• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
The concussed 10 normally plays at 9 for GT and it was his first game at 10 all season, to be fair he struggled to defend in an unfamiliar channel, the normal classy inside backs combination for GT were broken up this week with the 12 unvailable through concussion from the Nudgee game and the normal Flyhalf playing at halfback against BSHS , that caused some major defensive lapses in the inside back channel for GT, that BSHS took full advantage of.the GT forwards were a little off their game and were dominated at set piece

So you think swapping at #9 and #10 caused issues? What would be the reason they were changed? The #10 was concussed pretty early anyway, so the B's fly half was thrown in the deep end.

Regardless, The #9 (who usually played #10) was still defending at #10, and the kid who replaced the #12 had played #12 multiple times during the season as the normal #12 (as you put it) has missed a few games through injury.

GT also dominated the Lineout, but struggled at the scrum at times.

The majority of BSHS score's came from turnovers quickly transferring to their centres or catching GT short on the blind. It would be interesting to note that Nudgee also scored through the inside channel in the previous week, so it's something that was there against Nudgee too.

Really, the game was lost at TRM.

I

iceman

So you think swapping at #9 and #10 caused issues? What would be the reason they were changed? The #10 was concussed pretty early anyway, so the B's fly half was thrown in the deep end.

Regardless, The #9 (who usually played #10) was still defending at #10, and the kid who replaced the #12 had played #12 multiple times during the season as the normal #12 (as you put it) has missed a few games through injury.

The majority of BSHS score's came from turnovers quickly transferring to their centres or catching GT short on the blind. It would be interesting to note that Nudgee also scored through the inside channel in the previous week, so it's something that was there against Nudgee too.

Thanks Tooms seems like you have some inside info there, I saw the GT V Nudgee game the week before and came along to watch this weeks game as I was already at Fursden watching an earlier game...not saying the swapping of #9 and #10 caused issues at all but the #10 going off early didn't help i guess..... the reason for the change? couldn't say, both boys looked similar to me, I just overheard some parents talking about the change actually , probably a question for the coaches ... agree GT struggled at scrum time and agree with where the game was lost

Rugby Basics

Frank Row (1)

Swapping your 9 and 10 was a major stuff up. Never seen the 10 play 9 before and vice versa for the 9 playing 10. They are your key positions that distribute and direct play. We lost all our scrums ???? Look I do not want to make this a negative post however I would like to highlight key components of the 14A Terrace Teams selection and game plan.

The commitment of the team is great to see but I would like to address getting good go forward ball for the backs instead of the current static ball where the advantage line barely gets broken which puts Terrace on the back foot straight away hence a lot of turnover ball and counter rucking.
Hit your inside channel hard off the half back with 3/4 in a pod and blast the ruck so no opposition get close to the ball. (Get past the ball)This can also be done from pick and drive from the back of rucks. Forwards must run straight .If the forwards cannot give fast,clean go forward ball to the 10 don't go to the backs.Give the 10 room/time to do what backs do. Forwards running too wide and away from support.
Work out who your strong ball carriers and workers are. Everyone has a job to do in the team.

Backs need to support, clean out and protect the ball on wide attacking raids. You cannot expect the forwards to run from the other side of the field to clean out and protect when backs are standing 5-10 metres away.
(3rd pod inside centre, centre, wing , fullback.)

The importance of dominating the ruck comes back to good structure to have numbers at the contact to clean out and present fast clean ball. Physical dominance is created here. Better to go 5m forward and retain the ball than 10m forward/side ways and lose the ball.

Goodluck on Saturday against Churchie.

I

iceman

Some interesting names in the BBC under 13A team that are undefeated .
Fullback is Jack Bowen whose brother played 1st xv last year and now at Broncos.
Centre is Simon Maafi whose brother played 10 in BBC 1st xv a few years back
But the boy they are all talking about is the right wing who has currently scored 20 tries this year.
Will he break Noel Mcleans school record for tries( when Noel was in under 15) of 21??
With Bshs out of the running this is going to be a great game between 2 undefeated teams BBC look strong but Ippy are well coached and will have some pride playing at home Ippy by 10

Chris Green

Frank Nicholson (4)
Will be a fantastic game. Several of these boys have run up against each other in club rugby, as well as played in the same State & City teams together this year so will know each others games pretty well. On paper looks like BBC have the slick star back line but don't count out the big Ippy forward pack. Ippy by 5 in a tight game.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Will be a fantastic game. Several of these boys have run up against each other in club rugby, as well as played in the same State & City teams together this year so will know each others games pretty well. On paper looks like BBC have the slick star back line but don't count out the big Ippy forward pack. Ippy by 5 in a tight game.

Does anyone have the IPS team list for the 13A's, might go out and watch this one.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)

I watched the IGS 13A game against NC last week.
IGS have 5 huge forwards and 2 big backs.
Also, a very good goalkicker.
Their strength lies in their massive forward pack
and this will be key to the win.
Game plan to nullify BBC's star backline.
Ippy by 10

jack07

Chris McKivat (8)
I watched the IGS 13A game against NC last week.
IGS have 5 huge forwards and 2 big backs.
Also, a very good goalkicker.
Their strength lies in their massive forward pack
and this will be key to the win.
Game plan to nullify BBC's star backline.
Ippy by 10
BBC Director of Boarding is the coach of the 13A's.He has a lot of coaching background in WA.
The forwards at BBC should not be discounted either.
A great goal kicker also and a slick backline.
BBC by 10

ACT

Stan Wickham (3)
wait until you see him play rugby league then. you would be suprised
This kids is the real deal! I heard a lot about him and had the pleasure of watching him carve up NC, by the way it was pissing down, rain did not affect that lethal step, passing and kicking game. The kid reminded me of Shaun Jonson, just better! I heard the he rips up the league field aswell, can't wait to see him with the cowboys.

Kepu

Herbert Moran (7)
Agree Ponga is a superstar, as long as it's dry. Not too many highlights from the sodden BBC game.
Not true in my opinion. He had an exceptional game against Nudgee (very wet) and even at BBC in the pooring rain! He is extremely talented in all weather conditions and those at the BBC vs Churchie game will agree.

rugbyhead01

Stan Wickham (3)
Ponga didn't feature as predominately in the wetter games for obvious reasons.. but dosent mean he didn't play well. The forwards control the wet games. I too think he is better suited to rugby, but I am sure he will tear it up up north. however much of a gun player he is though, sometimes too much hype at this age can be a bad thing. I'm sure the kid will agree as humble as I have heard he is.

I

iceman

Wasnt QC (Quade Cooper) talked about like this as a school boy? He was a schoolboy phenomenon. ..

L Yates

Herbert Moran (7)
BBC Director of Boarding is the coach of the 13A's.He has a lot of coaching background in WA.
The forwards at BBC should not be discounted either.
A great goal kicker also and a slick backline.
BBC by 10

Just looking at the table-BBC has scored a lot more points than IGS and have the same points against. Star players for BBC are 12,13,14 and 2
IGS have a massive forward pack and the biggest of the lot is young Takipolau.
Yes - his Brother Bronson was captain of BBC 1st xv last year.
IGS must have made one hell of an offer for him to not follow his brother to BBC.

phatmik

Herbert Moran (7)
Ponga didn't feature as predominately in the wetter games for obvious reasons.. but dosent mean he didn't play well. The forwards control the wet games. I too think he is better suited to rugby, but I am sure he will tear it up up north. however much of a gun player he is though, sometimes too much hype at this age can be a bad thing. I'm sure the kid will agree as humble as I have heard he is.

Forwards weren't really in control during the wet of ACGS v BBC in my opionion but Ponga and Nucifora certainly were though as there kicking game were simply far superior than BBC, particularly in the second half. What I really like about this Ponga kid is his ability to scan and read an opposition attack and be there at the right time to counter punch. The countless times that I watched him manoeuvre himself into the right area to counter attack either by running and or kick return "with interest" was outstanding.

Kepu

Herbert Moran (7)
2014 BGS wing Oli Fison is my dark horse to become the next electric fullback of the competition. He's got some great burst off the mark, and is just bloody elusive. With the BGS rugby budget presumably set to rise considerably over the christmas holidays after two consecutive 9th placings, I'd wager that Coach Emtage will have a much improved forward pack and a proper premiership quality flyhalf, for the first time since Sam Greene graduated - and it will give young Fison every chance to make his mark on the competition.

King, I'm sorry to say I can't see Oli Fison being the next 'big thing' in GPS fullback land and most definitely will not act as 'The Prince of Oval No.1'.

I have known of him for a while and didn't think he was anything more then a regular 15A fullback last year and at competing schools (in my opinion), such as Nudgee, I think he would just make the 16A side.

His defence isn't great, as was portrayed on the weekend, letting in numerous tries. Yes I know it was against the premiership team of Churchie but a 'great fullback' would be able to step up on his personal game in such a match.

In terms of attack, he hasn't had much either this season. I truly think he is filling the raw spot of Matthew Forsyth once he moved to Terrace.

Nightmare

Allen Oxlade (6)
This kids is the real deal! I heard a lot about him and had the pleasure of watching him carve up NC, by the way it was pissing down, rain did not affect that lethal step, passing and kicking game. The kid reminded me of Shaun Jonson, just better! I heard the he rips up the league field aswell, can't wait to see him with the cowboys.

Real deal Peter Micneal my friend.Ive watched him carve up for over several years now and to hear ppl question him on a wet track!!!!!Please his foot work wouldn't be affected on ice.... All I can say is I have no doubt ppl who have seen him play will be talking about him for many years to come.Me,I feel previlge to know such a down to earth kid who's levelheaded ness is years above where you would expect.

Murphys Law

Allen Oxlade (6)
My son ended his GPS rugby last year and ive only seen a few trial games and 2 other games this year for a nose. Ive been involved in both league and union over the years with the kids and my 2nd oldest is now in the league 20s program having played league all his life, while another in union. In respects to Ponga, I have seen him play league (only 1 game of union) and he has the best footwork I have seen, but I just hope the cowboys don't push him into the 20s or first grade too early. Ive seen many young "superstars" not live out their dream because of this. The kid might be able to handle it, but his body may say otherwise, and pushing too early can cause injuries too soon that can become life time struggles. As a 16 year old playing in U18 League Nationals, he struggled, so I say wrap him up in cotton wool and train him well until he is ready.

JAKE_THE_PEG

Frank Row (1)
Forwards weren't really in control during the wet of ACGS v BBC in my opionion but Ponga and Nucifora certainly were though as there kicking game were simply far superior than BBC, particularly in the second half. What I really like about this Ponga kid is his ability to scan and read an opposition attack and be there at the right time to counter punch. The countless times that I watched him manoeuvre himself into the right area to counter attack either by running and or kick return "with interest" was outstanding.

JAKE_THE_PEG

Frank Row (1)
With all due respect, I think the 200+ Churchie kids and the 20-30 BBC kids watching the game at Miskin St would agree that the savaging metered out on the hapless BBC 1st XV that day was principally at the hands of the ACGS Piggies. The only stand out backs that day were BBC's halfback, and BBC's winger (cousin of Matty Bowen?)....

countrylad18

Frank Row (1)
FYI the same people who made Kalyn Ponga's highlight video, have also made Jaydn Sua a video. Worth having a look at it. Full of big hits and great lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.