• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Schools - Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I've been reading a few schoolboy threads and there is a fair bit of chat about the state teams in particular NSW and QLD.

Decided that if we could section it off into it's own thread it may be easier for all those seeking information on certain players to find. Also could be useful for trial locations and other related things. Was hoping this wouldn't be dominated by GPS and perhaps could have some input from CSS, AIC, CAS and ISA followers.

Let's try avoid interstate rivalry over quality of players, save that for the Oz Schoolboys thread.
Feel free to post your predicted teams, and remember to play the ball not the man.

Light I have changed the name of this thread to conform with the NSW thread, which already has 7 pages of discussion as we speak.

People who want to talk about teams outside of NSW and Qld including Combined States should start their own threads or put them in the Oz Schools and National Championship thread.

Cheers

LG

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The Contenders for QLD (have excluded CSS cause I haven't seen any play other than Timu)

1. Pettowa Paraka- The Southport School
2. Maile Nguaumo - Ipswich Grammar School/ Campbell Wakely - The Southport School
3. Tom Maloney - Nudgee College/ Feliti Kaituu - Nudgee College
4. Curtis Browning - Brisbane State High School/ Jack Cornelson - Brisbane Grammar School
5. Lochy Penburthy - Downlands/ Marcus Tanzer - Downlands/ Daniel Preen - Ipswich Grammar School/ Sam Fattal - The Southport School
6. Caleb Timu - Marsden State High School/ Conor Mitchell - Anglican Church Grammar School/Tuatala Tasi - Ipswich Grammar School
7. Kristian Satui - Nudgee College/ Joseph Swann - Brisbane State High School/
8. Sean McMahon - Nudgee College, Levi Aumua - Brisbane Grammar School/ Liume Maile - Brisbane State High School/ Winiatta Barret - The Southport School/
9. Scott Gale - Nudgee College/ Ben Meehan - Brisbane State High School/ Scott Maloou - Marist Ash/ Simon Gregg - St Laurence's College
10. Billy Brittain - Nudgee College/ Grant Davies - Brisbane Grammar School/ Darcy Eason - Anglican Church Grammar School/ Duncan Paiaaua - Emmaus College
11. Jeriah Goodrich - Toowoomba Grammar School/ Monty Ioane - Anglican Church Grammar School
12. Jack Tuttle - Nudgee College/ Sam Johnson - St Eddie's College/ Christian Welch - Villanova College/ Matthew Gordon - Ipswich Grammar School/ Charles Hose - Downlands
13. Chris F'Sautia - Brisbane State High School/ Soape Polau - Anglican Church Grammar School
15. Craig Hunt - Nudgee College/ Jonathan Kent - Ashgrove College/ Sam Greene - Brisbane Grammar School

T

Thomas

Levi Aumua in the no. 8s and Grant Davies plays for BGS not BSHS

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
1st of the Queensland Trials kicked off today.

Day 1 Thursday June 23 (Games 30 min halves) ALL GAMES BALLYMORE # 1

Pool B
AIC 2 vs GPS 3 3.30 pm
CSS 2 vs Chairmans 4.45 pm

Pool A
GPS 2 vs AIC1 6.00 pm
GPS 1 vs CSS 1 7.15 pm

W

Watcher

This has to be said....how does TGS get 5 players into the GPS sides when they have one just the one game and that was against GT? Check the coaching staff and selectors on the GPS 1 and GPS 2 sides. Terrible stuff but hopefully the State selectors are not so biased to any one particular group.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Queensland 1 Coach is from BGS. I think Grant Davies chances have improved dramatically. Anyone go out to Ballymore and watch today?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Nah I didn't.

Chairman’s XV 2011
1. Leighton Herbert-Cummings - St Edmunds College
2. Francios Postal - St Joseph’s College, Nudgee
3. Nick Leggatt - Downlands College
4. Nick Crooks - St Joseph’s College, Gregory Tce
5. David Partridge - Brisbane Boys College
6. Sidney Wilms - Sunshine Coast Grammar School
7. Jack Holt - Iona College
8. Nuku Swerling - John Paul College

9. Tui Notoaiga - Brisbane State High School
10. Will Thomassen - Marist College, Ashgrove
11. Gareth Kalell - Brisbane Boys College
12. Landon Hayes - Ipswich Grammar School
13. Samu Kerevi - Brisbane State High School
14. Owain Davies - Anglican Church Grammar School
15. Tom Banks - Brisbane Boys College

16. Ben Conway - Toowoomba Grammar School
17. Patrick Seristier - Villanova College
18. Gareth Ryan - Padua College
19. James Webster - St Patricks College
20. James Briskie - Padua College
21. Bart Scanlan - St Laurences College
22. Chris Dunstan - Ormiston
23. Levi Aumua - Brisbane Grammar School

Interesting choices, state high fair few selections. Would have to be the most represented team across the board.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Day 1 Results

Pool B
GPS 3 - 38
#8 L. Maile (BSHS), #9 M. Fairnington (TSS), #22 L. Tibbetts (BSHS), #11 W. Shipperley (NC), #4 T. Crow (ACGS) 2 tries #15 S. Greene (BGS) 4 con
d
AIC 2 - 14
#13 T. Dempsey (SLC), #15 J. Crowther (SLC) tries, #10 H. Manuel (SEC) 2 con

Chairmans XV - 29
#4 N. Crooks (GT), #10 W. Thomassen, #11 G. Kallel (BBC), #13 S. Kerevi (BSHS), #15 T. Banks (BBC) tries, L. Everson 2 con)
d
CSS 2 - 5
J. Cook try

Pool A
AIC 1 - 33
#1 S. Mikaele (SEC), #6 S. Larkman (SEC), #13 G. Beveridge (SPC), #14 T. Brimble (SPLC), #22 D. Eske (Iona) tries, #14 T. Brimble (SPLC), #9 S. Malolua (Ash) 3 con
d
GPS 2 - 19
#8 W. Barrett (TSS), #10 D. Eason (ACGS) , #14 P. Stewart (NC) tries, #9 B. Meehan (BSHS) 2 con

GPS 1 - 33
#2 M. Ngauamo (IGS), #6 C. Mitchell (ACGS), #14 B. Elliot (TSS), #13 S. Palau (ACGS), #23 V. Cooney (TSS) tries, #15 C. Hunt (NC) 3 conv
d
CSS 1 - 0

Good result for AIC 1. Didn't make it down so have no reviews but results say alot about the strength of GPS this year. GPS 1 v GPS 3 would be a good match. I don't think GPS 2 is as strong as previous years for whatever reason. GPS 1 to take title and claim most QLD spots, AIC 1 closely behind.

S

Steve-O

Chairman’s XV 2011

Thats a fairly strong side. How come Levi Aumua got didn't get selected for GPS, I thought he was a standout? Also that no.8 Nuku, I've seen play at a couple of league state championships, possibly the biggest schoolboy I have ever seen.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Aumua is an 8 too, far bit of competition for the 8 jersey in GPS. Guess there were stronger competitors in gps, but he no doubt would be my pick from this team if I had to predict one player making it to QLD 1.

Silverback

Bob McCowan (2)
Thanks for the scores Light.
It looks like my predictions of CSS success may have been a bit premature.
With the likes of Yeatman and O 'Neil in the team I am surprised that they didn't put some points on though.
Hopefully we can get some observations on the games.
It will be interesting to see todays results. Some more competitive games on Sunday may warrent a trip to Ballymore.

gtjack

Herbert Moran (7)
I was fortunate enough to get out to Ballymore for the majority of the games.

The GPS 3 vs AIC 2 game was interesting as it highlighted the difference in depth between GPS and AIC, GPS 3 coming out with the win. Greene's (BGS) kicking really impressed most out of the whole game, Will Shipperley (NC) also finished well. When he came on in the second half Ben Birgan (GT) played well, making numerous solid tackles and pilfering at the ruck, also managed to steal a kick off.

AIC 1 vs GPS 2 was closer than the scoreline might indicate, AIC 1 scored two tries in the last 5 minutes to extend the lead from 19 all with around 5 minutes left. Number 1 for AIC 1 was impressive with his size and speed, as was the fullback. Monty Ioane (ACGS) disappointed, personally I don't see what the hype about him is. He definitely has the physical assets to be a damaging ball runner and player, but he made at least 3 poor decisions and fumbled the ball numerous times. Shipperley (NC) is more deserving of the spot in GPS 2 from the games I have seen Ioane play (granted that's only 2, one being GT vs ACGS when he got shut down by the smallest player on the park in Tom Harvey).

GPS 1 cleaned up CSS 1 as expected, I was most impressed by Hunt (NC), he looked threatening every time he returned the ball of a kick off. Tuttle (NC) seemed to have an off night, didn't look as good as I've seen him in the past.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Was talking to someone who was at the game and his opinion was that CSS 1 played quite well against GPS 1 but conceded a few trys at the end of each half. He said that CSS made 5 mistakes and GPS scored off all of them. That is thee difference between the teams. One group plays high level rugby each week for a proper rugby season while the other guys play whatever rugby/league that they can and come together and try and compete as best they can.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
style="width: 800px;"
|- style="background: #e9e375; font-weight: strong;"
|| Pos. || GPS I || GPS II || GPS III || AIC I || AIC II || Chairman's XV
|-
||1|| Paraka (TSS) || Kaitu (NC) || D.A-E(BSHS) || Mikaele (SEC) || Lowis (SPC) || Cummins (SEC)
|-
||2|| Ngauamo (IGS) || Wakely (TSS) || Young (ACGS) || Manu (SEC) || Ritchie (Padua) || Postal (NC)
|-
||3|| Maloney (NC) || Clay (ACGS) || Newell (BSHS || Sorridimi (Villa) || Hatzis (SLC) || Leggatt(DL's)
|-
||4|| Browning(BSHS) || Cornelson(BGS) || Crow (ACGS) || Mains (Villa) || Notting (Ash) || Crooks (GT)
|-
||5|| Preen (IGS) || Fattal (TSS) || Sharp (BSHS) || Perry(Padua) || O'Toole(Padua) || Partridge(BBC)
|-
||6|| Mitchell(ACGS) || Tasi (IGS) || Brown (IGS) || Larkman(SEC) || Grey (SPLC) || Wilms(SCGS)
|-
||7|| Satui (NC) || Swann (BSHS) || Vassiliades(TSS) || Muller (Ash) || O'Toole(Padua) || Holt (Iona)
|-
||8|| McMahon(NC) || Barrett(TSS) || Maile (BSHS) || Walls (SPC) || Milosevic(SLC) || Swerling(JPC)
|-
||9|| Gale (NC) || Meehan(BSHS) || Fairnington(TSS) || Malolua(Ash) || Gregg (SLC) || Notoaiga(BSHS)
|-
||10|| Brittain (NC) || Eason(ACGS) || Parcell (IGS) || Bierhuizen(Iona) || Manuel (SEC) || Thomassen(Ash)
|-
||11|| Elliott (TSS) || Ioane(ACGS) || Shipperly (NC) || Watson (SPC) || Davies (Ash) || Kallel (BBC)
|-
||12|| Tuttle (NC) || Gordon (IGS) || Laud (BGS) || Johnson(SEC) || Welch (Villa) || Hayes (IGS)
|-
||13|| Palau (ACGS) || Vakuata(IGS) || Drew (TGS) || Beveridge(SPC) || Dempsey(SLC) || Kerevi (BSHS)
|-
||14|| Goodrich(TGS) || Stewart (NC) || Heteran(ACGS) || Brimble (SPLC) || Rambi (SPLC) || Davies(ACGS)
|-
||15|| Hunt (NC) || Duncan(TSS) || Greene (BGS) || Kent (Ash) || Crowther(SLC) || Banks (BBC)
|-
||16|| Pavy (TGS) || || Blackhurst(BGS) || || Toolis (Ash) || Conway (TGS)
|-
||17|| Pleash (IGS) || || Tarr (BBC) || || Stevenson(Ash) || Serestier (Villa)
|-
||18|| McHugh(TSS) || || Hooper (IGS) || || Walker (Iona) || Ryan (Padua)
|-
||19|| Olsen (ACGS) || || Levander (BBC) || || Wilson (SLC) || Webster (SPC)
|-
||20|| Cail (BGS) || || Brigan (GT) || || McWhirter(Ash) || Briskie (Padua)
|-
||21|| King (IGS) || || Deck (TGS) || || Cooke (SPC) || Scanlan (SLC)
|-
||22|| Davies (BGS) || || Bird (BBC) || || Eske (Iona) || Dunstan(Ormiston)
|-
||23|| Cooney (TSS || || Tibbetts (BSHS) || || Ballasa (SEC) || Aumua (BGS)

Now you can put a name to a number :)

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
What just caught my eye more so than anything else about these whole trials, is that BSHS had two 2nd XV players pick in the Chairman's XV. Surely there's more competition for the 9 and 13 jerseys than to have to rely on Meehan and F'Sautia's replacements.. Says alot about State High's depth

F

fourgreatkids

Amua wasn't selected in the GPS teams due to injury, thus leaving him in the Chairmans team.

X

XRugbyX

Aic 1 vs Gps 2

AIC 1 standouts; Simon M no. 1, damaging with ball in hand and held his own in scrums
Andrew M No.2- lineouts were horrendous however with ball in hand was hard to stop
Scott M- No.4 captain, led from the front didn't do one thing wrong all night, expect him to figure in either of the QLD teams
Sam J No.12 was good with ball in hand and in defence
Tyrone B No.14 outstanding game, fast feet and fearless

S

Steve-O

GPS1 26 - AIC1 19
Close game, AIC had the lead at halftime 19-0. I heard that this is one of the most even contests in a while from these two teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.