1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Schools Trial Games and Selections 2009

Discussion in 'Schoolboy Rugby' started by RugbyReg, Jun 25, 2009.

1. RugbyReg George Smith (75)

Don't know if I should use the Reds logo, as many will end up elsewhere. ;)

Interesting sponsor by the way.

2. RugbyReg George Smith (75)

a link to it all is:

http://www.qru.com.au/library/news/2009/090624_qld_schoolboy_trials,68975.html

ok, some questions:

is Chris Nasiganiyavi (IGS) Ratu's brother?

is Nigel Genia (BBC) Will's brother? I assume he is, same school right?

again, is Steven Pocock (ACGS) David's Brother? Again, same school.

Interesting approach to reserves by each team. I guess it makes a 3rd GPS team.

Where's this Michael Lynagh from Ashgrove I heard so much about many years ago? Has he left now? Never amounted to the hype?
  3. formeropenside Guest

Surely its sad that many will end up elsewhere?
  4. rugbywhisperer Banned

i believe so, Yes, Yes, the third team is a novel innovation and can't answer re Lynagh but after the initial media sprouting nothing much happened.

Are you presenting yourself at any of the games this weekend?
  5. RugbyReg George Smith (75)

I'd love to but I have a national championships starting this weekend, so my attention will be there.
  6. Lee Grant John Eales (66)

Please explain Nod.

And yep - can confirm that the Pococks are brothers.
  7. RugbyReg George Smith (75)

Lee, just that I actually work for a sport (different from rugby) and that sport has a national championships starting this weekend, which we (QLD) are hosting. So I'll be busy with that.
  8. rugbywhisperer Banned

Rathe feeble for a rugby stalwart but a job is a job I suppose. We need someone to pay the taxes.
    I won't be there today but maybe a report might be forthcoming somehow -
  9. TOCC Guest

another brother perhaps, Matt Lucas from GT? brother of Ben Lucas?
  10. rugbywhisperer Banned

Correct,

also try Will Slipper in GPS II - brother of James
  11. TOCC Guest

Just noticed what you said about the sponsor Noddy, that is rather odd, apparently Sunnybank Community & Sports Club is about the third biggest club(revenue) in QLD these days due to the local asian population and the pokies.

Its a nice little cash cow for SBRU these days, funded there new rugby field and clubhouse, as well funding to establish a new club at Browns Plains and they are also providing funding for a new gym at SBRU.
  12. AussieDominance Trevor Allan (34)

Waita Setu (NC) - Brother of NRL player Lagi Setu?
  13. RugbyReg George Smith (75)

I thought Lagi was a Ippy Grammer boy? But that means nothing in the age of scholarships.
  14. TOCC Guest

Mitchell Felsman (fullback) is a real player to keep a eye on, seems to have a lot of talent and super quick
  15. RugbyReg George Smith (75)

16. AussieDominance Trevor Allan (34)

Is the QLD 2's bench the stronger bench so they can get more game time? or don't they do that in QLD schools sides?

And QLD 1's the weaker bench???
  17. rugbywhisperer Banned

I think that the Qld I bench is the stronger of the 2. It's a fine line - there are actually a few surprises in the 2 benches but rest assured Qld will play all bench players.
  18. Lee Grant John Eales (66)

Naturally I thought that you were a contestant in an Iron Man comp.

Qld Schools

Who are the guns? These guys come to mind:

3. Paul Alo Emile
    6. Jordan Tuapou
    7. Liam Gill
    13. Joel Faulkner
    14. Chris Sautia
    15. Simon Morahan
  19. Lee Grant John Eales (66)

IIRR the Qld officials copied the NSW system a couple of years back, wherein NSW chose players in this order:

NSW I - 1st XV
    NSW II - 2nd XV
    NSW II - reserves
    NSW I - reserves

Thus the NSW Ones reserves have always been weaker, on paper, than the Twos reserves.
  20. rugbywhisperer Banned

Protocol for the GPS teams were originally GPS I, GPS II, GPS I res, GPS II res, then they threw that away and announced three teams plus one reserve bench. The II's res for the I's, the third team res for the II's and the bench got on when they could but I didn't see too many in the GPS I side.
    I understand the Qld selection is similar to the GPS teams original policy, with the Qld I res of a higher calibre than Qld II res - but IMO they are very similar, I can't see too much between them but the telling giveaways are Will Slipper, Caden Matehaere and James May in the Qld I res bench, but as the Zen Master says - we'll see.