• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Where do the players live? Is the draw to Brothers more geographic as much as anything? Close to the airport too which is handy when there's so much travel involved.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Where do the players live? Is the draw to Brothers more geographic as much as anything? Close to the airport too which is handy when there's so much travel involved.

Wests is the closest ground to the CBD.

Closest rivalry would be UQ to Souths (albeit it’s got the brown snake between it)- closest rivalry by car would be Uq/West or Norths/Brothers

My best guess is Probably a club like Easts would be the shortest travel to other clubs. Souths and Sunnybank not too far away and it’s also a inner city rugby club so it could get to UQ, Wests and Brothers quite easily

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Thing I am looking forward to most is an actual bench/stadium seat at brothers. Currently it’s such a horrible place to watch rugby as seats with a backrest is very limited and the sight lines are not good in those seats

What I am not looking forward too is brothers having this bit of key infrastructure as a recruiting tool for a club that already recruits exceptionally

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Looks super schmick

Not a great place to watch but I always enjoyed playing there. Up there with Souths on my preferred grounds to play on away from home. Wests and the 'bank my least preferred.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Looks good. Only gave the document a quick perusal, what stage of development/approval are they in? Brothers have alumni in pretty much every major industry and government department in Brisbane, I wouldn't be surprised to see this fast tracked.

I think it's great, Brothers have a great junior rugby program with lots of supporters, this will make it much easier on them as it has been mentioned the grounds aren't great for viewing currently.

Speaking wholly as an outsider (although I have family ties to Brothers) - does getting a schmick new ground and facilities weaken that age old Brothers aura/motto of Us vs them? My understanding is they have never had the nicest fields or facilities but banded together as a tough bunch of pricks. If these plans go ahead they'll have one of the nicest rugby setups in SEQ and teams will be dying to get a chance to play here, with lots of away supporters coming along as well no doubt to check the place out!

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
does getting a schmick new ground and facilities weaken that age old Brothers aura/motto of Us vs them? My understanding is they have never had the nicest fields or facilities but banded together as a tough bunch of pricks. If these plans go ahead they'll have one of the nicest rugby setups in SEQ and teams will be dying to get a chance to play here, with lots of away supporters coming along as well no doubt to check the place out!

Go old school on the visitors change rooms (hose them out in the morning so everything is wet, turn the hot water off etc) plenty of ways you can still piss other teams off.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
It would be great if all the clubs put up their training squads on their websites so that we could get a gauge of who has ended up where - particularly this year when it's alleged that there has been mass evacuation from Chipsy Wood.

I am not writing the Magpies off by any stretch of the imagination.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
It would be great if all the clubs put up their training squads on their websites so that we could get a gauge of who has ended up where - particularly this year when it's alleged that there has been mass evacuation from Chipsy Wood.

I think this is a laughable and unreasonable request...

You want every team to post training squads on their website?

This is grassroots rugby with grassroot IT departments. I think you can hold out another couple of weeks until we see some squads in trial matches

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)

They would not be pinning all their hopes on the up and coming Colts who the current coach was in charge of last year when they won Colts 1 & 2 premierships, would they?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

I don't quite think that would work.

Over my years I've been to pre-season training and seen good footy players show up for 2 sessions and bail, retired blokes pop up after week 2, blokes change clubs mid-training block due to a backlog etc. I just don't think each club has the capacity to evolve and update an accurate list of blokes turning up to training.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
He has been teasing Wests with this for a few years to my knowledge - I guess they finally got their man. They also have Gave Luka I believe.

On Hamish Stewart - it’s his lively hood - if he thinks it’s better for him to be at one club (on the field or off) then good on him. At the end of the day his career might depend on it.

Both he and Gav would be hard pills to swollen for Bond though - both fully educated while barley playing a game for bond now off to other clubs when they might actually play some club rugby.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Super rugby last round is 30 May with the high hopes of finals contention. Xplorer Prems fixtures not up. When does Round one start? Trying to work out how many games the Reds players will be able to play in Prems.