• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Schools Trial Games and Selections 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
This thread will be started sooner or later so I thought I would kick it off by asking forum members to list players from the 2009 Qld state teams (Is or IIs) who they know are back at school this year? Thanks. I will keep updating this lead post as info comes in.

After the state teams are named I will ask which of the players named in both teams are back at school in 2011.

Qld Players back at school in 2010

5. Curtis Browning BSHS
14. Chris Feauai BSHS

Anybody else?

D

Doc

PumpkinHead said:
Doc said:
Lion said:
Who's the big ranger at BGS?

Bermigham (or such).

Have a feeling he will get found out this year. Already seen him get dished up by smaller guys this year. Was a massive 15 year old fast tracked to NTS etc. Typical Qld development model.

This year I've seen NC, ACGS, GT, BSHS, TSS, BGS all play (plus a few aic schools). Kite would be the best tighthead. Daylight second.

I agree... From what I have seen of Bermingham this year and last, he has a problem of trying to stand up in the scrums... Over rated. The best tight head in the comp is with out question the Nudgee No. 3, Kite. Big mobile and skill full. Is he the Nudgee captain this year? In saying that I have only seen Bermingham once this year, but nothing seems to have improved since he was 15, and I have seen Kite play twice, both times he was outstanding. Any other good Tight Head Candidates to speak of?

S

scrubber

PumpkinHead said:
Doc said:
Lion said:
Who's the big ranger at BGS?

Bermigham (or such).

Have a feeling he will get found out this year. Already seen him get dished up by smaller guys this year. Was a massive 15 year old fast tracked to NTS etc. Typical Qld development model.

I agree... From what I have seen of Bermingham this year and last, he has a problem of trying to stand up in the scrums... Over rated. The best tight head in the comp is with out question the Nudgee No. 3, Kite. Big mobile and skill full. Is he the Nudgee captain this year? In saying that I have only seen Bermingham once this year, but nothing seems to have improved since he was 15, and I have seen Kite play twice, both times he was outstanding. Any other good Tight Head Candidates to speak of?
Dear P/Head,
reckon you may be right about the big Red Lad from the Downs. Heard he was some 109 kg a year or two ago and was sort of able to dominate because of his raw boned heredity strength. Now he's coming up against other large lads who technically are as good if not better and may be shown up. Agree about Kite.. Rest of THP's don't seem to be anything special but have only seen ACGS, BBC, NC and TSS - is there anything up at IGS and TGS

C

coachescough

From seeing last weekend, BGS has two ranger one Michael Bermigham and the other is there big redheaded flanker Mitchell Carpenter, who since the game I have found out this there Capitian. It is also reported that he was MOM for BGS again GT. As for Michael Bermigham he had a good game if you were watching it. :baxter:

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
So let's see a list (this will be edited as we go along.) They are all GPS as I have had no input about other lads and the Qld Ones are mostly GPS usually anyway. Apart from the boys I saw in the Oz Open or U/16 tournaments last year the selections are from hearsay only.

1. Pettowa Paraka BSHS
3. Phillip Kite NC, Michael Bermingham BGS
4/5. Lucas Frater ACG
4/5.
6. Curtis Browning BSHS
8. Will Slipper TSS
10. Sam Cox TSS
12. W Petaia BSHS, Hymel Hunt NC
14. Chris Feauai BSHS
15. Lindsay Crook TSS

Browning and Slipper will both have to be in the team and both are playing 8 this year. It will be a pity if they pick Browning in the 2nd row again as he will be wasted there; he is a natural 8 and could probably play 6. He's not that tall last time I saw him either. But if he plays 6 that would mean no Ones spot for TSS 6. Will Kleimeyer.

Feauai is an elusive back who played wing for Oz Schools last year but can also play 13. I haven't seen Crook play but he sounds like a Luke Morahan type who would probably enjoy attacking from fullback and is reportedly a good goal kicker. By all accounts he is lightning quick also.

Since Kimami Situati was selected in the Oz 7s teams straight after school it sounds like Crook could follow his footsteps next year and his 1st step towards that an a likely academy spot should start with his selection for Qld I Schools.

D

Doc

I'm interested that everyone throws up this Churchie lock. Seen them 3x this year once on tape, twice live and haven't noticed much from them at all. I'm assuming he's the big kid.

R

rugbywhisperer

Ok, here are some additions to Lee’s team,
1. Pettowa Paraka BSHS
4/5. Lucas Frater ACG
4/5.
6. Curtis Browning BSHS
8. Will Slipper TSS
10. Dion Tuimata (Keebra Park) Sam Cox TSS
11. Danny Vanuimata - Palm Beach High – please excuse the spelling, I know I am no where near the real spelling)
14. Chris Feauai BSHS
15. Lindsay Crook TSS

S

scrubber

rugbywhisperer said:
Ok, here are some additions to Lee’s team,
1. Pettowa Paraka BSHS
4/5. Lucas Frater ACG
4/5.
6. Curtis Browning BSHS
8. Will Slipper TSS
10. Dion Tuimata (Keebra Park) Sam Cox TSS
11. Danny Vanuimata - Palm Beach High – please excuse the spelling, I know I am no where near the real spelling)
14. Chris Feauai BSHS
15. Lindsay Crook TSS
Is Chris Feauai the same as Sautia - if so then he and crook are certainties for wing - don't know about fullback for Crook - as far as I am aware has never played there in any real matches at senior level so is untested but potentisally could be very good - question may be that selectors will not want to experiment and choose lads in positions they play week in and week out. Have seen that Dion T play and brings heaps more options than Cox or any other lad in GPS - tough tough and more tough - watched him at Breakers one weekend and his defence was spectacular.
Also think selectors will find a lock spot for Mitch Carpenter from BGS. Slipper from TSS a shoe-in (ha ha ha) at 8 and Curtis B for 6 (where he played in Aussie A team last year). Word is both of these boys have dominated for their schools week in and Slipper got points over Curtis when BSHS played TSS.
Churchie's wing or cetre O'Connor also highly thought of and opportunity given to him.
Haven't seen this Danny V. (palm beach) play - what is his history

R

rugbywhisperer

Danny played with crook last year as schoolboy in the Byron bay and GC 7's for the Breakers. Currently on the wing for breakers colts. Not as fast as crook but vey elusive, great defence.
Crook played 15 up until age 16

T

TOCC

Villanova are looking to be the top team for 2010 in the AIC competition, having already knocked over St Laurences and Ashgrove.

The Villa fullback(unsure of name) is apparently a bit of a tryscoring machine

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'm going to try and get out to Sunnybank tomorrow to have a look at the Queensland Schoolboy Trials for CSS. Should be an interesting day. I will try and do a write up if I do get out there.

S

scrubber

Jets said:
I'm going to try and get out to Sunnybank tomorrow to have a look at the Queensland Schoolboy Trials for CSS. Should be an interesting day. I will try and do a write up if I do get out there.

Great stuff Jets
Hopefully it will be worthwhile and look forard to some reports

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Went out and had a look at the Qld U18 State Champs at Sunnybank this morning. I only managed to stay for a couple of hours as I had a 2 year old in tow. The day started with Northern taking on Met West on the main oval. Northern had a lot of speed in their team and took most of their chances to run away with a 41-0 win. On oval 2 Peninsular were to good for Wide Bay 24-6. Peninsular had some talented players there 10 had lots of skills and would go well in a good program. I would love to let you know his name put couldn't get a copy of the program as they were sold out. They also had a couple of tall locks which is always nice to see.
In the other games I watched South Coast (with a few Keebra Park players) were to good for Capricorn 26-7 and Met East beat Darling Downs 20-12.

You can view the results here

http://qrfsu.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp?id=162148

I would have thought South Coast, with Cayden Matehaere, would have been close to favourites but they lost to Sunny Coast this arvo so I guess it would be out of Sunny Coast and Met East. Northern could be an outside shoot.

S

scrubber

Jets said:
Went out and had a look at the Qld U18 State Champs at Sunnybank this morning. I only managed to stay for a couple of hours as I had a 2 year old in tow. The day started with Northern taking on Met West on the main oval. Northern had a lot of speed in their team and took most of their chances to run away with a 41-0 win. On oval 2 Peninsular were to good for Wide Bay 24-6. Peninsular had some talented players there 10 had lots of skills and would go well in a good program. I would love to let you know his name put couldn't get a copy of the program as they were sold out. They also had a couple of tall locks which is always nice to see.
In the other games I watched South Coast (with a few Keebra Park players) were to good for Capricorn 26-7 and Met East beat Darling Downs 20-12.

You can view the results here

http://qrfsu.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp?id=162148

I would have thought South Coast, with Cayden Matehaere, would have been close to favourites but they lost to Sunny Coast this arvo so I guess it would be out of Sunny Coast and Met East. Northern could be an outside shoot.
Thanks Jets.
always thought the lad cayden overrated up until last year - was a good young fella but seemed to lose it - not sure whether motivation or what or if other boys just 'caught" up with him and he couldn't respond accordingly - shame really but seems to happen a lot

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
He looked ok playing 12 for South Coast in the game that I watched him in. He is also playing Prem Colts for Sunnybank and they are likely to be the top team after the weekend. From all reports he is playing well for them.

S

scrubber

Jets said:
He looked ok playing 12 for South Coast in the game that I watched him in. He is also playing Prem Colts for Sunnybank and they are likely to be the top team after the weekend. From all reports he is playing well for them.
Great to see - he had a bad year at Nudgee last year I believe

S

scrubber

Looking forward to the BGS v BBC game on weekend - both schools seem to have improved remarkedly this year. Big Bermo and Mitch "cross saw" Carpenter for BGS will lead from the front whilst Jack "tackles" Dodgson will surely be motivated to continue his fine efforts. The big fellas of BGS will be looking for him :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.