• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Guess that means no streaming of today’s main games ?

Anyone know if it’s streamed anywhere else?

EDIT : it’s streamed through You Tube for those others out there who like me have a little trouble navigating this modern world .

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
What a weekend of rugby. Two great games of rugby.

Tipping is down to three of us with two games to go.

Beer Baron 50
Jets 50
Rugby Follower 50
Nomad 47
Robbitybob 45
Keeno 44
Rugby Reg 44
Sage Too 44
Happyman 43
Pick n drive 43
Cam Goddard 41
GirtbySea 41
RAF 41
DB 40
nmpc 40
Hound 39
Southernx 38
Dark Shark 36
Getwithme 35
Paty305 34
Beerad 32
jimmy.crouch 30
Hennaz 24
new recruit_ brisbane 17
eldiablo 13
manwithcaninhand 10
Phatmic 9
Shane T 9
Lovemyclubfooty 8
East Coast Aces 6
Jeeper 6
David 4
heavy unit 4
Loveclubrugby 4
FigJam 3
J Cole 3
Magpie for me 3
Mr Grump 3
Reds 3
Stellies 3
Throbber 2
Bulldog 1
Will 1
roberts rugby 0

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Geez Uni were red hot yesterday. GPS will be up against it.

In saying that, I still think they should go into the game as favorites, especially if Kibble is cleared to played after the training head knock. I think his loss was massive against Brothers - having him on the bench to come on at the end in tandem with Giquel would have been great against a dominate Brothers backrow.

I heard Brothers won every finals game they played in over the weekend. That is pretty amazing. I know a lot of the history at the club and even though I'm heavily a Galloper, it is always good to see when a club rallies together and accomplishes things at a club level and not just focusing on a few teams, so kudos to them.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
^^^^^

Not putting down the achievement of Uni on the weekend, but Easts are still not in that finals "mode" at all.
I think Jeeps will rightfully be favourites and think they will win this weekend.

Great effort by Brothers, however I think I heard the commentator say that they lost 1 game on the weekend (??).
Even so a fantastic effort by the club. The first grade game was worthy of a grand final and possibly the highest level
that I have seen since the Jeeps v Brothers game in the second last round. It's going to be a great finals series.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Went to Ballymore on Saturday and watched the 6th, 5th and part of the 4th grade (all major semi's). Some great footy and goes to show the enjoyment of rugby. Some of the footy was extremely good and you would swear you were watching higher grades.

The result to watch is in sixth grade to see whether Brothers 1 v Brothers 2 in the gf.

J

JeepsTragic

Wow. All bloody Brothers in the last 20. Blew us away with the 2 quick meat pies.

Gutted but at least we live to fight another day.

Surely Wilson is Qld #8 next year. Immense.

Spot on. Wilson was a standout but McReight was not far behind. Brothers controlled the ball exceptionally and didn't really give GPS a sniff. The possession stat must have read 80/20 to Brothers, and off the back of that they deserved their win.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Will have to watch the replay of the Uni game.

You're right Phil, we definitely missed Kibble though the Pencil and Matty Gicquel played their hearts out.

We punished them out wide but when they held the ball in the channel they certainly made it extremely tough. McReight, Tupou and Wilson were like bloody steam trains smashing into us.

What a great standard of rugby I've seen over the last few weeks. The top 4 sides have been excellent, playing ambitious and positive football.

Next couple of weeks should be awesome & if we can translate this form into the NRC, the other teams better watch out, the 2 QLD sides should be very competitive.

EDIT: These games have been WAY better to watch than most of the Super rugby this season.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
No disrespect to any Reds players who've worn the No.8 jersey over the last few years, but if I'm demonstrating how a good modern 8 should play the game, I'm showing people Harry Wilson's highlights from that finals game yesterday.

He was everywhere in attack and defense and had a great balance of link play, power play and athletic ability. It was really classy. So much more to that display than just ability, a lot of smart plays as well.

B

Bobby Sands

Where does Josh Collins rank in terms of prem grade wingers?

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
That's why I have been raving about the Brothers back-row. I probably have an advantage of seeing them live a lot more than others, but they are pretty good. Think the UQ and Jeeps back-row are also good, but a lill different.

The number of times they run (Brothers Back-row), close to the rucks, and find the opposition wanting is remarkable, Then they back-up and do some pilfering and defense of their own. I think they wore out Gicquel and Richards (and Kibble in round 17?); haven't seen a person (Gicquel that is), do as much tackling as in round 17 and last weekend. He would be buggered!!

However, unlike most of you, I DON'T want to see McReight and Wilson just waltz into the Reds. Want to see who retires after this World Cup, first, and then see what positions are available. Think they would be better served to be the "shadows" of the first choice current Reds and give them 3-5 games next year. Better doing their apprenticeship in hard club rugby then throwing them to the "wolves" in hard Super XV. Maybe the following year (2021) they may be ready for regular Super rugby, then potentially the Wallaby's in 2022, if they are good enough. A bit of tempering first me thinks

B

Bobby Sands

That's why I have been raving about the Brothers back-row. I probably have an advantage of seeing them live a lot more than others, but they are pretty good. Think the UQ and Jeeps back-row are also good, but a lill different.

The number of times they run (Brothers Back-row), close to the rucks, and find the opposition wanting is remarkable, Then they back-up and do some pilfering and defense of their own. I think they wore out Gicquel and Richards (and Kibble in round 17?); haven't seen a person (Gicquel that is), do as much tackling as in round 17 and last weekend. He would be buggered!!

However, unlike most of you, I DON'T want to see McReight and Wilson just waltz into the Reds. Want to see who retires after this World Cup, first, and then see what positions are available. Think they would be better served to be the "shadows" of the first choice current Reds and give them 3-5 games next year. Better doing their apprenticeship in hard club rugby then throwing them to the "wolves" in hard Super XV. Maybe the following year (2021) they may be ready for regular Super rugby, then potentially the Wallaby's in 2022, if they are good enough. A bit of tempering first me thinks

I’m all for transitioning them, but ultimately their form & output will dictate where they play. I think they will both be too good to ignore fairly soon.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Will have to watch the replay of the Uni game.

You're right Phil, we definitely missed Kibble though the Pencil and Matty Gicquel played their hearts out.

We punished them out wide but when they held the ball in the channel they certainly made it extremely tough. McReight, Tupou and Wilson were like bloody steam trains smashing into us.

What a great standard of rugby I've seen over the last few weeks. The top 4 sides have been excellent, playing ambitious and positive football.

Next couple of weeks should be awesome & if we can translate this form into the NRC, the other teams better watch out, the 2 QLD sides should be very competitive.

EDIT: These games have been WAY better to watch than most of the Super rugby this season.

Uni were hard to watch as an Easts supporter - they were just way too good at turning opportunities into success. Kudos to them, not the result I wanted but they were very good.

Brothers v GPS was a competitive game until late in it when Brothers took control. Some very good performances all round.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Get what you’re saying Sage in terms of these young guns just waltzing right into the Reds but seriously these guys will only get stronger. McReight and Wilson are destined for greatness. The Reds have IMO signed the right players at the right time with the proof showing yesterday. The positive energy around these contracted Reds players is the best I have seen in years. The old recruits are welcoming these young guns. Like or hate Thorny, positive change is here. The results will come in 2020.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Just had another watch of the game and thought Reuben Wall and Josh Flook both had games beyond their experience. Reuben was under pressure all day, partly due poor protection by the forwards and partly due to Jeeps laying in the ruck a fair bit. Must of been several times when he had to step over a Jeeps player to pass. Old Heads v Young Heads; old heads "do it until you are penalised (took until the 57th minute for that); young heads => not talking to the ref and the captain not asking the ref to watch the situation. Both the Jeeps 5 & 8 were fairly frequent contributors here.

Fair bit of what looked like coming through the ruck to tackle the half as well; but Reuben saw his way through it all.

He also had some problems with serving from the line-outs. Jeeps were not leaving the gap and "crapping" the Brothers throw, which provided opportunities to scrag him fairly often. The line-outs by Jeeps in general looked fairly disorganised and were lucky with a few throws. In the second half you could see Brothers taking a further half step away from Jeeps. One for the memory bank.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Where does Josh Collins rank in terms of prem grade wingers?

He had a blinder; one of the main reasons Jeeps were kept so close in the game. I haven't seen too much of him, but his pace and his ability to sniff gaps and make breaks was a revelation. Just have to see him when there is a defense that is "up on him" and see what his abilities are like then. However on the weekend he had a great game.

Actually on that point, Jeeps didn't score too many tries from multiple phases, which could be a bit of a warning sign for them. Brothers on the other hand built mostly on multiple phases; a good sign I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.