• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Quade telling it how it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
You make it sound like Link only just met him recently.
Maybe it was the year being frozen out from International Rugby that made him reassess his behaviour and attitudes?

Not meant to sound like that, the interview was conducted just after the Reds won the Super tittle.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think the biggest difference now is that the current Quade Cooper we are seeing wouldn't dream of making the same sort of comments in public that he did last year.

He has grown up a lot, is playing the best test rugby of his life and seems composed and completely focused on his rugby.

I think he would know now that if he had the sort of issues he had a year or so ago, he would deal with it in a much more adult manner.

I disagree.

I think he definity regrets the 'yellow' comment for sure. But some of the other stuff he said was valid, and I think he stands by it. Although he missed the lions series, the rest of this saga hasn't exactly played out badly for Cooper.

He now finds himself where he wanted to be 2 years ago - first choice ten, a leader within the group and coached by a man who actively seeks his input on gameplan.

I think Coopers grown up a bit, and I think Australian rugbys grown up a bit as well.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Do you really think Quade Cooper would come out in public and make similar comments now if he felt that way again?

I highly doubt it. I think he's learned that the way he dealt with it did little apart from make him look bad.

I also don't think Cooper would make the same sort of mistakes he did regarding his niggling of Richie McCaw in Hong Kong and Brisbane. I think he would be well aware that the outcome from that had a negative effect on his game particularly at the RWC and he'd know now that he doesn't need to do that.

Quade Cooper has come along in leaps and bounds both personally and with his rugby in the second half of this year. I think he'd now have the foresight to realise that speaking his mind isn't always the best way to go about things.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I said it at the time and ill say it again.

For all we know he could have made the comments behind closed doors and been told to fuck off. And the public statement was a final straw of sorts.

I think the current Wallaby hierarchy wouldn't deal with the situation the same way it was dealt with a year ago. And that really is the key point to be made here.

The niggle was a bit dumb. But I don't think anybody, Cooper included, thought it would go as far as it did.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Let's agree to disagree.

I think the mature Quade Cooper we are seeing right now would not deal with those same situations in the way he did in 2011 and 2012.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
For all we know he could have made the comments behind closed doors and been told to fuck off. And the public statement was a final straw of sorts.

And maybe he didn't do enough, or anything, behidn closed doors. No one knows but Quade and Robbie and maybe some senior players but they are telling. It's speculation wither way.

Either way, I agree with BH81 that Quade seems more mature and would probably now handle a similar problem differently, regardless of which scenario is correct.

I think the current Wallaby hierarchy wouldn't deal with the situation the same way it was dealt with a year ago.

I am not convinced that if Quade publicly referred to a toxic environment and stated he was tempted not to accept a Wallabies position if offered, that the Pulverizer and Link wouldn't drop him from the team.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
The bloke is an adult now and he was an adult a year ago. He hasn't found god like some want to believe, and his work ethic hasn't magically improved - it has been good ever since the laptop incident.

I have no doubts Quade regrets some of what he said. But in amongst the bad stuff he made some good points.

I don't think there will be another outburst purely because I don't think it will ever come to that point again in terms of team culture.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The bloke is an adult now and he was an adult a year ago. He hasn't found god like some want to believe, and his work ethic hasn't magically improved - it has been good ever since the laptop incident.

I have no doubts Quade regrets some of what he said. But in amongst the bad stuff he made some good points.

I don't think there will be another outburst purely because I don't think it will ever come to that point again in terms of team culture.

I see the same - especially the points he made (albeit they could have been made differently).

T

Train Without a Station

Watching an old Larkham game you will see a lot of similarities to Quade. Both errors and brilliance funnily enough... Oh those rose coloured glasses...

T

Tip

Watching an old Larkham game you will see a lot of similarities to Quade. Both errors and brilliance funnily enough. Oh those rose coloured glasses.

Your right, we should have been micro analyzing each & every error Bernie made in every game.

And then use errors as an excuse and turn him into the scape-goat for a bad Wallaby performance. ;)

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
FFS just stop it!
Quade is playing OK ATM.
Leave it at that.
Don't try and recreate history.
He is not the mesiah,but he has been a naughty boy!

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Ruggo my fault, some people put shit on him without knowing him, or the full story (not me).

Given what he has done on and off the field I hunted it down to say - well done, and suggest people don't put shit on people without knowing the full story (media especially).

T

TOCC

I reckon it's indicative of a player who is under a lot of stress, this contracting saga and lack of playing time has surely taken a toll, I interpreted the tweet as lashing out at external criticism and not criticising the wallaby coaching team.

Regardless it shouldn't be on Twitter, social media education for players is quite extensive and he would know better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Mountain out of a mole hill to be honest. I'm personally over the same boring answers players are forced into giving. Hell, this very site took the piss out of Will only a few years ago:

It's almost refreshing to see an Australian player to show some kind of emotion. Twitter and all these social media platforms are meant to make us "feel closer" to our favourite athletes, if we keep harping on them about speaking their mind, we may as well just have them quote Nike ads to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.