• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD U16s 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Grothe Sr

Frank Nicholson (4)
Again people keep talking up Gunter's size!

There is a long way to go - country boys like him may still end up back at the farm earlier than we guess.

It is the same reason why Nudgee and other boarding schools have more schoolboy Aussies but not Wallabies.

RugbyLover52

Bob McCowan (2)
Again people keep talking up Gunter's size!

There is a long way to go - country boys like him may still end up back at the farm earlier than we guess.

It is the same reason why Nudgee and other boarding schools have more schoolboy Aussies but not Wallabies.

I'd love to see you go up against a 15yr old country boy that size, on a rugby field after saying that, now that would put you in your place bud! I say the country boys are here to put the city boys to dust...

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'd love to see you go up against a 15yr old country boy that size, on a rugby field after saying that, now that would put you in your place bud! I say the country boys are here to put the city boys to dust.

Too right mate. City kids growing up don't even match the potential of country kids these days, bring the country boys here and you've got yourself machine like Ben Gunter, Reece Hewat and John Seabrook!

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
One suggests that where ever the coaches come from they select majority of there boys in the sides. I would like to point out for the last two years there has been favouritism to the coaches school sides but they have won it for the past two years based on the selection criteria ?

Can you prove any of this?

Is it just coincidence that the school with the most represntation also has the head coach?

I would like to think so. Churchie had a strong season and all those boys played 1st XV rugby under Gilmore. Nucifora, Perese, Scott-Young and Webb have all been very consistent this year and I'd argue are in the top 3 players in their position. Fair enough that the coach wants them in his QLD U16 side. I'm pretty sure the selection process isn't as simple as that though.

Can you name a few guys who you think are more deserving in those positions?

The only selection that leaves me scratching my head is Gimpel, Liam Wright has been fairly good this year.

To be fair, there weren't too many Churchie U16's last year that were worthy of QLD rep honours other than Tanuvasa and Schafer. Digger was too old and Mason wasn't at the school.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
Can you prove any of this?

I would like to think so. Churchie had a strong season and all those boys played 1st XV rugby under Gilmore. Nucifora, Perese, Scott-Young and Webb have all been very consistent this year and I'd argue are in the top 3 players in their position. Fair enough that the coach wants them in his QLD U16 side. I'm pretty sure the selection process isn't as simple as that though.

Can you name a few guys who you think are more deserving in those positions?

The only selection that leaves me scratching my head is Gimpel, Liam Wright has been fairly good this year.

To be fair, there weren't too many Churchie U16's last year that were worthy of QLD rep honours other than Tanuvasa and Schafer. Digger was too old and Mason wasn't at the school.
I agree about Webb, Scott-Young, Perese, Nucifora. All been very impressive this year and deserve their selection in the Red team.

I think both Paddy Dooley from BGS was the most unlucky to miss selection. Started every game at 6 or 8 and had been one of the most impressive in a struggling BGS side. Lachi Lanskey would have made a team at #13 but he might have rugby league commitments.

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
Lachi Lanskey would have made a team at #13 but he might have rugby league commitments.

IMO Lanskey is not a star player, too small, and is very poor in defence. Red was really looking for a big solid outside like perese mate, perfect in defence and in attack is one of the most dangerous in the comp.

Also big Gunter would have been an impact player even coming off the bench or run on for red, at least the white team wont struggle in size. Just feel sorry for him, defiently would have picked him over Swain any day

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
IMO Lanskey is not a star player, too small, and is very poor in defence. Red was really looking for a big solid outside like perese mate, perfect in defence and in attack is one of the most dangerous in the comp.

Also big Gunter would have been an impact player even coming off the bench or run on for red, at least the white team wont struggle in size. Just feel sorry for him, defiently would have picked him over Swain any day
I think you are mistaking lanskey for someone else? He has been the best player for BGS- breaks tackles, big, fast and doesn't miss tackles.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
I've only just started following schoolboy rep rugby, so can some one who has been around for a while explain something ?

The QLD Red and White teams have already been picked for the national championships in starting late September.
But the QLD state championships (incl U16) are not being held until about the same time (not sure of date?)

The QLD Red and White teams seem to be exclusively GPS and AIC players. Surely there will be some worthy players on display at the State championships.
Seems to be unfair on the regional players to pick the QLD rep teams before the state champs.

NSW seems to have 3 teams NSW Country, NSW Schools & Sydney Juniors

Is this the way it has always been ?

Natal shark

Peter Burge (5)
Would of thought Big Benny Gunter being in red instead of white, dont think any 15 year olds made it into red or white this year?

Nikau Te Rupe is 17 years old.
Reece Hewat is still 15 I gather he turns 16 at the end of September if you count that as a 15 year old?

Cherbourg

Frank Row (1)
I've only just started following schoolboy rep rugby, so can some one who has been around for a while explain something ?

The QLD Red and White teams have already been picked for the national championships in starting late September.
But the QLD state championships (incl U16) are not being held until about the same time (not sure of date?)

The QLD Red and White teams seem to be exclusively GPS and AIC players. Surely there will be some worthy players on display at the State championships.
Seems to be unfair on the regional players to pick the QLD rep teams before the state champs.

NSW seems to have 3 teams NSW Country, NSW Schools & Sydney Juniors

Is this the way it has always been ?

Cherbourg

Frank Row (1)
It's is true. Seems like only GPS and AIC players get picked. We got invited to attend those so call trails after the boys attended the indigenous trails in Brisbane. I can say it was a waste of time, effort and money. They trained and played a game for 3 weeks with the AIC players and on the last training THE SELECTS call in the the GPS forwards only to do a 45mins training session with no game. We are from the country and after seeing this display of poor managed selecting no wonder there is hardly any aboriginals boys playing union in the rep and professional level. If you are not in Brisbane area you got no chances. After watching the trails and watching a couple of GPS games, I can said that the boys from the bush have got if not more raw talent than most of the players that got picked in the Queensland sides. It is a shame that the QRU allow this to happened. One more question how many of these players are not born in Australia but allowed to represent Queensland.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Hmm that's an interesting observation Cherbourg but unfortunately in most cases it is true.

That being said, I don't classify IGS, TGS or TSS as Brisbane-based schools. IGS and TGS both offer significant opportunities for country kids to have a go. TGS has plenty of blokes from around the catchment region and Darling Downs/Downlands have had a few representative players over the years. TSS has a huge talent pool of its own.

One more thing. The indigenous program at IGS has been exceptional in recent years and produced a number of quality indigenous players. I think most the GPS schools are becoming more aware of the need to focus attention on these types of programs, I know ACGS, NC and BBC have indigenous programs designed to give a sporting advantage but also have academic requirements. They do however tend to choose the best of the bunch, those with previous representative honours.

Your argument stands true though. I'd argue that once the country kids reach about 15 they are pretty much written off unless they have a fantastic season and get noticed by a ARU or QLD scout. By that age, most of the GPS schools and selectors have a fairly good idea as to who should be next on the agenda. There are plenty of exceptions but my best guess would be that we have also let plenty of potential slip through the cracks.

Cherbourg

Frank Row (1)
Hmm that's an interesting observation Cherbourg but unfortunately in most cases it is true.

That being said, I don't classify IGS, TGS or TSS as Brisbane-based schools. IGS and TGS both offer significant opportunities for country kids to have a go. TGS has plenty of blokes from around the catchment region and Darling Downs/Downlands have had a few representative players over the years. TSS has a huge talent pool of its own.

One more thing. The indigenous program at IGS has been exceptional in recent years and produced a number of quality indigenous players. I think most the GPS schools are becoming more aware of the need to focus attention on these types of programs, I know ACGS, NC and BBC have indigenous programs designed to give a sporting advantage but also have academic requirements. They do however tend to choose the best of the bunch, those with previous representative honours.

Your argument stands true though. I'd argue that once the country kids reach about 15 they are pretty much written off unless they have a fantastic season and get noticed by a ARU or QLD scout. By that age, most of the GPS schools and selectors have a fairly good idea as to who should be next on the agenda. There are plenty of exceptions but my best guess would be that we have also let plenty of potential slip through the cracks.

Cherbourg

Frank Row (1)
That's all good but a lot of our boys can't stand the city and it's life. Queensland needs to read some of the Ella boys articles!! Look at the Queensland maroons league back line most of them are black and deadly, wallabies back line boring.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
There are well and truly enough racial threads around here.

I wasn't intending to continue the conversation, it was merely an observation. Let's leave this topic alone.

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)

Totally true, a number of boys whether country or city get noticed no later than 15 years of age, those exceptions of late bloomers at 16, will then either attend a GPS, AIC if rich enough, or a well known school for rugby league or union where they are then given bigger and brighter opportunities. If you're not down here by 17, sorry to say you are simply in the eyes of scouts, not good enough.

This then comes in working with the under 16 team, most of those scouted then work and train, and then given the privileged in selection into the red or white team, those undiscovered gems are also discovered in this team too with a fair few country boys in the white team

AICgossip2014

Frank Nicholson (4)
Jayden Su'a (qld 16s rugby league) on his way to churchie in term 4 to be in grade 10, will most deffinately be a massive threat for the churchie's first XV in 2014 and 2015.

also Kalyn Ponga (u15) was chosen in the qld under 16 reds side as starting fullback and told the coach before the team was announced that he could not take part as he has Australian Insitiute of Sport (AIS for rugby league) at the same time the carnival is. Churchie rugby director has said he is the greatest schoolboy they have ever seen coming through the private school system. he is also linked with the Brisbane Lions and Brisbane Broncos. He is also NZ u/18 golf champion.

Rugbyfan100

Frank Row (1)
Jayden Su'a is the boy i spotted at the trials. i questioned his non-selection into either U16 team and my boy told me that he also has nz rugby league commitments with Ponga. if that lad is still 15 i will eat my hat. If this is true he and Perese will be devestating as a centre pairing, not to mention the whole backrow. I might jump ship on favorites now for 2014.

AICgossip2014

Frank Nicholson (4)
Su'a is 16 years old and currently in grade 11 at Marsden SHS but once moving to churchie in term 4 of this year he will be back into grade 10 meaning he will have 2 years of first XV, yes ponga, lanskey, su'a and qld league player (spaander) who got a scholarship to NC from wavell and only lasted two weeks before moving back has AIS in New Zealand for league

Murphys Law

Allen Oxlade (6)
Technically sua is still 15 rugbyfan turning 16 end of year. Fine young man and sportsman to match. Also with Broncs. Well down Churchie as a good source tells me he has knocked back interest from schools in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.