’t help them all that much (having Paice); and I think in semi finals time adding 1 or two players probably won’t make a large enough difference anyway.

The outcomes of most finals footy comes down to who wants to win on the day or who plays better on the day as a team. Not saying individual performances aren’t important, but they usually don’t make or break a win (unless they are current international rep players).

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
So Nella didn’t make a difference for brothers in 16? Smith twins aren’t making an impact for GPS? CFS for Souths in 15?

Of course 1 or 2 players can make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.