• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Quade's a Rolls Royce you don't need him running around in your first trial in my honest opinion.

If I was coach of Souths I'd hold him back a week or two.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think the QRU would be looking for reasons not to have to pay him. If he's been "sent back to his club" I'd think he'd have to play. He looks incredibly fit on his Insta.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sorry if I missed this elsewhere, but I noticed Souths trial schedule:

GAME SCHEDULE Trial v Wests, Saturday 3 March
1st Grade (was Premier Grade): 5.00pm
2nd Grade (was Premier Reserve): 3.40pm
3rd Grade (was 1st Grade): 2.20pm
Colts 1 (was Premier Colts): 1.00pm
Colts 2/3 (was Colts 1/2): 11.50am
5th/4th Grade (was 2nd/3rd Grade): 10.05am

Are we reverting back to 1st, 2nd grade etc?

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Yes we are Reg

As a conspiracy theorist said to me it relates to Logan being kicked out of the Premier comp. By not calling Reserve Grde and Colts 1 "Premier" they are keeping their word.

It will be interesting to see how many turn up to Chipsy Wood tomorrow with the prospect of Quade playing for free. I feel sorry for the Reds tonight also with a Friday night game early in the season when Junior training is in full swing ouch.

BORED

Herbert Moran (7)
How was trial form for your club yesterday?

Norths vs Easts
25 - 12 Easts way
Lots of Reds Players (who didn't play on Friday Nights) on show. 5-5 at Half Time
Both teams played scrappy (1st Game) Rugby with lots of substitutions used.
Both Teams will be better for the Run

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Brothers v GPS.

Great (but very hot) day at Brothers on the weekend. Watched a little bit of 3rd grade, all of second grade and most of 1st grade. Very competitive afternoon, with Bothers second grade having a good win (24-10) and 1st grade probably just being pipped at the post (score 17-12??).

Contrast in the age of the players, with GPS mostly older players and Brothers running quite a few younger players. In second grade there are probably 4 to 5 20 year olds running around, whilst in 1st grade there was about the same number of fresh young faces. Brothers seem to have taken advantage of the good showing in the Prem. colts over the last few years and have retained most of them.

Whilst the 1st grade game was fairly scabby, it was very competitive and at a fairly good standard given it is the first real trial of the season. The 2nd grade game was also of a good standard and free flowing.

Both clubs (considering others will be included) I'm predicting, will be at the forefront of their respective competitions this year. Good luck to both. Just as a side interest Brothers will be playing a Christchurch team, in a trail on Wednesday night (2nd and 3rd grade) and then again this Saturday (1st and 2nd grade).

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Crickey, I hope that the Quade story doesn't play as often as it has in the past on these forums. Too often spoken about, not on the field yet!, and not the future of QPR, the Reds or the Wallabies. Yeah if he makes the field great, but please the future lays elsewhere.

BORED

Herbert Moran (7)
Easts vs Souths in a Trial this Saturday (Easts home game)

Norths play Wests at Norths

Should be another good hit-out for both of these teams

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Any thoughts on a top 4?

I think you would have to pencil in Uni & Souths(Quade factor)

Then question mark over GPS & Sunnybank.

Can the Bulldogs improve?

I think Brothers & Easts will both be better in 2018 than 2017.

Sorry to Norths & Bond but can't see 2018 being that different but they will have their moments.

Reactions: vac

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Top 4, (in no particular order and unknown starters):

1st Grade: GPS, Sunnybank, UQ & Brothers.

Dark horses will be Wests.

2nd Grade: Sunnybank, GPS, Brothers & Easts.

Dark horses will be Wests (again).

3rd Grade: Sunnybank, GPS, Brothers & UQ.

4th Grade: Souths, GPS, Sunnybank & Brothers

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Top 4, (in no particular order and unknown starters):

1st Grade: GPS, Sunnybank, UQ & Brothers.

Dark horses will be Wests.

2nd Grade: Sunnybank, GPS, Brothers & Easts.

Dark horses will be Wests (again).

3rd Grade: Sunnybank, GPS, Brothers & UQ.

4th Grade: Souths, GPS, Sunnybank & Brothers

Gee Sage you are better than me I thought I was being brave/bold with my first grade comments let alone the lower grades but fair play to you!!

It was extraordinary that Sunnybank got knocked off in the Reggies GF last year - I think they went through the H&A season undefeated last year.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Gee Sage you are better than me I thought I was being brave/bold with my first grade comments let alone the lower grades but fair play to you!!

It was extraordinary that Sunnybank got knocked off in the Reggies GF last year - I think they went through the H&A season undefeated last year.

Nope the bulldogs defeated them in Round 2.

Very unfortunate for bulldogs premier reserve grade to miss out as they won 8 of their last 9 games. Tied with brothers in competition points but brothers advance due to a 1 point difference in for and against & the crappy thing about the hole situation was the bulldogs played at 150pm on last round whilst brothers kicked off at 320pm meaning the filth knew how many points they needed to advance. (Last round of the competition should have all grades kick off at same time IMO)

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Interesting to see AJ Alatimu back with the Force. Big gap for GPS.

How many of the other Perth guys have gone back with him?

Possibly that premiership window has closed for GPS with AJ's departure.

Whilst on Perth I saw recently that Tim Sampson was appointed to be the Western Force coach.

legaleagle

Herbert Moran (7)
Never say Never Bulldog, We have lost most of the guys who came over from Perth, Injury and other opportunities in NZ and back in WA can't be helped but we have picked up some very handy players to cover the losses. Losing Winks to the Shute Shield also was a shame but it's a great opportunity for him. It's great to have the Smith Brothers back, they will be great for the club. We have plenty of depth across Firsts and Seconds and the culture is back where it was a few years ago when Arnold was in charge. We are all very excited for the start of the season.
Top 4 in no particular order GPS, Sunnybank, Bond and Wests. UQ will struggle with a very big changing of the guard with numerous senior players moving on and Brothers and Souths will be stronger than 2017 but will just miss the 4. Norths to start strong but finish with the spoon.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
I think GPS kept the most important one which is Elwee. Such a great guy and obviously a half decent coach. Havent heard anything about Laione but i noticed on his FB him flying somewhere a couple of months ago and it says he lives in Auckland now so hopefully he's with an Mitre10 Cup team now.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Never say Never Bulldog, We have lost most of the guys who came over from Perth, Injury and other opportunities in NZ and back in WA can't be helped but we have picked up some very handy players to cover the losses. Losing Winks to the Shute Shield also was a shame but it's a great opportunity for him. It's great to have the Smith Brothers back, they will be great for the club. We have plenty of depth across Firsts and Seconds and the culture is back where it was a few years ago when Arnold was in charge. We are all very excited for the start of the season.
Top 4 in no particular order GPS, Sunnybank, Bond and Wests. UQ will struggle with a very big changing of the guard with numerous senior players moving on and Brothers and Souths will be stronger than 2017 but will just miss the 4. Norths to start strong but finish with the spoon.

Id be shocked if Bond finished top 4.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Did not having those Perth guys swann into Premier grade last year and then leave the club disenfranchise guys that would otherwise play Prems at GPS.

Gee that premiership window can open and close quickly!!

Status
Not open for further replies.