• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
I would think that Jake Strachan from Souths would be in the mix at 10, and Phoenix Hunt at 9 for Easts has looked good. Eli Pilz seems to mainly play 10 when Hunt is available, then go into 9 when he is not. Is Mataitini (who you have in the Country side) the Norths winger who is quite lean with big hair and really quick? I've been impressed with him.

I can't see JOC (James O'Connor) playing NRC, it looks like the WBs have got him lined up for Japan so suspect he will get a run in gold in the next test or so.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
And it has taken 17 rounds but the top four is set with the results in round 18 only to impact on final minor premiership positions, the finals matchups in week 1 will be:
Major: Bros v GPS;
Minor: Uni v Easts.

Interestingly if Uni & Easts go down next week then both 3rd & 4th will go through with 9 wins - lowest number of wins to qualify in quite some time - obviously an indication of how close it has been between 3rd & 7th spots all season.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Did I hear that this was to be ET's last season at Souths - I hope not because I think he can coach despite the fact that the Magpies faded out in 2019.

The coaching highlight has been the run to premiership glory in 2015.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Great game down @ Crosby Park, GPS absolute shocked Brothers in the first half with some absolutely cracking tries. Hegarty a real stand out, controlled the game well.

Talk about a tale of two halves, the Brethren were blody excellent in the 2nd starving GPS of the ball. How good are Wilson and McReight, another great game from those boys. McReight is an absolute beast. Take nothing away from the mighty gallopers pack, geez they had to get through a mountain of work and pulled off some massive hits, Kibble with some rippers. I really hope Richards sees some NRC time, he's not the biggest bloke around but makes up for it in ticker (just like his old man).

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Great game down @ Crosby Park, GPS absolute shocked Brothers in the first half with some absolutely cracking tries. Hegarty a real stand out, controlled the game well.

Talk about a tale of two halves, the Brethren were blody excellent in the 2nd starving GPS of the ball. How good are Wilson and McReight, another great game from those boys. McReight is an absolute beast. Take nothing away from the mighty gallopers pack, geez they had to get through a mountain of work and pulled off some massive hits, Kibble with some rippers. I really hope Richards sees some NRC time, he's not the biggest bloke around but makes up for it in ticker (just like his old man).

Disappointing inconsistencies in refereeing. Very obvious example at 63:50 when Brothers off feet over the ball with one then two off feet lying on the GPS side of the ball then a third and fourth resting on top sealing off while a fifth steals the ball. No penalty, however GPS continually penalised in second half at breakdown (while on feet over the ball) allowing Brothers back into the game.
Not sure about the hype over U20 players - they're good but not the best getting around in the Open Premier competition. Guys like Wihongi, Lynch, Morrey, Gicquel all in a class above. Kibble dynamic as well yesterday. I reckon GPS backrow collectively outplayed Brothers backrow in last night's game.

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Disappointing inconsistencies in refereeing. Very obvious example at 63:50 when Brothers off feet over the ball with one then two off feet lying on the GPS side of the ball then a third and fourth resting on top sealing off while a fifth steals the ball. No penalty, however GPS continually penalised in second half at breakdown (while on feet over the ball) allowing Brothers back into the game.
Not sure about the hype over U20 players - they're good but not the best getting around in the Open Premier competition. Guys like Wihongi, Lynch, Morrey, Gicquel all in a class above. Kibble dynamic as well yesterday. I reckon GPS backrow collectively outplayed Brothers backrow in last night's game.

Agree about the Brothers back row - good but got a way to go yet. Give me Morrey any day at No. 6 and Gicquel at No.7.

J

JeepsTragic

Its a bit disappointing that RA has demanded that Campbell Magnay go back and play club rugby but he is only allowed to play 3 games before finals. So GPS is expected to disrupt its misfiring backline to please RA in the run up to the finals and then they have to change things around in the finals. If RA are going to demand that fringe players get game time then they should be instructing the QRU to allow these guys to play out the season - finals included.

Will Ben Mowen be allowed to play finals for Easts? He is in a different but similar position to Magnay except RA has had no involvement in his returning to club rugby.

I could understand if a club is bringing in somebody who has never played at the club and has no affiliation but both Mowen and Magnay have deep connections to their respective clubs. It would be different if Tom English turned up and wanted to play Brisbane club rugby because he has no ties to any Brisbane club and it could be seen as somebody trying to buy a premiership.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)

I am the most one eyed GPS man out there, McReight was head and shoulders better than anyone on the park. Gicquell was very very good indeed got the match saving turnover, but the filth forwards in particular Mcreight dusted us up in that second half & got them back into the match & almost won it.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
I must be a bit of an outlier here, state school educated from a league following family. Never been to nor seen a GPS match.
Just love watching and supporting the club I played juniors for, which incidentally helped convert my father to the bright side.
Queensland Reds and the Wallabies.

No Penguin, your most welcome here, just have to have a passion for rugby and an opinion, then this is your canvass.

BORED

Herbert Moran (7)
I would think that Jake Strachan from Souths would be in the mix at 10, and Phoenix Hunt at 9 for Easts has looked good. Eli Pilz seems to mainly play 10 when Hunt is available, then go into 9 when he is not. Is Mataitini (who you have in the Country side) the Norths winger who is quite lean with big hair and really quick? I've been impressed with him.

I can't see JOC (James O'Connor) playing NRC, it looks like the WBs have got him lined up for Japan so suspect he will get a run in gold in the next test or so.

I have been out to quite a few of Easts Games this year (you could almost say I'm a supporter) and I hear the stories of the GPS Scrum and the Wests, Norths amd Uni forwards and how there forwaards are NRC material. Watching Easts dominate these teams scrums I have a bit of a chuckle to myself. :)

Over the past 5-6 weeks, I haven't seen a team dominate the Easts scrum and now they are starting to use it as a weapon (both GPS games against Easts were a good exanmple, win to Easts and a loss with the last play.) . The only member ever mentioned is Van Nyk. He is a great player, no doubt, but he has some tallent around him. Easts will suprise a few teams with their pack in the finals. Loosing Frampton (broken ancle) is a huge loss in their back but they are still finding a way to win.

Reactions: vac

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Tipping ladder getting tight with 8 games left to play.

Rugby Follower 47
Beer Baron 46
Jets 45
Nomad 44
Rugby Reg 44
Keeno 41
Pick n drive 41
Robbitybob 41
Happyman 40
RAF 40
Sage Too 40
nmpc 39
Cam Goddard 38
Southernx 38
GirtbySea 37
Hound 37
Dark Shark 36
DB 36
Getwithme 35
Beerad 31
Paty305 31
jimmy.crouch 25

Reactions: vac

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I am the most one eyed GPS man out there, McReight was head and shoulders better than anyone on the park. Gicquell was very very good indeed got the match saving turnover, but the filth forwards in particular Mcreight dusted us up in that second half & got them back into the match & almost won it.

There was about a 20min period to start the second half where Brothers could have committed armed robbery and the ref would have blown a penalty in their favor. That, as well as a strong forward resurgence from Brothers and lack of aggression from GPS really turned the game back into a contest. Glad the boys could hold them off.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)

Yeah I'd agree with that only 18 mins into the game, and Jeeps have got the rub of the green well n truly; Jeeps #4 with plenty of illegal play (offside in line-out, taking out the 9 & high tackle); forward pass for a try (even though it was good), offside (in front of the kicker for another try (fairly marginal though and a good finish)......mate there are errors from the ref's, and I think you got the best of it. So it's poor form to blame the ref's, particularly if your trying to say they favoured one side, my advice to you is just wear it.

On your second point I'd prefer to have Wilson, McReight and Woods (if and when he will be able to start again this season) playing for me then all the one's you mentioned. Not dispelling those players you named, they are all good footballers, however, they are fair more experienced that the Brothers boys, who are 20. Why do I prefer them? because they are fresh and young, yeah they'll make mistakes, yeah they may take the wrong options, but they are adding a dimension that I don't think any other team in QPR club has at the moment (even though Jeeps is a great competitor for it). The HYPE is that these young men came very close to giving Australia their first junior world cup since 2010 (and were much closer than the 2010 team). The HYPE is (if you watch enough of the footy) they try their asses off every game and make an impact just about every week. The HYPE is that their our future (as is potnetially Kibble and possibly Gicquel) and I think in 2023 (with hopefully other young and older talent) bill may come home. So that's the HYPE. Yeah there's arguably better back-rowers out there, at this point in time; I'll just take these 3 thanks. And we will wait and see who has the greatest impact on Australian rugby over the next 5 or so years (in absence of injury).

On the game, congratulations to Jeeps (first and the undefeated second grade); a great effort, by a club flying high over the last few years. I'm reasonably happy as a Brothers supporter at the moment, even though we didn't get those wins. They have come close enough in both games and I'd rather loose these games then a semi or pf. I don't know if Brothers will win the gf or semi's this year (I didn't really expect it this season) however, they are learning all the time about their opponents and are close enough to be a show. It's all making the competition competitive and strong, which is great.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Agree about the Brothers back row - good but got a way to go yet. Give me Morrey any day at No. 6 and Gicquel at No.7.

As stated above, yeah may argue the point today. How about in 3 years time? You did say any day.

J

JeepsTragic

Just watched the GPS v Brothers game again on the live stream. Pretty ordinary referring of the scrums especially in the 2nd half. When Brothers got a good hit on the ref gave them a penalty but when GPS got the hit on, he repacked the scrum. The yellow card he gave Kibble was pretty weak given he was allowing Brothers to not release or was pinging GPS as soon as a tackle was made. Without taking anything away from Brothers in the 2nd half, they were certainly assisted by a poor performance by the Ref.

I only hope the competition gets Murphy and Berry back to adjudicate the finals because there is nobody I have seen this year who warrants a finals match.

Have to say however that the Reds loose forward situation looks pretty health with Wilson, McReight and Kibble.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Just watched the GPS v Brothers game again on the live stream. Pretty ordinary referring of the scrums especially in the 2nd half. When Brothers got a good hit on the ref gave them a penalty but when GPS got the hit on, he repacked the scrum. The yellow card he gave Kibble was pretty weak given he was allowing Brothers to not release or was pinging GPS as soon as a tackle was made. Without taking anything away from Brothers in the 2nd half, they were certainly assisted by a poor performance by the Ref.

I only hope the competition gets Murphy and Berry back to adjudicate the finals because there is nobody I have seen this year who warrants a finals match.

Have to say however that the Reds loose forward situation looks pretty health with Wilson, McReight and Kibble.

Yeah probably agree, but I think both sides got the rough calls.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Had to laugh at Gicquel trying to put his headgear on for like 4 phases, then after the try, him and McReight have a bit of push and shove. Maybe they were discussing who had the better headgear?

On the back line, I think Jeeps didn't struggle too much; looked pretty impressive to me. I think if anything, Brothers have struggled all year with outside back combinations every since the 13 went back to Sydney. I know you had Magney dropped in, but no lack of direction or intent.

Jason Crosell

Bob McCowan (2)

Agreed it was poor but I am with Sage it went both ways really. To your second point, Cronan & Pook seem to refereeing the grade pretty easily and teams know what they will get from those blokes and I wouldn't be opposed to one of them getting a crack in the finals. I do agree having Murphy or a Bez would be great but can Murph do Brothers without there being drama.

McReight could 100% be considered for a wallabies call up now. I am all for taking time to let player mature but that kid has got talent to burn!

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I think its fair to say when you've got two teams stacked with great on-ball players and tough forwards, it was always going to be a scrappy and hard game to referee as neither team wanted to give an inch at the breakdown, which is the most heavily penalized zone.

Will be interesting to see what GPS do this weekend, whether they rest some players or try and build combinations. The backline is no where near settled and the forwards will be bothered that they switched for a large portion of the second half, probably need some redemption.

Status
Not open for further replies.