• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Schools u12 Rugby State Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
What a great weekend of Rugby at Sunnybank who hosted this year’s Queensland 12yrs Schools Rugby State Championship. The Championship was held over three days and saw eight school regional teams playing in two pools for a spot in the finals.

What makes this championship differ from the recent U12’s Development Carnival at TSS is that players do not necessarily need to be registered rugby union players. This opened up the competition to numerous rugby league players including a number of Qld State Rep Players.

My only concern regarding this is when League props are selected and then suffer during the carnival due to lack of scrummaging skills. Some league-props however, may learn and adapt quicker than others, but I do feel that this is a safety issue that should be addressed.

Pool A included last year’s winners Met North, but the big danger this year in Pool A was going to be Met East who were in possession of a very potent backline with a number of those Qld League Rep players previously mentioned. Pool A also included; Peninsula and the Sunshine Coast.

Pool B was probably a little more evenly spread with all teams expected to perform well. Met West (last year’s runners up) seemed like the team to beat along with South Coast, although both Capricornia and Darling Downs arrived with plenty of spirit.

Day 1:

Pool A: Met East stamped their intention with a convincing win over last year’s champs Met North 42-0. Met North fought well in the forwards and appeared to have the edge at times with their ability to get to the break down quickly, but Met East were just too strong in the backs. Sunshine Coast showed they could be a contender with an easy win of Peninsula 45-7

The day’s second round in Pool A saw Met East annihilate Peninsula 79-0 and Met North gaining their first victory over the Sunshine Coast 19-7.

Pool B: South Coast knocked over Met West in an arm wrestle game but the boys from the south had too much fire power in their backline and eventually ran away comfortable winners 21-12. Capricornia also had a hard fought win over Darling Downs 17-14.

Second round for the day saw South Coast score their second win against Capricornia 31-21 in a game that was closer than the final score indicated. Met West also found their strides by comfortably winning their first game of the championship against Darling Downs 19-7.

Day 2:

Last of the Pool matches in the morning saw Met East Continue to dominate by defeating Sunshine coast 29-0 and Met North easily accounting for Peninsula 28-0.

Pool B saw the South Coast continue their undefeated run by defeating a gallant Darling Downs 12-7 with a try in the dying seconds to the Coast. Met West comfortably defeated Capricornia 43-12 to see them move into a semi final game against the undefeated Met East.

Semi Finals:

Met East continued their dominant performance by easily accounting for their Met West brothers 40-7 and the South Coast played their best game of the Championship by comfortably defeating Met North 29-5.

Day 3:

Grand Final – The two undefeated teams play off to take the prize. Met East were the heavy favourites against the improving South Coast. Both teams occupying the two biggest sets of centres and both featuring talented no. 10’s.

South Coast dominated early possession and created a couple of opportunities but just lacked speed out wide. Met East took advantage of their great defence and counter attacked back down the field to see a try by some good forward work. Met East scored a second try by moving the ball out wide from a kick that failed to find touch. The Met East back line was able to kick across field for a waiting unmarked winger to go in for their second try.

The second half saw much of the same thing. Met East once again scoring out wide but it was South Coast who answered back quickly with a pick and go try just wide of the posts.

Met East were once again forced to go wide to find their space, and why not, they had size and speed to burn which resulted in their fourth try on the final siren. A much deserved win to the best team at the Championship 24-5. The South Coast should be proud of their performance which stood up and defended their line through multiple phases and never gave up.

Final Standings:

1. Met East
2. South Coast
3. Met West
4. Met North
5. Capricornia
6. Sunshine Coast
7. Darling Downs
8. Peninsula

I have DVD copies off all South Coast games including the Grand Final if anyone was interesting in obtaining a copy, please let me know.

Jack.JPG

13. Jack Kelly, South Coast

I

iceman

New to the forum.... I watched some of these championships and there was talent on display, one of the dads told me that the Met East backline had the Queensland Rugby league #7 playing at 10, and the Queensland Rugby league Centers playing in the Center, these boys had just returned from teh National Champs where Queensland won undefeated, they also had a nationally ranked sprinter on the wing and a Queensland touch player on the other wing ... thats some fire power!! the Met East 10 looks like a player to watch out for especially on front foot ball as from what I saw he really got that backline working and was a very strong defender...but that backline can't do anything unless the forwards get the ball and they managed to get their fair share, the #7 and #6 and #3 for Met East had great carnivals.

South coast #13 had a great carnival but was well contained in the GF a strong runner with some good size he looks like a player to watch out for, some good Centres on display as Met West #13 had talent and speed to burn as well....One thing though, I thought was that there was too much aimless kicking in this age group as lineouts are a lottery, boys should back themselves and their skills and keep the ball in hand but that may be my league background coming through....

Q

Quakezone

It actually looked a little down on previous years for mine... I only caught a couple of games and thought that the standard was down from previous years....I guess some of the scores tell the story of lop sided games - Met North getting beaten 42 nil is unheard from a strong schools "Rugby" region

I

iceman

Many boys playing GPS rugby? I am sure there would have been "Approaches" with the talent on offer...It happens younger nowadays so I am told

Benchwarmer

Frank Nicholson (4)
Agree was not the best carnival I have seen (seen 5-6 State Champs for this group over the years) as it has been mentioned above I felt the league component added a very unstructured element to each game.....noticed a lot of 'Bang Crash' and lose the ball....or run take 3 defenders and randomly throw the ball to open space......you could easily spot the 'Union' players in the forwards (those that were within 10 metres of the breakdown). Attempted to see most teams & games and have the following synopsis...... Standout Players -
Meteast - Winger (Qld Rep Sprint) true speed however avoided the tackle and weak on contact - #15 - looked as though playing out of position? good pass but not keen on contact #13 & #5 & #10 were the standouts in this team.......
Metwest - #13 (QLD Rep Sprint) quick and strong in the tackle - broke tackles & scored from scrappy ball #7 & #6 good turnover skills and aggressive in tackle #4 strong runner #14 playing in centres - best pass and appeared quicker than #13....most natural looking union back in comp? never got ball as league #8 added to backline? South Coast #13 strong runner - did not pass when required - killed a lot of forward movement #10 solid pass from quick ball from forwards - not a lot of leagues in the pack? appeared smaller but had skill
Darling Downs - #3 aggressive and held his own against bigger opposition
Met North - from what I could see had the most union players in the comp - #12 & #13 went ok however no size on the wings and not a lot of speed - forward pack a good mix of skills........to be continued......

Roscoe

Frank Nicholson (4)
Many boys playing GPS rugby? I am sure there would have been "Approaches" with the talent on offer.It happens younger nowadays so I am told

The "approaches" have always happened in U12's usually target the standouts. These days a lot more boys are being offered opportunities.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yes Iceman, I agree that Met East had great recycle speed by their forwards and also thought #8 for Met East had a good game. I think the important word you used with regards to kicking was 'aimless' and I put that down to great pressure applied by Met East in the final. Kicking however can be a very useful tool for field position when done right.

South Coast #13 did have a great carnival and lucky for him his dad operates the camera and subsequent highlights reel...

Benchwarmer

Frank Nicholson (4)
I thought there was more aimless kicking from the Met East #15 throughout the carnival....wasted a lot of ball....a couple of tries from it however too many turnovers and lost opportunities.......Met East dominated due to the forward pack presenting quick ball to the backs and playing to the conditions.....why have 3 phases or more by forwards once the opposing forwards are sucked into the contest?...then lose it?...Met East forwards got the ball out regardless of where they were situated on the park and the backs had time to move.....as a collective would not rate the Met East backs the best at the carnival........they were the line presented the most opportunity but they did butcher a lot of ball....thought quality of U12 at QJRU state champs was better than schools champs this year.......

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
..thought quality of U12 at QJRU state champs was better than schools champs this year...

I think the frustrating thing from a Gold Coast perspective with the QJRU state champs was that the GCDRU picked 2 teams and then evened them out. With only 9 teams playing in the GC comp, there were a lot of players that weren't up to the standard and both teams had half a side that probably shouldn't have been there.. bit tough to say that, but that was the case.

It's not a criticism as I understand what GCDRU were doing, they were exposing as many players to rep rugby as possible for long term development, but the two sides were significantly watered down. I know some players felt that their GC teams were significantly weaker than their own club team.

So you're probably right from a Brisbane perspective, but for the GC - not a happy weekend and we'll have the same issue for the next two years.

I

iceman

I thought there was more aimless kicking from the Met East #15 throughout the carnival..wasted a lot of ball..a couple of tries from it however too many turnovers and lost opportunities...Met East dominated due to the forward pack presenting quick ball to the backs and playing to the conditions...why have 3 phases or more by forwards once the opposing forwards are sucked into the contest?.then lose it?.Met East forwards got the ball out regardless of where they were situated on the park and the backs had time to move...as a collective would not rate the Met East backs the best at the carnival....they were the line presented the most opportunity but they did butcher a lot of ball..thought quality of U12 at QJRU state champs was better than schools champs this year...

I viewed some of the QJRU U12 carnival and a friend of mine who coached one of the Brisbane teams mentioned that selections were controlled and so many boys from each division right through to division 5 had to be given opportunities which is fair enough hence "Development" carnival

....was the standard higher? good question the QJRU competition was a lot more even and there were no blow out in scores, however many of the same boys were involved in both carnivals the only difference being the league boys in various backlines are not part of the QJRU ..... and although the Met east forwards won possession the difference in some games and blow out in scores was due to the Queensland league boys playing at 10/12/13 for Met East all solid defenders, 90% of Met East tries were scored in the backline they scored something like 35 tries and conceded only 2 ... However that was a standout team and those results hide the quality of the other teams...South Coast, Met West, and Met North would have been tough to beat at the QJRU carnival I believe - They just had more quality in these teams than the development teams at the QJRU carnival but thst one mans opinion....

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Given that this tournament takes place, I find it shocking that Qld rugby refuse to participate in the national rugby exchange for primary school under 12s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.