• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Schools - Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
GPS1 26 - AIC1 19
Close game, AIC had the lead at halftime 19-0. I heard that this is one of the most even contests in a while from these two teams.

Gee I wonder what some of the GPS superstars were thinking at halftime when they were down 19-0 to a bunch of non scholarship players who play in an inferior comp. Has to be some AIC boys in QLD 1 after this result.

G

gecko

That's a decent result, pity the AIC team couldn't go on with it. You'd think they'd earned themselves a decent representation in the Qld teams.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Gee I wonder what some of the GPS superstars were thinking at halftime when they were down 19-0 to a bunch of non scholarship players who play in an inferior comp. Has to be some AIC boys in QLD 1 after this result.

AIC 1's performance must come as a surprise to some of the schoolboy keyboard heroes around here (ironically an inordinate number of whom are from GT) who have continually patronized and disparaged any and all AIC players this season. It just might be the case that you don't have to be from a league or islander background to warrant consideration for rep honors or accession to the holy grail of schoolboy footy.

Those knowledgeable and even-handed posters like Light know this anyway.

Queeensland 1 team will be fascinating this year - surely no complaints of tokenism with AIC selections (but they will come anyway).

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It's state selection time and folks are reminded that they should not mention things like:

- the selectors are biased
- NTS/Gold players get preference
- rugby politics is obviously a part of selections
- players from .... (fill in the space) ..... don't get a fair shake
- etc etc and yarda, yarda

... in any other thread but this one:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/threads/8261-Schools-selection-politics-and-bias-NTS-unfairness-etc.?p=227340#post227340

Posters are warned that posts referring to these subjects can get deleted, even if they are just part of the post.

By all means mention that you have an opinion you have posted on the politics etc thread that others may be interested in reading, and provide the link.

Thank you.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
QLD 1 Predicition:

15. Craig Hunt/ Jono Kent
14. Tyrone Brimble
13. Soape Palau (Unless Sautia plays QLD)
12. Sam Johnson
10. Billy Brittain
9. Scott Malolua
8. Caleb Timu/ Tom Milosevic
7. Kristian Satui (Based on last year only)
6. Conor Mitchell/Shane Larkman
5. Daniel Preen
4. Curtis Browning
3. Marley Tane
2. Maile Ngauamo
1. Pettowa Paraka

S

Shoulder Charge

Unsung heros

That's a decent result, pity the AIC team couldn't go on with it. You'd think they'd earned themselves a decent representation in the Qld teams.

As is often the case in these games there are unsung heros that deserve to be mentioned:
For AIC1: Shane Larkman (6 playing openside) had a great game - he was there at every breakdown, tackled well and dominated the oposition.
For GPS1: The open side flanker. His sneaky left hand rake in the last scrum when the ball was out won them the game.

By the way, AIC #1 Simon Mikaele is out with a spiral fracture in his hand which is why he didn't play.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
My Thoughts for QLD 1 + 2 + Bench, few spots where I just couldn't find a standout or suitable option. Let us know your thoughts.
QLD 1
15. Craig Hunt (NC/GPS I)
14. Tyrone Brimble (SPLC/AIC I)
13. Chris F'Sautia (BSHS/GPS)
12. Sam Johnson (SEC/AIC I)
11. Jeriah Goodrich (TGS/GPS I)
10. Grant Davies (BGS/GPS Bench)
9. Ben Meehan (BSHS/GPS II)
8. Tom Milosevic (SLC/AIC II)
7. Kristian Satui (NC/GPS I)
6. Caleb Timu (MSHS/CSS)
5. Daniel Preen (IGS/GPS I)
4. Curtis Browning (BSHS/GPS I) (C)
3. Marley Tane (DL's/CSS)
2. Maile Ngauamo (IGS/GPS I)
1. Pettowa Paraka (TSS/GPS I)

QLD 2.
15. Jono Kent (Ash/AIC I)
14. Owain Davies (ACGS/Chairmans XV)
13. Soape Polau (ACGS/GPS I)
12. Jack Tuttle (NC/GPS I)
11. Vincent Cooney (TSS/ GPS bench)
10. Billy Brittain (NC/GPS I)
9. Scott Malolua (Ash/AIC I)
8. Levi Aumua (BGS/Chairmans XV)
7. Conor Mitchell (ACGS/GPS I) (C)
6. Shane Larkman (SEC/AIC I)
5. Scott Mains (Villa/AIC I)
2. Campbell Wakely (TSS/GPS II)

Bench
16. Francios Postal (NC/Chairmans XV)
18. Tim Crow (ACGS/GPS III)
19. Tuatala Tasi (IGS/GPS II)
20. Terin Walls (SPC/AIC I)
21. Scott Gale (NC/GPS I)/ Simon Gregg (SLC/AIC II)
22. Darcy Eason (ACGS/GPS II)
23. Sam Greene (BGS/GPS III)

S

shlanky

did aic use 2 1/2 backs and if so who played the 1st 1/2
Scott Malolua played two thirds of the game, with Simon Gregg coming on to have a crack. both very good halfbacks and should make it into the queensland squads. although I believe scott has done enough the past few days to warrant selection as the #9 for qld 1

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Never personally seen Malolua play as I still haven't had the time to get down and watch the trials. I gather that he's been the form 9 of the AIC, but is he better than the likes of Meehan and Gale.. I was one who saw Meehan last year when he was QLD 1 halfback and he was outstanding, from what I have seen and heard he hasn't been too far off the pace this year. Is it just that the competition is stronger this year or where are all these kids coming from if the QLD 1 #9 doesn't even look like making QLD at all.. Someone help

S

shlanky

Never personally seen Malolua play as I still haven't had the time to get down and watch the trials. I gather that he's been the form 9 of the AIC, but is he better than the likes of Meehan and Gale.. I was one who saw Meehan last year when he was QLD 1 halfback and he was outstanding, from what I have seen and heard he hasn't been too far off the pace this year. Is it just that the competition is stronger this year or where are all these kids coming from if the QLD 1 #9 doesn't even look like making QLD at all.. Someone help

Well i believe malolua came over from new zealand at the beginning of the year, does that help you at all?

J

jaydee

Simon Gregg missed the first 5 games of AIC with fractured cheek, but outplayed Malolula in the pre season trial and would have been AIC 1 1/2 IMO if he had played the whole season.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well i believe malolua came over from new zealand at the beginning of the year, does that help you at all?

My point was do you really think they will pick this Malolua guy over the more experienced QLD 1 #9 from 2010. Sure, he's GPS 2 and has been overlooked by GPS selectors, but the state selectors have seen what Meehans capable of. I have not seen either Gregg or Malolua play, but I can't see them being picked over an established experienced representative player who is not far off his A game. Suppose it depends who won the battle of the 9s in the AIC I v GPS 2 game, but I wouldn't be getting your hopes up at this point.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Day 2 Friday June 24 (Games 30 min halves)

Pool B
Chairmans XV 43
#11 G. Kalell (BBC), #13 S. Kerevi (BSHS),#17 P. Seristier (Villa), J. Watt, #23 L. Aumua (BGS),#14 O. Davies (ACGS) 2 tries, L. Everson 4 con
d
AIC 2 0

CSS 2 21
L. Tuigamala, M. Marks, N. Tabertries, J. Bowen-Bowyer 3 con
d
GPS 3 19
#9 M. Fairnington (TSS),#12 B. Laud (BGS), B. Collins tries, #15 S. Greene (BGS) 2 con

Pool A
GPS 2 33
#14 P. Stewart (NC),#12 M. Gordon (IGS),#23 V. Cooney (TSS),#22 G. Davies (BGS) 2 tries and 4 con
d
CSS 1 10
#6 C. Timu (MSHS), J. Roberts tries

GPS 1 26
#7 K. Satui (NC),#13 S. Palau (ACGS),#23 V. Cooney (TSS),#15 C. Hunt (NC) tries and 3 con
d
AIC 1 19
#11 J. Watson (SPC), #14 T. Brimble (SPLC), #8 T. Milosevic (SLC) tries, #9 S. Malolua (Ash) 2 con

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
So you're saying that he's better at 10 than the Aus A Schoolboy flyhalf last year? That doesn't make sense, Davies would have to be frontrunner for the QLD 10 jersey after yesterdays performance of 2 tries and 4 cons. Meehan will be thereabouts

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
Light - regarding your Qld I and IIs team.

Francois Postal, was rather oridnary IMO against struggling AIC 2 yesterday. The AIC 2 hooker played much better than him in a very ordinary team

O

OLDDOG

So you're saying that he's better at 10 than the Aus A Schoolboy flyhalf last year? That doesn't make sense, Davies would have to be frontrunner for the QLD 10 jersey after yesterdays performance of 2 tries and 4 cons. Meehan will be thereabouts

davies has talent for sure, and he can kick n tackle, but he s an individualist. not the BEST distributor, if you know what i mean........

AUS #10 posn is a done deal anyway, and the lad aint even trialling.

S

sdg

teams are up: http://www.redsrugby.com.au/NewsEvents/NewsArticles/tabid/581/ArticleID/3604/Default.aspx

Queensland One Schools

1. Feleti Kaituu (Nudgee College)
2. Maile Ngauamo (IGS)
3. Pettowa Paraka (TSS)
4. Curtis Browning (BSHS)
5. Terrin Walls (St Patrick’s College)
6. Sean McMahon (Nudgee College)
7. Kristian Satui (Nudgee College)
8. Caleb Timu (Marsden SHS)
9. Scott Malolua (Marist College Ashgrove)
10. Grant Davies (BGS)
11. Jeriah Goodrich (TGS)
12. Sam Johnson (St Edmund’s College)
13. Chris F’Sautia (BSHS)
14. Craig Hunt (Nudgee College)
15. Jono Kent (Marist College Ashgrove)

16. Alex Hatzis (SLC)
17. Campbell Wakely (TSS)
18. Feao Fotuaika (St Francis College)
19. Marcus Tanzer (Downlands College)
20. Joseph Swann (BSHS)
21. Ben Meehan (BSHS)
22. Sam Greene (BGS)
23. Soape Palau (ACGS)

Queensland Two Schools

1. Jake Newell (BSHS)
2. Fa’atausili Lafaitele (Victoria Point SHS)
3. Tom Moloney (Nudgee College)
4. Sam Fattal (TSS)
5. Daniel Preen (IGS)
6. Conor Mitchell (ACGS)
7. Shane Larkman (St Edmund’s College)
8. Winniata Barrett (TSS)
9. Scott Gale (Nudgee College)
10. Will Thomassen (Marist College Ashgrove)
11. Jarrod Watson (St Patrick’s College)
12. Samu Kerevi (BSHS)
13. Giles Beveridge (St Patrick’s College)
14. Tyron Brimble (SPLC)
15. Lachlan Duncan (TSS)

16. Livingstone Tuigamala (Wavell SHS)
17. Andrew Manu (St Edmund’s College)
18. MacKenzie Barnes (John Paul College)
19. Jack Cornelsen (BGS)
20. Chazz Mahina (Marsden SHS)
21. Denzel King (IGS)
22. Billy Brittain (Nudgee College)
23. Brendan Elliott (TSS)

Thoughts? Any surprises?

S

Steve-O

I think Tom Milosevic was very unlucky to not get in. From what I saw he had a blinder against GPS 1 and was the best forward today for AIC against CSS 1.

Also if I'm not mistaken, isn't QLD 2 inside centre (Samu Kerevi) playing in the 2nds at State High?

R

rugbymand2323

anyone know when the Combined States team gets announced?

Status
Not open for further replies.