• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Quade telling it how it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Some interesting quotes from Quade about the game plan under Robbie

Quade Cooper's patience with conservative rugby has worn out and he wants the Wallabies to be brave, not boring, to boost their fortunes and lagging support.

"I know we're competing against a lot of other sports in this country," the five-eighth said.
"If people want to go out there and play a boring brand of football then there's other guys they can pick to do that.
"I don't want to walk off the field wondering whether I should have tried this or tried that.
"That's where you get the confidence from as a team because when things come off you feel 10-feet tall.
"That's something I'm really passionate about."
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...for-wallabies-to-be-brave-20120920-268sw.html

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I just read that as well, Quade strikes me as being his own man but i do wonder how many other players he is talking on behalf of.

J

Jiggles

I think a fair few. Robbie seems to have lost the shed to be honest.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think a fair few. Robbie seems to have lost the shed to be honest.
I think you are right but there aren't going to be many blokes taking his job who are going to put up with risks that don't come off and so the tension between creativity and conservatism will be a fact of life for the whole of QC (Quade Cooper)'s career.

J

Jiggles

I think you are right but there aren't going to be many blokes taking his job who are going to put up with risks that don't come off and so the tension between creativity and conservatism will be a fact of life for the whole of QC (Quade Cooper)'s career.

Cooper can play well with a conservative game plan, and has done so before. Cooper does well in teams have very clear plans where every player knows what their role is for each and every movement. The Wallabies just lack a clear plan, that much has been evident for every single year of the Deans tenure, both in the wins and losses.

T

TOCC

Cooper can play well with a conservative game plan, and has done so before. Cooper does well in teams have very clear plans where every player knows what their role is for each and every movement. The Wallabies just lack a clear plan, that much has been evident for every single year of the Deans tenure, both in the wins and losses.

Exactly, the Reds win over the Stormer in South Africa in 2011 was one of the best displays of 'conservative' super rugby I have ever watched.. Precision kicking/strong set piece and punishing defence....

Everyone was singing to the same tune that game..

W

What2040

alkl well and good espousing the virtues of running rugby, about not wondering whether you should have tried this or that. That's OK but sniffs of a totally subjective QC (Quade Cooper) view. This game is a TEAM game, a game reliant upon the players within. If the piggies do their own shit then often to the detriment of the backs and vice versa.

I love exciting, running rugby, open fast yet brutal all the same. I get excited about a pure backline movement from a set piece in which the winger scores a try in the corner. But I also relish the battle of the piggies, the brutal, uncomprimising contest.

Test rugby is generally conservative. There is so much at stake. I just don't know what QC (Quade Cooper) is getting at but if the whole 22 have the same attitude then what happens ????????
Maybe TPN and other forwards can try a few grubbers, box kicks, shallow kicks so they can " not be left wondering"

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Think the Reds and Chiefs game this year, all 22 were dedicated to the plan. Sure Kev got angry as fuck and that was brilliant. What Quade is saying is justified if the other 21 are dedicated as well.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
I'm more a rugby fan than a member of the cognoscenti, but it wouldn't surprise me if Deans is adopting a conservative strategy because the RWC he asked to be judged by has been and gone. Likewise maybe he's decided that attacking rugby hasn't worked for him and it's time to try something else.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Cooper is just making excuses for a run of poor games. It's not smart to criticise the national coach, but no doubt he's banking on Deans not being around in 6 months when he's recovered from injury. Not just banking on it -- trying to boost the chances.

J

Jiggles

Exactly, the Reds win over the Stormer in South Africa in 2011 was one of the best displays of 'conservative' super rugby I have ever watched.. Precision kicking/strong set piece and punishing defence..

Everyone was singing to the same tune that game..

That game is probably my favourite game of rugby over the last 5 years. It felt so good to get up in the wee hours and see that happen, knowing you were one of the few Australians to see it live. The score was tight but the result was never in doubt. Thats how dominant the Reds were. That game convinced me we were the real deal in 2011.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'm more a rugby fan than a member of the cognoscenti, but it wouldn't surprise me if Deans is adopting a conservative strategy because the RWC he asked to be judged by has been and gone. Likewise maybe he's decided that attacking rugby hasn't worked for him and it's time to try something else.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Cooper is just making excuses for a run of poor games. It's not smart to criticise the national coach, but no doubt he's banking on Deans not being around in 6 months when he's recovered from injury. Not just banking on it -- trying to boost the chances.

I can see what you are saying JJJ in terms of trying to get rid of RD, as I believe that QC (Quade Cooper) wants Link to be the Wobs coach.

But then that would apply to a large number of Rugby supporters as well.

I think this is his frustration with the whole Wobs/ARU setup coming through, not just covering for "a few bad games". He has never played well under Deans, as have several other players.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)

He's been very open about this in interviews throughout his entire time with the Wallabies, the media just picks it up when the conservative game plans are topical (post RWC, and now with Deans coaching scrutiny), it's nothing new.

J

Jiggles

Think the Reds and Chiefs game this year, all 22 were dedicated to the plan. Sure Kev got angry as fuck and that was brilliant. What Quade is saying is justified if the other 21 are dedicated as well.

Quade wasn't playing but thats another great example of a conservative game plan being great to watch. Going up the guts just after half time was epic.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Good on him. As a fan, I am sick of watching the shit that is being dished up under Deans, so as a player, I can see why Cooper is sick of it. Especially since he always cops the blame and cops criticism like, he can't play conservative game plan, which is utter bullshit. He, like the rest of the Wallabies, can't play a Deans game plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.