• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack07

Chris McKivat (8)
BGS vs GT Summary/Prediction was awful and inaccurate. Completely biased. However, ACGS and IGS Report First paragraph was very relevant.
I believe he was just being funny .
I laughed.
Who cares BBC may get up! Churchie may not win n GT may not win.
Honestly who knows, the sides will I am sure throw out a few surprises.
Good luck teams

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
It's on again - Round 1 of the Brisbane GPS season. The 9 team, school competition that breeds more professional rugby players than just about anywhere else in the world.

You can already smell the frying onions, Dencorub, farting school boys and the "Channel-no. 5-wearing" Churchie mothers standing on the sidelines.

Will it be another competition dominated by Nudgee and its 30 year rugby indoctrination and recruitment program, or will the shiny guys at Churchie finally stop talking up their chances and get the job done on the field?

Or will TSS do what they have done for the last 10 years and knock over Nudgee when we least expect it or flog a BBC or Terrace when no one predicts it?

Who knows? But this is my stab at Round 1:

State High Vs TGS at BSHS.
As already aluded to on this fine blog, you will be hard pressed to get a cold coke and a lolly bag passed its used by date down at Fursden Road on Saturday, but you might just catch a pretty good game of rugby or two.

The State High boys have looked good in some of the trials and have some pretty flashy, mighty midgets in their back line. Rest assured they will make some of their bigger, more fancied opponents look a little silly by the time the season ends.

The fact they do their training in their thongs helps no end and I recently saw an article outlining how Ewan Mckenzie was introducing similar sessions at upcoming Wallaby camps.

The Toowoomba boys won't know where they are early on and despite a nice afternoon off the range enjoying the sunshine in what is commonly known as the jewel of the southside (Carina), they'll go back up the hill with a loss under their belt and food poisoning from the 4 year old Sausage Rolls in the canteen.

State High by 8

BBC Vs TSS at Southport
Not sure who will have more ink on them on Saturday, the rugby scholarships from both teams or the TSS Dads - who will still be talking about how good their Boogie Board surf was earlier in the morning - as the teams run on.

Easily the match of the round, but only if BBC's much-vaunted forward pack actually gets on the bus at Toowong on Saturday morning. They had huge trouble doing this against Terrace last Saturday and the bloody game was at Miskin Street!

TSS will be slicker than that old bloke down at Surfers Beach with the spray gun and well coached too. I see them getting up by a G-string cord.

TSS by 3

GT V Grammar at Terrace
Not sure if anyone will actually watch this game, as I imagine a lot of the Terrace dads, (walking around in red parkas and thier sons' school hats), will have thier deck chairs facing the new grandstand and be busy taking happy snaps of themselves in front of it.

If they do catch any action they'll see those two big centres from GT carve a rather large hole in the Grammar back-line, who will actually improve when the lads from the Chess fixtures arrive after halftime and slot into the back row to add some weight to the Grammar scrum

Terrace by 18

Churchie V IGS
If the parents from Ippy are actually allowed by ACGS Security to park anywhere near the surrounding suburbs of Churchie on Saturday morning then IGS may field a full team. Chances are though they'll have to park just near the Story Bridge, so it will be touch and go on numbers.

Ippy will be up against it from the get go, but as usual the boys from the Switch won't give up easily. A closely fought first half will have the Churchie supporters doing Waratah impressions, as they scratch their heads trying to work out how much a GPS Premiership really costs and where their wallets went.

But after some nice halftime sandwiches and a pep talk from a couple of ex Wallabies, sanity will prevail.

The Ippy boys will get handed a discount voucher for a Wickham Terrace plastic surgeon and a Brazillian Wax joint at Bulimba on the way out and should reach thier cars by 7.30pm.

Churchie by 16.

Enjoy it all!!

wwb: As a Churchie parent with a rugby-playing (U16s) son, the whole family's just been rolling around in stitches after reading this. It's just gold, all of it.

Posters here with your wit, insight and sense of well-intentioned fun, clearly based upon a love of this wonderful game, just give our fans and all of it a good name.

Pride. Thank you.

chips

Stan Wickham (3)
Forget about prayers etc have just heard that kick off at Tennyson has been delayed until 2.30 on saturday due to the national anthem being sung by an ex terrace student before kick off. is this really needed at a schoolboy rugby game? afraid that the opening of the grandstand is going to take away the value of a good game of rugby!!!!

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
Forget about prayers etc have just heard that kick off at Tennyson has been delayed until 2.30 on saturday due to the national anthem being sung by an ex terrace student before kick off. is this really needed at a schoolboy rugby game? afraid that the opening of the grandstand is going to take away the value of a good game of rugby!!!!

I didn't know Jessica Maubouy went to Terrace..?

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Confirmed on assembly oscar Higgins will be benching and Gus Fraser will be starting 13

@SamoanNo8 can you confirm? I remember hearing that Higgins was in the squad for development, so it may not be a troll..

On a side note, BSHS star loosie Matt Feaui-Sautia is out for round 1 and potentially the season after injuring his knee against Nudgee. Details to come

jack07

Chris McKivat (8)
BBC have announced their team.No foulds, no Smith.
Only 1 boy from last years 15A team.
Lucky the new head of boarding recruited the two from WA.
Lot of rugby experience in the team,Barker doesn't seem prepared to try the league players.
2 kickers who can not kick from out wide.
Maybe 5 points off a try doesn't worry Barker, shouldn't he be looking for 7 every time?
Always remember that World Cup and Johnnie giving it to us Aussies.

RugbyFella

Frank Row (1)

The opening of a new expensive grandstand is kind of a big deal so shouldn't they take a lot of time to celebrate it. Also, I think that people will still be able to watch and enjoy the game. I don't think it's that much of a big deal.

Martin Tyler

Frank Row (1)
TGS are coming off a good win over BGS last saturday. The country boys will have to play a great game if they want to beat BSHS, but i think it could happen
TGS by 3
BBC Vs TSS at Southport
Will be a great game between these top teams. Ben Gunter, a true star of GPS rugby, and future star of Australian rugby will be making metres for BBC and will have to go over the line
BBC by 7
GT V Grammar at Terrace
The start studded Terrace backline will be sure to test the grammar outfit. Kyle Leofa will be one to watch, for the first 20 minutes that is, will be a sure test for his reportedly low match fitness. Connor Moroney, Australian School Boy representative, will be looking to showcase his talent. Newly announced captain Paddy Dooley will lead the light dark blue from the back of the scrum. Port Macquarie’s finest Michael Wolstenholme has shown much promise in trialing with the grammar side. While Tom Sly will bring the flair to the grammar backline. Red and Black will be laid on their backs and BGS will prevail
BGS by 5
Churchie V IGS

The formidable Churchie XV will surely take this one out.

freshmeat

Frank Row (1)
word on the street is that Matt Andrews may make an appearance off the bench for GT, seeing as it's going to be an easy game

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
TGS are coming off a good win over BGS last saturday. The country boys will have to play a great game if they want to beat BSHS, but i think it could happen
TGS by 3
BBC Vs TSS at Southport
Will be a great game between these top teams. Ben Gunter, a true star of GPS rugby, and future star of Australian rugby will be making metres for BBC and will have to go over the line
BBC by 7
GT V Grammar at Terrace
The start studded Terrace backline will be sure to test the grammar outfit. Kyle Leofa will be one to watch, for the first 20 minutes that is, will be a sure test for his reportedly low match fitness. Connor Moroney, Australian School Boy representative, will be looking to showcase his talent. Newly announced captain Paddy Dooley will lead the light dark blue from the back of the scrum. Port Macquarie’s finest Michael Wolstenholme has shown much promise in trialing with the grammar side. While Tom Sly will bring the flair to the grammar backline. Red and Black will be laid on their backs and BGS will prevail
BGS by 5
Churchie V IGS

The formidable Churchie XV will surely take this one out.

Outstanding report, Martin. It is clear that your knowledge of the game is immense and your literary skills are superb.

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
@SamoanNo8 can you confirm? I remember hearing that Higgins was in the squad for development, so it may not be a troll..

On a side note, BSHS star loosie Matt Feaui-Sautia is out for round 1 and potentially the season after injuring his knee against Nudgee. Details to come

Higgins rumour is uncertain as of yet. However, I can confirm that G Fraser will be starting at 13 for BGS, shifting star import Michael Wolstenholme to 14. BGS will be looking to add extra weight in the centres and G Fraser is the man to fit this criteria to shut down GT No. 13 Nikau Te Rupe.

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
After watching this game last week I have to say Barker seems to over analyse and the team seems to have no firm direction.
They seem to need a different approach as people skills are sorely lacking in the coaching staff from what I am hearing.
The backs coach at BBC needs to work on this as well as his plays.

Strongly agree

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
It's on again - Round 1 of the Brisbane GPS season. The 9 team, school competition that breeds more professional rugby players than just about anywhere else in the world.

You can already smell the frying onions, Dencorub, farting school boys and the "Channel-no. 5-wearing" Churchie mothers standing on the sidelines.

Will it be another competition dominated by Nudgee and its 30 year rugby indoctrination and recruitment program, or will the shiny guys at Churchie finally stop talking up their chances and get the job done on the field?

Or will TSS do what they have done for the last 10 years and knock over Nudgee when we least expect it or flog a BBC or Terrace when no one predicts it?

Who knows? But this is my stab at Round 1:

As already aluded to on this fine blog, you will be hard pressed to get a cold coke and a lolly bag passed its used by date down at Fursden Road on Saturday, but you might just catch a pretty good game of rugby or two.

The State High boys have looked good in some of the trials and have some pretty flashy, mighty midgets in their back line. Rest assured they will make some of their bigger, more fancied opponents look a little silly by the time the season ends.

The fact they do their training in their thongs helps no end and I recently saw an article outlining how Ewan Mckenzie was introducing similar sessions at upcoming Wallaby camps.

The Toowoomba boys won't know where they are early on and despite a nice afternoon off the range enjoying the sunshine in what is commonly known as the jewel of the southside (Carina), they'll go back up the hill with a loss under their belt and food poisoning from the 4 year old Sausage Rolls in the canteen.

State High by 8

BBC Vs TSS at Southport
Not sure who will have more ink on them on Saturday, the rugby scholarships from both teams or the TSS Dads - who will still be talking about how good their Boogie Board surf was earlier in the morning - as the teams run on.

Easily the match of the round, but only if BBC's much-vaunted forward pack actually gets on the bus at Toowong on Saturday morning. They had huge trouble doing this against Terrace last Saturday and the bloody game was at Miskin Street!

TSS will be slicker than that old bloke down at Surfers Beach with the spray gun and well coached too. I see them getting up by a G-string cord.

TSS by 3

GT V Grammar at Terrace
Not sure if anyone will actually watch this game, as I imagine a lot of the Terrace dads, (walking around in red parkas and thier sons' school hats), will have thier deck chairs facing the new grandstand and be busy taking happy snaps of themselves in front of it.

If they do catch any action they'll see those two big centres from GT carve a rather large hole in the Grammar back-line, who will actually improve when the lads from the Chess fixtures arrive after halftime and slot into the back row to add some weight to the Grammar scrum

Terrace by 18

Churchie V IGS
If the parents from Ippy are actually allowed by ACGS Security to park anywhere near the surrounding suburbs of Churchie on Saturday morning then IGS may field a full team. Chances are though they'll have to park just near the Story Bridge, so it will be touch and go on numbers.

Ippy will be up against it from the get go, but as usual the boys from the Switch won't give up easily. A closely fought first half will have the Churchie supporters doing Waratah impressions, as they scratch their heads trying to work out how much a GPS Premiership really costs and where their wallets went.

But after some nice halftime sandwiches and a pep talk from a couple of ex Wallabies, sanity will prevail.

The Ippy boys will get handed a discount voucher for a Wickham Terrace plastic surgeon and a Brazillian Wax joint at Bulimba on the way out and should reach thier cars by 7.30pm.

Churchie by 16.

Enjoy it all!!

You may over take "The king" as number 1 blogger. Impressive

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
Higgins rumour is uncertain as of yet. However, I can confirm that G Fraser will be starting at 13 for BGS, shifting star import Michael Wolstenholme to 14. BGS will be looking to add extra weight in the centres and G Fraser is the man to fit this criteria to shut down GT No. 13 Nikau Te Rupe.

Clive Palmer after lunch would have a better chance of shutting Te Rupe down!
Not gonna happen....

Status
Not open for further replies.