• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qualifying Final 2: Brumbies v Chiefs. Sat. 19/07

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Aside from cheering your team you should really get a long to the game Brumbies fans.

.@BrumbiesRugby will donate $20,000 to @handscanberra if 20,000 fans attend their final on Saturday! Great initiative team!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Chiefs should draw a better crowd, but yes - stop being pussies Canberrans.........

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
To be fair to Canberrans, a lot of jobs have disappeared down there in the last 11 months, so I'm guessing the fan base has been affected a little by the weaker economy.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Last match vs the force - freezing - 11k attendance, that is equivalent to 3.5% of the population. The same percentage in Sydney would have 120K watching the Tahs.................

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ha........

Beer tax put on Brumbies kicker Lealiifano

As if goal-kicking in the pressure-cooker environment of a Super Rugby qualifying final wasn't tough enough, Brumbies captain Ben Mowen has upped the ante on Christian Lealiifano.

He owes his skipper two beers for every missed kick.

The Brumbies' No.12 kicked goals at 78 per cent last season, rising to 88 per cent if you only count penalties.

But following off-season ankle surgery, Lealiifano has struggled to find that same rhythm, kicking at just 49 per cent in 2014.

After missing his first conversion attempt during their Super Rugby knockout win against the Western Force on Friday, Mowen pulled Lealiifano aside for a quick chat.

"I said `if you miss any more you owe me a schooner a kick'. He owes me about three schooners," Mowen said.

But Lealiifano on Monday revealed the stakes have been raised even higher for Saturday's qualifying final against defending champions the Chiefs in Canberra.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...rumbies-kicker-lealiifano-20140714-3bx0a.html

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Last match vs the force - freezing - 11k attendance, that is equivalent to 3.5% of the population. The same percentage in Sydney would have 120K watching the Tahs.......
Considering we have 2 AFL teams and about 8 NRL teams I reckon we do OK. What's your excuse.....

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Considering we have 2 AFL teams and about 8 NRL teams I reckon we do OK. What's your excuse...
Well, duh, maybe going and sitting in sub zero temperatures isn't to everyone's liking. I don't use it as an excuse, but I'm sure quite a few do.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Considering we have 2 AFL teams and about 8 NRL teams I reckon we do OK. What's your excuse...

Doing the maths, and correlating for more winter football teams in Sydney, that's 24,000; about what we got to our last home game. So, even stevens.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I can vouch for how cold it can be at that stadium. I went over there to visit a mate two years ago and watched the Brumbies v Tahs and it was freezing. Still, with enough rugging up and red wine on board it was OK.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Yep, fricken cold it is there! Anyway back to the game, I think the Brums will take it out by 8. Strong bbacklineand relatively injury free.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
Bah, Canberra can be cold but none of you know cold rugby games until you've seen Scotland play a test match in Aberdeen.

Get your coats and beanies on and an ale into you and man up.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Last match vs the force - freezing - 11k attendance, that is equivalent to 3.5% of the population. The same percentage in Sydney would have 120K watching the Tahs.......

And yet, 94.3% of fans outside Sydney trot this argument out whenever we start talking attendance.

There is fuck all else to DO in Canboring besides freeze your arse off so you might as well do it watching rugby and cheering like a mad bastard.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
And yet, 94.3% of fans outside Sydney trot this argument out whenever we start talking attendance.

There is fuck all else to DO in Canboring besides freeze your arse off so you might as well do it watching rugby and cheering like a mad bastard.

There's also the issue of proximity and ease of access.

In reality the SFS - the Waratahs home stadium - is relatively easily accessible for around half of Sydney's population. But as you get further out it's a bit of a mission to get to any stadium in Sydney. That's not really a problem if you live in Canberra, as nothing is more than a 20 to 30 minute drive away.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think both Tahs and Brumbies fans wish that substantially more people would come and watch their rugby teams play.

Sydney is a massive city so really you only need to get a small percentage of people interested to have a decent crowd.

Canberra has a bit of a large country town phenomenon where there is less competition from other pro sporting teams and entertainment options in general so you hope that there's more of a community spirit to support the Brumbies.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
There's also the issue of proximity and ease of access.

In reality the SFS - the Waratahs home stadium - is relatively easily accessible for around half of Sydney's population. But as you get further out it's a bit of a mission to get to any stadium in Sydney. That's not really a problem if you live in Canberra, as nothing is more than a 20 to 30 minute drive away.
I've heard it's an utter stain for the locals getting there, plus unlike the other Rugby grounds in aus bar homebush there is literally no pubs nearby. Hopefully that pie in the sky new roofed stadium in the middle of Canberra can get a good dose of reality sooner rather than later

Status
Not open for further replies.