• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
BBC have announced their team.No foulds, no Smith.
Only 1 boy from last years 15A team.
Lucky the new head of boarding recruited the two from WA.
Lot of rugby experience in the team,Barker doesn't seem prepared to try the league players.
2 kickers who can not kick from out wide.
Maybe 5 points off a try doesn't worry Barker, shouldn't he be looking for 7 every time?
Always remember that World Cup and Johnnie giving it to us Aussies.

Your kidding. There is no punch in that back line as the centres are too small without Foulds or Smith.
What about all the injuries in the forwards? Is that correct?

Martin Tyler

Frank Row (1)
Your kidding. There is no punch in that back line as the centres are too small without Foulds or Smith.
What about all the injuries in the forwards? Is that correct?
Not sure about the injuries, but I can assure there is plenty of size in BBC

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
With the 2014 competition about to start, posters are reminded that the rules of the forum will be enforced.
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/rules-of-the-schoolboy-forum.5407/

Please keep the posts factual and respectful - we are talking about games played by school children.

Play the ball not the man - If someone disagrees with your opinion, then discuss rationally.

Don't talk up mates falsely. Don't take the piss of a lad from a low graded team.

Stay on topic. Scholarship and importing talk is for a special thread.

Trolls will be banned.

Racially offensive posts will be removed.

Be very very careful with discussing off field issues.

This is not a free for all social media site like Facebook, nor is it a democracy.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, flies like a duck, ... ... ... ... etc. No correspondence will be entered into.

Good luck to all the players and supporters.

The Moderators.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
They may have plenty of size, but IMO half of them were in the wrong line when the family jewels got handed out.

Might be a bit harsh, but IMO there are a lot more athletes at BBC than footballers - I don't get to see BBC a lot but the three games I have, have all been losses where they were beaten by better RUGBY players.

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)
Your kidding. There is no punch in that back line as the centres are too small without Foulds or Smith.....

Digby, I was a bit concerned after your comments, so I went back to the GT-BBC trial video to just look at defence/linebreaks through the 10s/12s/13s of both sides.

Clean linebreaks by all the 10/12/13s of 10m+ , when defensive lines were set, was approx. BBC 11 & GT 4. Your "no punch" theory is incorrect.

GT made major inroads out wide/wings with backs running at fwds/wings - so good reading of play & ball distribution by GT.

Mondays Expert is correct, those GT centres would be frightening if they just charged/got out of 3rd gear.

I think most of these street smart coaches wouldn't reveal their "real" moves in trials so that everyone can video review them later - they'll bring them out in the Fixture rounds.

Good luck to all the boys in Round 1 (where I aim to clean sweep the tipping!:) )

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
Good to see Warrenwobble gave the site a bit of humour. I'll wait until next week to reprise my reviews from last season in this style.
For what it worth - here are my thoughts for this week.
ACGS- IGS
If Perese plays the full match, this is possibly Churchie by 40 or more. No disrespect to IGS but they were trounced 50 -0 last year at home and that Churchie side did not have Kalyn Ponga. Asiata and Vui will cancel each other out and Fox and Scott Young will be sending a fearsome message because they were overlooked at the School selection table. A Churchie side good enough to have GPS reps in the 2nd XV will prevail by lots.
GT - BGS
Moroney's boys too strong. BGS in a major rebuilding phase. Expect a strong BGS set piece but Horan to put big GT centres into gaps now that they have had a week to have a rocket under them for their pedestrian showing last week. GT by 10.
BSHS - TGS
New forwards coaches at both schools will show their wares this week. I think the travel by TGS and the BSHS resurgence I am hearing about will be the main factors, although if F'Sautia is out that is a blow to BSHS. Initially tight but High School to finish strongly - BSHS by 12.
BBC v TSS
Match of the round status. BBC don't seem to have hit round 1 with good trials momentum despite the individual talent in the team. Interestingly the coaching nous of Philpotts advising Barker is directly countered by his Aust Schools partner Wallace. This one will be tight and down to the wire in the traditional of great schoolboy battles. TSS by 5 or less.

O

oli grandy

IGS Scrum pack is looking fairly good for 2014

1. Josvyn S. (1st XV 2013, U/16 Qld Red (injured)
2. Johann K (U/16 Qld White)
3. Sham V (1st XV 2013, U/18 Qld, U/16 Qld Red)
4. Isaac R (1st XV 2013, U/18 Qld)
5. Matt A (1st XV 2013)
6. Brayden S (1st XV 2013, U/16 QRU City Team)
7. Jaidan S (1st XV 2013, U/16 QRU City Team)
8. Unga W (U/15 QRU City team U/15 West Team)

There are a long list of U/16's and 2nd's player who are also available for 2014.

It may be the first year for a while that IGS has some depth in their squad

Johann moved to state high and is playing 2. for them

REDandBlack

Frank Row (1)
Would just like to make comment on the Terrace 15 A's who are looking likely for a top 3 finish if all goes to plan 4 them. With two new props big willy harrison and Josh nasser and last years hooker harry birgan returning this will be a fairly solid front row which will most likely dominate the BGS front row. With the new Number 8 harry wilson who from the couple of trials i have seen him play will most likely make some good solid runs of the back of scrums. Although terrace have faced a few injury's in the centres and have had to move a few players being shuffled around but with some good direction from issac lucas they should be able to adapt well and so long as they can get the ball out to thier wingers sam joesphson and will penning they will be able to dominate the grammar back line​.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
It'll be interesting to see who turns out for Churchie for round 1 with several not trialing for schoolboys because of league/injury and it seems as if they aim is to fly under the radar.

Will be interesting to see how they take on the big fellas from Ipswich

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
Digby, I was a bit concerned after your comments, so I went back to the GT-BBC trial video to just look at defence/linebreaks through the 10s/12s/13s of both sides.

Clean linebreaks by all the 10/12/13s of 10m+ , when defensive lines were set, was approx. BBC 11 & GT 4. Your "no punch" theory is incorrect.

GT made major inroads out wide/wings with backs running at fwds/wings - so good reading of play & ball distribution by GT.

Mondays Expert is correct, those GT centres would be frightening if they just charged/got out of 3rd gear.

I think most of these street smart coaches wouldn't reveal their "real" moves in trials so that everyone can video review them later - they'll bring them out in the Fixture rounds.

Good luck to all the boys in Round 1 (where I aim to clean sweep the tipping!:) )

Yes those GT centres are frightening and huge . So will the.y Churchie centres -- so imagine if Smith or Foulds or both were in the centres for BBC - that would be frightening as we'll

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
Would just like to make comment on the Terrace 15 A's who are looking likely for a top 3 finish if all goes to plan 4 them. With two new props big willy harrison and Josh nasser and last years hooker harry birgan returning this will be a fairly solid front row which will most likely dominate the BGS front row. With the new Number 8 harry wilson who from the couple of trials i have seen him play will most likely make some good solid runs of the back of scrums. Although terrace have faced a few injury's in the centres and have had to move a few players being shuffled around but with some good direction from issac lucas they should be able to adapt well and so long as they can get the ball out to thier wingers sam joesphson and will penning they will be able to dominate the grammar back line​.

Where are the new players all from?

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
Good to see Warrenwobble gave the site a bit of humour. I'll wait until next week to reprise my reviews from last season in this style.
For what it worth - here are my thoughts for this week.
ACGS- IGS
If Perese plays the full match, this is possibly Churchie by 40 or more. No disrespect to IGS but they were trounced 50 -0 last year at home and that Churchie side did not have Kalyn Ponga. Asiata and Vui will cancel each other out and Fox and Scott Young will be sending a fearsome message because they were overlooked at the School selection table. A Churchie side good enough to have GPS reps in the 2nd XV will prevail by lots.
GT - BGS
Moroney's boys too strong. BGS in a major rebuilding phase. Expect a strong BGS set piece but Horan to put big GT centres into gaps now that they have had a week to have a rocket under them for their pedestrian showing last week. GT by 10.
BSHS - TGS
New forwards coaches at both schools will show their wares this week. I think the travel by TGS and the BSHS resurgence I am hearing about will be the main factors, although if F'Sautia is out that is a blow to BSHS. Initially tight but High School to finish strongly - BSHS by 12.
BBC v TSS
Match of the round status. BBC don't seem to have hit round 1 with good trials momentum despite the individual talent in the team. Interestingly the coaching nous of Philpotts advising Barker is directly countered by his Aust Schools partner Wallace. This one will be tight and down to the wire in the traditional of great schoolboy battles. TSS by 5 or less.

No Gunter , no Karem, no Palmer -- all injured. And no Foulds or Smith means no win for BBC at TSS

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
Im not sure whats all the hype around the so called unstoppable centres smith and foulds, both are out classed in every way by their older collegians Sam Edwards and Jerumi Nanai who will play 13 and 12 I am told. Never had a chance making it over those boys, BBC did a poor job in converting the league players to union. And for Palmer? He was never going to make the side? TSS have Taylor out for the season and lack depth in the forwards and will be just as good in the backs. BBC with no Gunter and no Tuuga, no problem for the college though. A close game indeed, BBC by 5.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I'm in the same mind as SH. All reports I've heard say that Foulds "chokes" when trying to get the ball out under pressure, something he's developed a reputation for in League land - not a skill deficit you'd get away with in today's competition.

Smith's issues with union have been well documented on this forum, so I won't go in to it. But I hear the latest news is that Smith is the latest victim (for lack of a better word) of Barker's no dickhead policy, the same that saw Noel McLean play the majority of the season in the second XV. Smith was dicking around at training, and allegedly "complained about how difficult 12 was, and that he wanted a different position". As such, Barker told him to piss off to the seconds, where he has stayed for a while now

Interesting to see how injuries play a role in getting these lads on the paddock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coogee Boy

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'm in the same mind as SH. All reports I've heard say that Foulds "chokes" when trying to get the ball out under pressure, something he's developed a reputation for in League land - not a skill deficit you'd get away with in today's competition.

Smith's issues with union have been well documented on this forum, so I won't go in to it. But I hear the latest news is that Smith is the latest victim (for lack of a better word) of Barker's no dickhead policy, the same that saw Noel McLean play the majority of the season in the second XV. Smith was dicking around at training, and allegedly "complained about how difficult 12 was, and that he wanted a different position". As such, Barker told him to piss off to the seconds, where he has stayed for a while now

Interesting to see how injuries play a role in getting these lads on the paddock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBC should get the upper hand in the scrums: perhaps TSS in the backs. My 'two bob' is the game will go to the team that wins the breakdown, which should be BBC.

Status
Not open for further replies.