• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

idaknow

Herbert Moran (7)
Great to see Harley Fox being selected for Aus Schoolboys, well deserved. He had an absolute blinder against Nudgee on the weekend with a man of the match performance IMO.

On a side not, the NC'S brains trust need to get their logistical side sorted out for next weeks clash against TSS. Obviously the walkie talkie used to relay the coaches message to "stop kicking the ####ing ball!!" didn't get relayed. Doesn't make sense to me when you are behind on the scoreboard to kick it down the throat to an Australian Rugby League representative fullback when you need the ball in hand to build pressure and momentum. Dumb rugby, and very un-nudgee like. Reminded me of the tactics seen by the Wallabies a couple of years ago.

Nightmare

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yep Fox had a blinder IMO as well. Tough uncompromising forward who rarely takes a backward step.

In relation to kicking it to the 15......... Yeah well that's not real smart football at all. Most times he got the ball he put Churchie on the front foot and they played off that.

Having said that the kid is and will be a superstar I have no doubt. Would put every cent I have he plays NRL before the age of 20 barring injuries. Churchie will miss him next year....

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yep Fox had a blinder IMO as well. Tough uncompromising forward who rarely takes a backward step.

In relation to kicking it to the 15... Yeah well that's not real smart football at all. Most times he got the ball he put Churchie on the front foot and they played off that.

Having said that the kid is and will be a superstar I have no doubt. Would put every cent I have he plays NRL before the age of 20 barring injuries. Churchie will miss him next year..

Ponga is in Grade 11 so he'll be back for more in 2015. Same for the #12, both Australian League representatives.

Even when they were two men down NC still kicked it :confused:

Nightmare

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ponga is in Grade 11 so he'll be back for more in 2015. Same for the #12, both Australian League representatives.

Even when they were two men down NC still kicked it :confused:

#15 won't be back next year,that I know.
#12 will be,Broncos have big wraps on.More suited to league IMO

L Yates

Herbert Moran (7)
Vale Digby
Digby our old mate who has written some great posts on this thread has quit and won't be back on it . A shame . I will miss his wit.
I saw him on Saturday and he said " too much bullshit on scholarships and not enough talk on rugby. Every school in qld GPS imports so why is a topic of interest on a rugby forum". I agreed some of the shit written on scholarships is pathetic claptrap .
I know the King will miss him.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
#15 won't be back next year,that I know.
#12 will be,Broncos have big wraps on.More suited to league IMO

Agree with your thoughts on the #12. Hasn't really stood out in the games I've watched and contained rather easily.

Please do explain why Ponga isn't returning? Switching schools?

Roscoe

Frank Nicholson (4)
Agree with your thoughts on the #12. Hasn't really stood out in the games I've watched and contained rather easily.

Please do explain why Ponga isn't returning? Switching schools?

Could be getting a start in Cowboys U20's next year, probably finish yr12 at a Townsville school.

rugbyhead01

Stan Wickham (3)
Little birdie told me ponga is moving on to league and that Broncos will be coaxing their #12 to join the NYC 20s for next season. Apparantly he only played rugby for first time this year and from what I saw against bshs and tgs, Could pick either code as a pathway. is it Broncos ponga with also?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Great to see Harley Fox being selected for Aus Schoolboys, well deserved. He had an absolute blinder against Nudgee on the weekend with a man of the match performance IMO.

On a side not, the NC'S brains trust need to get their logistical side sorted out for next weeks clash against TSS. Obviously the walkie talkie used to relay the coaches message to "stop kicking the ####ing ball!!" didn't get relayed. Doesn't make sense to me when you are behind on the scoreboard to kick it down the throat to an Australian Rugby League representative fullback when you need the ball in hand to build pressure and momentum. Dumb rugby, and very un-nudgee like. Reminded me of the tactics seen by the Wallabies a couple of years ago.

Re H Fox, totally. He is incontestably one of the finest loose forwards we'll ever see in the GPS competition. He has it all as a #8: vision, agility, strength, speed, powerful leg drive in contact, excellent fitness, hunger to run over the opposition whether in defence or in attack, and he kicks for Churchie for the line on penalties.

Roscoe

Frank Nicholson (4)
Little birdie told me ponga is moving on to league and that Broncos will be coaxing their #12 to join the NYC 20s for next season. Apparantly he only played rugby for first time this year and from what I saw against bshs and tgs, Could pick either code as a pathway. is it Broncos ponga with also?

Was previously with the Broncs now signed with Cowboys.(Actual NRL contract)

ird rugby

Frank Row (1)
Wow it certainly appears like BBC Rugby program is in dire straights with a lot of unhappy and disenfranchised people - there has been a glimpse of this at GT (although in reverse) this year and is certainly seems to be affecting the team.

I have watched all of GT games this year, and if you have a plan A that doesn't eventuate, and no Plan B, C or D then you can't blame the boys - its a coaching issue. Living off the vapors of 2004.

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)

In relation to kicking it to the 15... Yeah well that's not real smart football at all. Most times he got the ball he put Churchie on the front foot and they played off that.

Having said that the kid is and will be a superstar I have no doubt. Would put every cent I have he plays NRL before the age of 20 barring injuries. Churchie will miss him next year..
Isnt it sad that we are all talking on a schoolboy rugby forum about all of the current players that will play NRL !!

rugbyhead01

Stan Wickham (3)
Haha I suppose it is when u put it like that. But u can't go past that some of the league boys are contributing to good rugby this year.. esp Churchie. #15 is a freak and plays every sport apparently, footwork amazing, exciting to watch out there, 12 is pretty brutul in defence and had a hand in a few tries I've seen and is very fresh to the game, so is their winger I'm told a leaguie and looks the goods and even Fox was from league but thankfully has chosen union. Looks like churchie got the good bunch of league stars as other schools have tried and failed dismally to convert them from all reports in 2014.

Nightmare

Allen Oxlade (6)
Haha I suppose it is when u put it like that. But u can't go past that some of the league boys are contributing to good rugby this year.. esp Churchie. #15 is a freak and plays every sport apparently, footwork amazing, exciting to watch out there, 12 is pretty brutul in defence and had a hand in a few tries I've seen and is very fresh to the game, so is their winger I'm told a leaguie and looks the goods and even Fox was from league but thankfully has chosen union. Looks like churchie got the good bunch of league stars as other schools have tried and failed dismally to convert them from all reports in 2014.

In relation to the 15 you only have to google him to see exactly who were chasing him.
IMO Churchie have a great balance,but more importantly they have obviously been alot more selective in players.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Vale Digby
Digby our old mate who has written some great posts on this thread has quit and won't be back on it . A shame . I will miss his wit.
I saw him on Saturday and he said " too much bullshit on scholarships and not enough talk on rugby. Every school in qld GPS imports so why is a topic of interest on a rugby forum". I agreed some of the shit written on scholarships is pathetic claptrap .
I know the King will miss him.

I don't get the frustration TBO, given the hype around BBC all off season I really don't think we could be discussing the 'Rugby' without looking at what happened to BBC, the performance and impact of all the 'new' boys is a very obvious and import factor in that 'performance'.

Seems like some are happy to talk up the stars but don't like to see them questioned when the performance doesn't meet the hype.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Well at this point I think a three way tie for 1st (TSS, NC, ACGS) is likely.
IGS and BSHS to fight for second.
GT and TGS next and BBC and BGS filling the last two spots.

On a different note, still disappointed that Australian Schoolboy Rugby (or whoever makes these decisions) will once again send a Team to Sanix who is not our best HS team (yes I know it won't be the current crop of seniors). We need to find a way to treat this like NZ and send our best HS Team every year. Perhaps a post/pre GPS top 4 from each state tournament?

Status
Not open for further replies.