• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Quade Cooper's defence this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I have to say that I've been impressed with Quade's defence/tackling so far this year. Against the Highlanders on Friday night he was superb with his ball & all tackling.

That hit on Hosea Gear @ the end was almost a match winner. If he can maintain this form in defence I think he can give us a big boost in winning the Bledisloe cup & Rugby Championship.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Completely agree. He also seems to be playing a bit more within himself - even though he still produces a number of freakish plays. Its worth remembering that only 3-4 years ago he was still very flaky/inconsistent at Super Rugby level. His 2010 season was a fair step up from what he had delivered previously. He is obviously prepared to work very hard on his game.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
He also goes out of his way to put big hits on the opposition captains and big name players. I like it, it may be a strategy he uses to make the opposition go harder at him in defence, so he can step/draw more players.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Greg Martin has said on many occasions that being able to tackle is a mental thing, he seemed to think that QC (Quade Cooper) did not want to tackle.

I wonder if Barnes' performances and his selection by many as our future 10 has spured QC (Quade Cooper) to actually put his body on the line?

I hope what ever has happened is a permanant thing

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
So far it's been a very big improvement, he could always make big tackles, I recall him making a few try savers last year at the least, but his completion rate & percentage of missed tackles let him down. So far this season his success rate has improved out of sight. Long may it continue!

T

TOCC

His problem has always been that he goes high to strip the ball and/or doesn't physically commit himself to the tackle..

Definetly a mental thing, but also a muscle memory issue as well. Unless he regularly trains and plays using the same method of using his shoulder and committing his body he is going to find it a hard habit to break..

He has made a good start in 2012, hope to see it continue..

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It was pleasing to see him involved in close in defence instead of hiding out on the wings.

There is still some way to go though, but it is promising. There is a very big reputation to live down, and the Darkness and Saffers will be targeting this weakness perceived or real.

Was tempted to make a facetious remark about the improvements in his defence and the lack of any Stephanie Rice distractions, but that would be inappropriate, so I will not comment on that.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
A perceived weakness is an advantage. Read The Art of War.

I was also impressed Quade went to defend at fullback when a kick was more likely.

Basically, he was putting himself wherever the action was going to be.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
It was pleasing to see him involved in close in defence instead of hiding out on the wings.

There is still some way to go though, but it is promising. There is a very big reputation to live down, and the Darkness and Saffers will be targeting this weakness perceived or real.

Was tempted to make a facetious remark about the improvements in his defence and the lack of any Stephanie Rice distractions, but that would be inappropriate, so I will not comment on that.
If I was going out with Steph Rice I would be the best tackler on earth, I would be tackling her to the ground and rucking her every time I saw her

Behold

Bob McCowan (2)
We must operate under different understandings of superb because while his defence has been better it is still not acceptable. He has gone from being a turnstile to a speed bump.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
We must operate under different understandings of superb because while his defence has been better it is still not acceptable. He has gone from being a turnstile to a speed bump.
a speed bump allows time for Pocock/Gill/Hooper to get to the ruck

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If I was going out with Steph Rice I would be the best tackler on earth, I would be tackling her to the ground and rucking her every time I saw her

Have you seen her shoulders though?

I would feel better about having her in the defensive line instead of Quade.......

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I find it interesting that most people are saying we put him back into the gold jersey because his defence has improved. IIRC, most people weren't that critical of his defence in the WC. It was his decision making and execution.

Status
Not open for further replies.