• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Schools - Trial Games and Selections 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

FootyHead29

Stan Wickham (3)
Congratulations to the AIC boys! bit of an upset and without a few of their best.
you must remember although it was a tie between GPS 1 and AIC 1, GPS 2 beat a full strength AIC 1 on the first day, so maybe its a matter of selection of the GPS 1 team

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
you must remember although it was a tie between GPS 1 and AIC 1, GPS 2 beat a full strength AIC 1 on the first day, so maybe its a matter of selection of the GPS 1 team
fair call maybe there have been some errors with selection with GPS 1 can't say myself.
However my point was the Gap that so many GPS boys love to crow about is closing up. I based this on
AIC 1 19 GPS 1 19
GPS 2 19 AIC 1 10
AIC 2 15 GPS 3 10
so after 3 hours of GPS and AIC rugby there is nothing in it.
The Gap is closing

FootyHead29

Stan Wickham (3)
fair call maybe there have been some errors with selection with GPS 1 can't say myself.
However my point was the Gap that so many GPS boys love to crow about is closing up. I based this on
AIC 1 19 GPS 1 19
GPS 2 19 AIC 1 10
AIC 2 15 GPS 3 10
so after 3 hours of GPS and AIC rugby there is nothing in it.
The Gap is closing
Very true, the best players in the AIC are starting to match it with the GPS best. But i still believe that if the winner of the GPS were to play the winners of AIC, there would be a fair margin and the same goes for a GPS versing AIC last, the game would be anon event

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
Very true, the best players in the AIC are starting to match it with the GPS best. But i still believe that if the winner of the GPS were to play the winners of AIC, there would be a fair margin and the same goes for a GPS versing AIC last, the game would be anon event

Sorry FH29, the score indicates more early season dysfunction in the GPS ranks and perhaps a lack of focus after GPS2 defeated AIC 1. Well done to AIC 1 for snatching a draw. I agree, the UN would rule on humanitarian grounds against a AIC-GPS Premiers match, the GPS side would massacre them. I just hope the Q selectors at the trials truly "see" quality or there will be more pain at a National Championships where NSW are already well into their GPS season and will present with battle hardened players. Having heard who some selectors are, I can only wonder. AIC are battle hardened but in much lesser battles. An AIC 1st XV match is not a patch on a GPS one for pace, pressure, physicality or skill. Perhaps moreso it suggests GPS team selection inconsistencies to be expected in the farcical situation where GPS teams are selected before a proper game has been played in their competition. I'd even question how many GPS1 players served their requisite half or so in the first game and were then got mothballed as their names were put into the Q sides, bringing up GPS2 players and bench players to fill things out. IMHO, if I had to make a swing call on a player, I'd pick the GPS one over the AIC one any day.

Royalderry

Peter Burge (5)
The gap between AIC and GPS is of course closing and it is due to the hard work being done by the AIC schools to improve their standards - only a fool would say the gap is not closing. That being said I agree the top GPS team would generally defeat the top AIC team (this match-up will never happen the GPS schools have too much to lose). I coach a CIC team in the primary and we more than matched it with the big boys this season(we defeated BBC at Toowong 62-0 (BBC parents were none too impressed!, beat GT 19-5, lost to NC 25-10 and TSS 19-0 in pretty close games. We flogged St Pat's 30-then got whipped 47-0 by Ashgrove) - a bit topsy-turvy but this is all pre-import/scholarship and my experience is the AIC schools (Ash/Padua/SLC/Iona) are more than competitive in the primary. Bring in much older, bigger boys on scholarships and things take on a different complexion.We should be happy so many good footballers are being produced at the AIC schools - it can only strengthen our game.
Congrats to AIC boys and good luck to all the GPS schools this season (i intend to get out and watch a few 1st XV games myself)

hotman

Peter Burge (5)
The gap is closing for the better players from AIC and GPS, but the schools wouldn't be able to compete in GPS at all. With the exception of a few alot of good AIC players would prefer to stay at their schools and play with there mates.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Jets you are wrong. Schools aren't getting charged for field hire by any means. We have organised medical and security for them which they will pay for. Nothing back to QRU.
From the horses mouth. Good that you could clear that up Reg.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
P6230414 (Large).JPG

P6230415 (Large).JPG

P6230439 (Large).JPG

P6230447 (Large).JPG

P6230458 (Large).JPG

P6230474 (Large).JPG

P6230441 (Large).JPG

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
Expect to see a lot of QLD boys in the combined States side with a lot of quality players missing out on QLD selection

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Just had a good look at the teams. Congratulations to all the young men who were selected and remember that it is the Australian Schoolboy Rugby Union title that you are now fighting for.

Just a couple of random observations / questions looking at the make up of the teams:-
  • Congrats to IGS with 6 selected (some did not rate too many in this team in early season banter on another thread, and it is good to see some have stepped up.) Yes, I know that TSS and NC had more selected, but this was not unexpected.
  • Who is Harry Masters from Sunshine Grammar? He was not on any team lists included in the programme. If he has come in for an injury at the last minute, he is well and truly the selection bolter.
  • I was told that Conrad Quick was injured and I did not see him play in the Chairman XV game that I saw, so the selectors have kept their faith in him from past deeds.
  • Even though the GPS boys are a little under done with a lack of hard competition matches, they have gained 72% of the selections and AIC only 17%.
  • Iona with an AIC premiership just tucked under their belt only managed one selection (Wilkin)
  • The trial team to be selected in to almost guarantee selection is the GPS 1 team. All but one person (out of the 15) was selected for the QLD teams, 13 of these in QLD 1. I thought this was unusual considering they drew against AIC 1 and lost to GPS 2. Or were some of the key players rested?
  • The unlucky person from GPS 1 was Matt Marsden. Was he injured and not considered?
  • Carlin Anderson has made it as flyhalf for the QLD 2 team when originally selected for the bench of the GPS 3 team. Sensational effort.
  • Not sure if it is an age thing, with selections favouring some of the 18 years olds that are in the system (in QLD most Open schoolboys are 17) but only 15 out of the 46 Queensland players who took the field for last year's u16 National tournament were selected.
  • What happened to all the BGS players who played for u16 Qld teams last year and won a GPS premiership, about five or six have missed selection? The only BGS player selected was Pat Morrey.
  • No one north of the Sunshine Coast was selected. Is rugby too centric around the state capital city centres? It may be costing us some amazing talent. Watch the State of Origin team lineup announced before the game on Wednesday night and see how many players come from the country.
  • There were no current u16 players selected.

mates95

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just had a good look at the teams. Congratulations to all the young men who were selected and remember that it is the Australian Schoolboy Rugby Union title that you are now fighting for.

Just a couple of random observations / questions looking at the make up of the teams:-
  • Congrats to IGS with 6 selected (some did not rate too many in this team in early season banter on another thread, and it is good to see some have stepped up.) Yes, I know that TSS and NC had more selected, but this was not unexpected.
  • Who is Harry Masters from Sunshine Grammar? He was not on any team lists included in the programme. If he has come in for an injury at the last minute, he is well and truly the selection bolter.
  • I was told that Conrad Quick was injured and I did not see him play in the Chairman XV game that I saw, so the selectors have kept their faith in him from past deeds.
  • Even though the GPS boys are a little under done with a lack of hard competition matches, they have gained 72% of the selections and AIC only 17%.
  • Iona with an AIC premiership just tucked under their belt only managed one selection (Wilkin)
  • The trial team to be selected in to almost guarantee selection is the GPS 1 team. All but one person (out of the 15) was selected for the QLD teams, 13 of these in QLD 1. I thought this was unusual considering they drew against AIC 1 and lost to GPS 2. Or were some of the key players rested?
  • The unlucky person from GPS 1 was Matt Marsden. Was he injured and not considered?
  • Carlin Anderson has made it as flyhalf for the QLD 2 team when originally selected for the bench of the GPS 3 team. Sensational effort.
  • Not sure if it is an age thing, with selections favouring some of the 18 years olds that are in the system (in QLD most Open schoolboys are 17) but only 15 out of the 46 Queensland players who took the field for last year's u16 National tournament were selected.
  • What happened to all the BGS players who played for u16 Qld teams last year and won a GPS premiership, about five or six have missed selection? The only BGS player selected was Pat Morrey.
  • No one north of the Sunshine Coast was selected. Is rugby too centric around the state capital city centres? It may be costing us some amazing talent. Watch the State of Origin team lineup announced before the game on Wednesday night and see how many players come from the country.
  • There were no current u16 players selected.
The way I see it is, is that if there is not a significant difference in skill level between an Aic and GPS player the GPS boys will get the gig.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
I didn't Matt Marsden and Lakehm Aiono playing at the trials so they must have been injured. Two players who would have definitely been in one of the teams. Poor timing for injuries.

I think Jake Lyon deserved to get the QLD 1 spot over Alex Mafi. Mafi seems more interested in seagulling tries in the backline then actually putting in the hard yards and doing the tight stuff.

Toby Macnamee from GT should feel hard done by; he is a real quality openside flanker. Then again, their are heaps of quality flankers in this age group.

Surprised to only see Jayden Rodwell on the bench for the 2s, having played two years in the QLD U16 Red side. Dalton Cox from BGS puts in the hard yards and is very good in the tight stuff.

Nili Fielia made QLD 2 last year and now doesn't make a team. Is he injured?

I think it's clear that selectors really look more at who is making the big runs and scoring tries rather than who is really doing their work in the trial games. A team needs players who are willing to get stuck in and do some of the tough work in order to secure the ball and win games for their teams. These selections are based too much on reputation and not enough on form and work rate.

QLD players who will be in contention for Combined States side, in my opinion, are: Dalton Cox (BGS), Toby McNamee (GT) , Bronson Taukipulu (BBC), Matthew Burke (Iona), Sam Clarke (Ashgrove), Nili Fiela (TSS), Stu McReight (BGS).

Status
Not open for further replies.